+ Reply to Thread

Thread: alternate history

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Default alternate history

if youve read any or are into it, whats a good alternate history story youve read.?

i read a good one where an old jew hides a werewolf whos being chased, i think its set in just before ww2 in the ghetto.

i find the best are the short stories because they leave you to think about the details that a longer book would go into.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: alternate history

Joe Lansdale's written a good tale or two in that genre. I can't remember which, but he's a brilliant author, so you'll enjoy reading Lansdale anthologies hunting for them.

Tom Holland's written a few of the kind of Gothic horror-alternate history style fiction your describing. They're not great literature but they rattle along at a fair pace.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

There's a novel called "Werewolvess" by Jerry and Sharon Ahern in which Hitler creates a whole strike force of werewolves for service in the SS.
    There's a great part that has hundreds of werewolvws charging a city street leaving a gory mess in their wake. Pretty cool.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Funnily enough, that's based on real history. Well... sort of.

In the dying years of the Third Reich, Hitler set up a secret organisation designed to conduct guerilla warfare against the approaching Allied forces, modelled on the French Resistance. He called it the Werewolf Korps, with its propaganda unit known as Radio Werewolf (wonder if they played 'Bark at the Moon'?). I don't think it included any 'real' werewolves, or if it did, they were pretty feeble specimens, as after only one operation - the assassination of a pro-Allied German mayor - the organisation collapsed. (And so ends your 'pointless history 101' class for today.)

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Dunno if anyone knows the game Iron Storm. It's an ego shooter set in an alternate history, the year is 1950 something, it's still WWI tho, and you're fighting against the soviets. Awesome setting, great weapon- and vehicle designs and the gasmask soviets look pretty cool.
    Multiplayer mode sucks, tho.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    Funnily enough, that's based on real history. Well... sort of.

In the dying years of the Third Reich, Hitler set up a secret organisation designed to conduct guerilla warfare against the approaching Allied forces, modelled on the French Resistance. He called it the Werewolf Korps, with its propaganda unit known as Radio Werewolf (wonder if they played 'Bark at the Moon'?). I don't think it included any 'real' werewolves, or if it did, they were pretty feeble specimens, as after only one operation - the assassination of a pro-Allied German mayor - the organisation collapsed. (And so ends your 'pointless history 101' class for today.)

That's actually pretty fascinating

+ Reply to Thread