+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Truth behind Diet Drinks

Default The Truth behind Diet Drinks

So I'm working a 2'nd job for a favor for my friend because he needed the help at this protein/diet shake mix place he works at. I don't really need the job..hell I haven't had to clock in to anything in over 6 years because of running my business..but i figured he needed help, I'll help him out for a bit.

So It's been two months so far and I know more than I ever wanted to know about how this crap is made.

Each truck we get of raw ingredients is approx. half a mil. So it's a lot of money coming off these trucks. Each bag of soy protein is about 80$. Fructose (sugar) is about 65$ and then theres other ingredients and the such.

We also get 100% uncut Splenda (not retail stuff) in 20lb boxes. Each lb being worth 6,000$. Just smelling the sweetness out of that box makes me have a tootache!

Well if a bag is damaged upon arrival we dont use it. Obvious health reasons, so we chuck it aside, write it off and that's that. Then comes quality control testing.
    Some times they "release" ingredients..even though they tested the WRONG ones. major no-no.

The ones that are legit to be thrown in the blenders we can use..but sometimes it's not the best thing. These bags sometimes sit on old pallets, with rusty nails sticking out poking through. Some people don't care and toss the bag in anyway, even though the bag is contaminated now.

Each ingredient bag that comes in is labled with the date it came in at, exp date and so forth. We GENERALLY try to grab the oldest ones first to use them up..but I've seen bags back in the warehouse that has been there since XMAS 07!

If a blend becomes "quarantined" (because it may have some leftover strawberry flavor in a cookies and cream mix) it gets put back in with the next blend little by little..not so bad really..except some of the stuff they are blending back in has been there since 2005. Yikes. So technically it's exp..with a new exp date on it.

Oh, and I wont mention some of the bugs I've seen in these bags that get blended with it.

Now onto the pay. Each "finished goods" pallet that ships sells for about 90,000$. Each truck shipped holds 44 pallets. 3,960,000$ total. We ship about 7 trucks a day.

Next time you mix some shake mix drink up remember the Behind the Scenes info here. Ick!

P.s. I dropped 1 1/2 tons of cookie crumbs today because the pallet was rotted when I picked it up with my forklift. What. A. Fucking. Mess.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: The Truth behind Diet Drinks

do you work at a factory or warehouse/distribution center? that sounds like a whole lot of materials being moved around, if it's just for a service site.

It's both. Daily routine follows:

Get shipments in of raw stuff.
    Blend raw stuff at site.
    Bottle it up.
    Put it on trucks to be shipped to other distributors.

I'm thinking of quitting soon anyways..seeing as I technically don't have time for a 2nd job and trying to run a business as well. It's taking a toll on the brain and body. 19 hour days for me. ;^(

Yeah, I can see how that can be overwhelming. it's great that you want to help your friend out, but I'm sure that he will understand that you have your own stuff to worry about, and maybe they can hire someone else that can focus on just that.

oh yeah, and on the general subject, that's how it goes with mass production. they try to do as best job as they can with quality control, but when you are dealing with such a bulk amount of materials, you just kinda have to shove it all through, so to speak, you don't really have the time or means to deal with everything on a personal level.

that's why small time businesses are almost always better,I MO. they can manage to be more hands on with the product and services.

Thanks for the heads up. WOW... thats crazy!

and thats even before mentioning the harmfulness and false hope of splenda.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Protein factory used to sell whey in bulk, I'd buy my stuff there. Or simply walk up and down GNC or other places and buy it when it's on sale, e.g. to expire next week so marked down to $10.

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

I never like any of those diet drinks any way, so i guess it makes sense lol, but i do like the protein shakes made from powder but would that be still as bad because of the mass production issue?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

6000$ for a lb of splenda? I had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by J. Babington
    I never like any of those diet drinks any way, so i guess it makes sense lol, but i do like the protein shakes made from powder but would that be still as bad because of the mass production issue?
    What I make is powder drink mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    6000$ for a lb of splenda? I had no idea
    It's uncut Splenda for manufacturing purposes, unlike the grocery store stuff. It even says on the label "Not for Retail Sale. If found in a store please call the hotline"...lol

Blackmarket splenda...

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

...powder...drink mix *looks at the lunch shake he was drinking* uh

Just stay the hell away from Slim-fast, or "gallbladder disease in a can"

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

omg ewwww yuk!

why does slim fast give you gall bladder disease? I love that shit.

but now that I think about it, chocolate shakes, no matter how many vitamins they have, comprising your sole food source can't be very healthy.

I dunno, but it's been implicated in gallbladder disease. Serious disease too, as in "schedule the surgery to have it removed."

who needs it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I dunno, but it's been implicated in gallbladder disease. Serious disease too, as in "schedule the surgery to have it removed."
    That's how they "slim" you down and take off the weight...by removing your organs.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Voldta I am on protein diet, he needs to get away from that shit and just eat real protein and greens vaggies. If you most do a Shake Way protein are the best really. Nastier than hell, just mix with water. I have lost near 110 LBS because of this type of diet just takes a little time. Dont lose faith just keep on it...

hey it all in the matter in how much he has to lose? I had to go Bariatrics doctor, if you or he wants that number I would be glad to offer it. I know how it is how hard it can be to lose the weight.

Your in Atlanta as well, or at least the area. Ill give helping hand if you want...

Bacchus88... you may have misunderstood.. my friend is not overweight..his family owns the place (i think) and he just is one of the head guys...but wanted help trying to get it all straightened out so there are NOT these problems.. heh :^)

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

mmmm...bug shake...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I think it's almost impossible to go through a life without getting a few bugs into ya here and there

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    I think it's almost impossible to go through a life without getting a few bugs into ya here and there
    Unless you grow it or kill it yourself you are eatin something you won't find pleasing.

If you ever had Taco Bell in your entire life...it's already too late to avoid all sorts of stuff so just move on you bunch of bug eaters.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Understood Voldta....but offer still stand, maybe a little different If you like I can ask my own doctor about said power shake which ones, from his medical view would be the best choice. You can that data and help out your friend.

Diet shake and whole machine is big business over all

+ Reply to Thread