+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What are your top five gothic songs?

Default Re: What are your top five gothic songs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vexbeast
    I'm not goth and I don't listen to goth songs.

I have no place on this thread and should be subsequently shunned by all of you.

That is all.

-Goes back to listening to Authority Zero and modern Bowie tracks-
    Not being goth is very goth, though.

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

I don't really listen to "Goth" music these days, in that I've finally decided to acknowledge that my favourite "Goth" musos either a) never called themselves that or b) actively eschewed the label in preference of something they felt better suited to what they did, like "punk" or "avant-garde" (a good example of this would be Virgin Prunes/Gavin Friday).

I listen to a lot of avant-garde (Virgin Prunes, Toyah, Yoko Ono, Danielle Dax, Roxy Music, Brian Eno) and punk-hybrid (Guns N' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Shadow Project, Buzzcocks, Dexys Midnight Runners) music. And i guess what I've seen called "proto-punk" in recent years (The Stooges, MC5, Velvet Underground, Alice Cooper [School's Out and earlier], T-Rex).

In the words of Rozz Williams, "I've never done a Goth thing in my life" and "No self-respecting person calls themself a Goth".

The most "goth" song I play regularly these days is "Boris The Spider" by The Who.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel
    I don't really listen to "Goth" music these days,
    '

then why the fuck did you respond to this thread?

just to prove to us how 'ungoth' you are?

you fail at posing.

spyinxxx's Avatar Member

1 Mandalay - All My Sins
    Lie in the warm sand
    And dig in my heels
    Cry for my dead child
    Forget how that feels

2 The Birthday Massacre - Weekend
    The time goes by and sets the stage
    They play their parts and act their age
    They never forget the lines that they say
    Speaking slowly

3 69 Eyes - Still Waters Run Deep
    Every time I hear you breathe
    in the still night next to me
    and your innocent heart to beat
    I feel so complete

4 t.A.T.u - Ludi Invalidi (Dangerous And Moving Russia Ver)
    Skazhi i poklyanis',
    Skazhi chto yerunda,
    Umri i pritvoris'
    Chto lyubish' navsegda
    (Swear to me
    Tell me it's nonsense
    Die and pretend
    That you'll love forever)

5 Painbastard - Obituary
    our last goodbye i remember your face and i cried

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

is type o negative goth? other than that I'm not sure if what I listen to is goth industrial ebm or whatever

but yeah type o negative has a bunch of fun tunes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    is type o negative goth? other than that I'm not sure if what I listen to is goth industrial ebm or whatever

but yeah type o negative has a bunch of fun tunes
    I remember hearing an old radio interview with Type O on 101.1 Detroit, maybe back in '96 or so, and Pete Steele called their "genre" "Junk Rock", stating "[paraphrased] ...well, we take everything old, and do whatever we want with it" -- I also seem to recall giving an example of crossing certain songwriting subtleties of Led Zepplin with The Misfits.

I find it interesting that most "goth" musicians are only referred to as such by fans; whereas most Punk bands will agree with the fans that they play "punk" music and most Mod Revival groups will agree that they play "Mod" music. "Goth" is more a fashion aesthetic than a real music genre; sometimes the aesthetic "leaks" into the songwriting, but musically speaking, Bauhaus is more like a disco/psychedelic pop hybrid and Type O's most obvious influences are Black Sabbath ("proto-"metal/hard psychedelic) and probably The Misfits (horror punk).

I'm totally prepared to get e-lynched for saying this, but in all honesty, Christian Death's Only Theatre of Pain borrows very heavily from Alice Cooper's first album, Pretties For You, which is very much avant-garde psychedelic rock -- just listen to the two back-to-back, it's almost plagiarism if not for Rozz's love for surrealist poetry and vocal stylings borrowed heavily from early Bowie and Bryan Ferry. So, going by this, I'd say that every incarnation of Christian Death that had Rozz Williams was avant-garde psychedelic, OToP, Path of Sorows and Rage of Angels being rock-oriented, and Catastrophe Ballet and Ashes (which is one of my favourite records ever) being cabaret/pop hybrids.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel
    I remember hearing an old radio interview with Type O on 101.1 Detroit, maybe back in '96 or so, and Pete Steele called their "genre" "Junk Rock", stating "[paraphrased] ...well, we take everything old, and do whatever we want with it" -- I also seem to recall giving an example of crossing certain songwriting subtleties of Led Zepplin with The Misfits.

I find it interesting that most "goth" musicians are only referred to as such by fans; whereas most Punk bands will agree with the fans that they play "punk" music and most Mod Revival groups will agree that they play "Mod" music. "Goth" is more a fashion aesthetic than a real music genre; sometimes the aesthetic "leaks" into the songwriting, but musically speaking, Bauhaus is more like a disco/psychedelic pop hybrid and Type O's most obvious influences are Black Sabbath ("proto-"metal/hard psychedelic) and probably The Misfits (horror punk).

I'm totally prepared to get e-lynched for saying this, but in all honesty, Christian Death's Only Theatre of Pain borrows very heavily from Alice Cooper's first album, Pretties For You, which is very much avant-garde psychedelic rock -- just listen to the two back-to-back, it's almost plagiarism if not for Rozz's love for surrealist poetry and vocal stylings borrowed heavily from early Bowie and Bryan Ferry. So, going by this, I'd say that every incarnation of Christian Death that had Rozz Williams was avant-garde psychedelic, OToP, Path of Sorows and Rage of Angels being rock-oriented, and Catastrophe Ballet and Ashes (which is one of my favourite records ever) being cabaret/pop hybrids.
    Everybody borrows from somebody. Everything's pretty much been done. Every genre always seems like a "re-mix" of another genre.

bilbrown's Avatar Member
    If you don't know where babies come from...

I was talking to Ruby at Gothic Beauty about what would be the top 10 Gothic songs of all time a few months ago, interestingly enough we couldn't come to a conclusion. These were mine... I picked 20 (no particular order).

1) Bela Lagosi's Dead - Bauhaus
    2) Temple of Love - Sisters of Mercy
    3) Strangelove - Depeche Mode
    4) Release The Bats - The Birthday Party
    5) Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
    6) No New Tale To Tell - Love and Rockets
    7) Every Day Is Halloween - Ministry
    8) Cities In Dust - Siouxsie and the Banshees
    9) Join In The Chant - Nitzer Ebb
    10) Just Like Heaven - The Cure
    11) Stigmata - Ministry
    12) Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
    13) In Dulce Decorum - The Damned
    14) Wax and Wane - Cocteau Twins
    15) Rain - The Cult
    16) The Weeping Song - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    17) Tainted Love - Coil (version), Marilyn Manson (version), or Soft Cell (original)
    18) Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) - Concrete Blonde
    19) Blue Monday - New Order
    20) After The Flesh - My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult

I hope this is a good sample.

For those that say, "well those 80s bands are not 'Goth'!" IMHO need to ask Sam Rosenthal over at Projekt who influenced him to start looking for new bands. There are so many more that aren't mentioned (Electric Hellfire Club, Type O Negative, Xymox (or Clan of Xymox), Rasputina, The Cruxshadows, The Birthday Massacre, Black tape For a Blue Girl, etc) - All GREAT bands with at least ONE contribution to the canon - but this is my top 20, not yours

bb

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    AK, When exactly did you think the whole 'goth' thing started?
    I'm thinking late 70's early 80's...maybe sooner?
    "Hello darkness, my old friend... I've come to talk to you again..."

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I get it already.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Okay, to clear things up:

Gothic is a type of architecture. The mindset that people think of as "goth" generally includes such behavior as depression, moodiness, morbidity, pessimism, and obsessions with failure, pain and death. By this definition, there's another word we could use in place of "gothic"...

... TEENAGE!

Anyway, I have two lists of five; one for anthems of the Goth-Rock genre and one for Goth-Industrial.

1. Bauhaus - "Double Dare"
    2. The Cure - "Burn"
    3. Joy Division - "Dead Souls"
    4. New Order - "Blue Monday"
    5. Sisters of Mercy - "Lucretia My Reflection"

And...

1. Skinny Puppy - "Dig It"
    2. Front 242 - "Headhunter"
    3. Ministry - "So What"
    4. KMFDM - "Juke Joint Jezebel"
    5. My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan"

I'll save the rest of my semantics rant for later.

+ Reply to Thread