+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

  1. #1
    Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Born in London. Lived everywhere.
    Posts
    7,180

    Default How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    How much has the cost of living gone up where you live in the past year? Obviously, gas is up for everyone, but what about other things like food and water and shelter and that sort of thing? How much of a ripple have you noticed?

    For me, food is the most extreme place where the prices have just gone wild. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I know I buy expensive food to begin with, but the cost of my basic groceries has gone up around 30% on average where I live in Hollywood. A lot of the sort of luxury fruits have pretty much doubled in price. High quality and organic meats are up a lot. Seen less of a change in things like bread and eggs, which are up but not crazy up.

  2. #2
    Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,778

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    You've hit the nail on the head there - food's way up. Everything is affected as well - I'm seeing STUPID prices on art supplies and limited supply as well.

  3. #3
    Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    809

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    bag of past has shot up this year, £5 a bag, a year ago it was £1.

    i tend to eat a lot of salads otherwise and grow my own lettuce, cucumbers, obergenes, peppers, tomatoes, rhubarb, pears, and spring onions.

    but council tax, and energy bills have rocketted

  4. #4
    mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada;)
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    I live in a university town so the rent has always been quite high here. I actually have just moved into a cheaper place than my last, and for living right downtown I think it's a rather decent amount. As for food, I barley notice a difference but I'm sure the hikes will hit soon enough.
    I don't drive anymore, and bloody well relieved at that. Between insurance, repairs/maintenance, GAS!, sticker renewal, parking tickets,and all the other little extras involved,it was just getting out of hand.
    Other than that, everything APPEARS to be normal...for now......

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Same out here in Jersey. We started shopping at Sam's Club to save some cash. I'm not too keen on it being owned by Wal-mart but the big containers of fruit are too cheap not to buy.
    One of these days I'm gonna buy one of those gallon sized cans of chocolate pudding and just go to town.

  6. #6
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    How much has the cost of living gone up where you live in the past year? Obviously, gas is up for everyone, but what about other things like food and water and shelter and that sort of thing? How much of a ripple have you noticed?

    For me, food is the most extreme place where the prices have just gone wild. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I know I buy expensive food to begin with, but the cost of my basic groceries has gone up around 30% on average where I live in Hollywood. A lot of the sort of luxury fruits have pretty much doubled in price. High quality and organic meats are up a lot. Seen less of a change in things like bread and eggs, which are up but not crazy up.
    Housing went up mildly in Minneapolis. I'm kind of the master of the good deal though. Even Pittsburgh has gone up from what I've heard. I've been looking in the Bay Area. The market is tight although it really hasn't gone up price wise. Despite this, all three cities are buyer's markets. Best deals will be between now and October (fed will have to raise rates at the 10/08 meeting)

    OEC

  7. #7
    Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,778

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    What went way up is credit. A lot of people at 8% now seeing their CC bills, even if they paid everything on time, go up to 29%.

  8. #8
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    4,705

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    waiting for the 20% jump in natural gas, I think waters gone up a bit, a pack of smokes is 8.50,
    The prime interest rate hasn't gone up though

  9. #9
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Everything has shot up HUGELY here. Its been harder to get groceries for two for any kind of reasonable price... Food is INSANE. Its a HUGE treat to buy fresh food. Food isn't all where it hurts, but the amazing inflation of the real estate market by 'flat landers' (lol) has made it very difficult for the regular work-your-ass-off locals to find semi-reasonable rentals and that. The story's so old it should have been set to music years ago. ^_^

  10. #10
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Everything has shot up HUGELY here. Its been harder to get groceries for two for any kind of reasonable price... Food is INSANE. Its a HUGE treat to buy fresh food. Food isn't all where it hurts, but the amazing inflation of the real estate market by 'flat landers' (lol) has made it very difficult for the regular work-your-ass-off locals to find semi-reasonable rentals and that. The story's so old it should have been set to music years ago. ^_^
    Flatlanders? Are the scots throwing another civil war without inviting us?

    OEC

  11. #11
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Lol!

    Nah. Flat landers are those who do not live in the mountains. ^_^

  12. #12
    Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingsport Tenn.
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Can not eat out every night as I did... before....
    I have to cook, I am the type i would pay someone to cook for me...

  13. #13
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Lol!

    Nah. Flat landers are those who do not live in the mountains. ^_^
    Start an insurgency.

    OEC

  14. #14
    Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kingsport Tenn.
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    cost of living has not really effected me yet, that is the truth of the matter. I have to cut back really like said before. I can not go out and eat as much. Instead of going out 5 days a week I go 3 now...

  15. #15
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    Start an insurgency.

    OEC

    LOL I should, but I'm far to lazy and self-involved.

  16. #16
    VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    the planet zorg.
    Posts
    2,205

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    food and utilities are up here big time.

  17. #17
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    LOL I should, but I'm far to lazy and self-involved.
    haha well be sure to accessorize better than the flat landers. They sound like a shady lot of plastic pigfuckers in pearls.

  18. #18
    Bedlamite
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Places.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    haha well be sure to accessorize better than the flat landers. They sound like a shady lot of plastic pigfuckers in pearls.
    LOL Mostly just Florida transplants. They do their best to dress 'country' and ask blandly stupid questions about the Cherokee and Teepees.

  19. #19
    One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Subterranea
    Posts
    5,612

    Default Re: How much has the cost of living gone up where you live?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    LOL Mostly just Florida transplants. They do their best to dress 'country' and ask blandly stupid questions about the Cherokee and Teepees.
    ahh. Kitsch. Do people act silly if you dress up where you are? (I'm assuming somewhere southern) Minnesotans tend to dress for utility. It reminds me a bit of "grunge" looks actually.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM
  2. how much does it cost to fill your gas tank?
    By karyn in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 05:06 PM
  3. Racist Slur may cost Italy the World Cup
    By One Eyed Cat in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
  4. Living Legend
    By One Eyed Cat in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:50 AM
  5. What do you do for a living?
    By bre.star in forum Blue Blood Boards
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 05:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Blue Blood
Trappings | Personalities | Galleries | Entertainment | Art | Books | Music | Popcorn | Sex | Happenings | Oddities | Trade/Business | Manifesto | Media | Community
Blue Blood | Contact Us | Advertise | Submissions | About Blue Blood | Links | $Webmasters$
Interested in being a Blue Blood model, writer, illustrator, or photographer? Get in touch