+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finished my Girlfriend's Next Tattoo

Default Finished my Girlfriend's Next Tattoo

I just finished drawing and adjusting the print size of what will be my girlfriend's next tattoo. She's getting it done this friday.

As can be guessed from the design, it'll go on her upper left leg/hip, to match the upper leg and pelvis bones. The legbone will start a little bit above the knee, and going up move further left so it looks good both from the front and from the side. The upper front spike of the upper part points roughly at the belly button, the outer spikes wrap around her hip to touch on her ass and lower back along the shape of her own pelvis bone. It's a rather three dimensional area to work on, so it'll look a bit different than on paper.

I'm glad it's finished. I've been working on various versions of this idea sporadically over the last half year. I'm horribly slow with a pencil, and photoshop's worse; I only really draw something like once a year, and have never gotten any real practise. Re-doing little details and more than once the entire thing - cause y'know, it's still a tattoo - was one of the least continuously satisfying creative processes I've been through, but the point where it's done is awesome and seeing it on the flesh will be more so.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Default Re: Finished my Girlfriend's Next Tattoo

For a simple vector design like that, you should use Illustrator. It would be a thousand times easier than trying to use PS.

This one's the latest in a common theme we've got going for her. Lemme dig up her older tattoos...

Here's a pic of the eye on her wrist; I think it's her second tattoo, but it's one of the two she had before I met her. It's pretty neat, but rarely appears in pictures because armwarmers are always part of our outfits.

Here's her first (upper chest) and third (stomach) ones, right after the third had been set. The one on her chest is the first she got; I think it was copied right from a Louis Royo drawing. It set the theme, but lacks the bone-inspired shapes of our own designs.

The one on her stomach is the first one I drew for her. I hadn't known her for very long, and when she started talking about how she wanted a tattoo to go with the others there I stole a pencil and paper from her baby sister and drew this up in an hour or so; it never even saw photoshop, and I never really believed she'd go out and get it. She did though, and although I wish I'd spent some more time on it it's still pretty cool.

And here's her last one right after she got it, which was about a year ago; the spine/wings on her back. Like the current one it took me ages to draw and puzzle together in photoshop, and I almost quit a few times halfway through, but it really turned out sweet. It looks especially cool when she's lying on her side or something and it bends along with her spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    For a simple vector design like that, you should use Illustrator. It would be a thousand times easier than trying to use PS.
    Never used that, but I'll download it and find out, thanks.

Oh my gosh, that last one is phenomenal! I always worried about getting a tattoo that would become distorted in a weird way if I moved - you nailed that. Grrreat work.

Also, please post the finished product.

6. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Alias For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

That back piece is pretty sick.

8. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Rockwulf For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

The spine is niiice when she moves. It was the best area to work with though; I'm hoping for the hip to hold even just almost as well. The tribal exoskeleton thing seems like a winning formula there.

Basic pics of this one should be up this weekend.

Raza, do you have any tats?

None, just a few piercings and scars. I'm sticking with that unless/until I think of a suitably cool theme that'll work for my entire body like the one my girlfriend has going; I don't really want just loose images here and there.

She's got the best I can think of though, so I'm not seeing it happen soon. But I'm happy; I'm getting two more piercings sometime this month, and other plans are building.

You?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

The back tat is very cool.

13. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax Knucklebones For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

Oh, no, same as you. If I ever do, it would be something moderate (I doubt I could devote to something like your lady's).

I couldn't agree more about the "just loose" tattoos. And don't get me started on the Why Would You Do That tattoos of Loony Tunes and beer logos that look like a pirate on ecstasy needled in.

I'm not sure what strikes your fancy, but I've seem some nice revealing-the-inside-as-a-computer parts and steampunk-ish gears under the skin type of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias
    Oh, no, same as you. If I ever do, it would be something moderate (I doubt I could devote to something like your lady's).

I couldn't agree more about the "just loose" tattoos. And don't get me started on the Why Would You Do That tattoos of Loony Tunes and beer logos that look like a pirate on ecstasy needled in.

I'm not sure what strikes your fancy, but I've seem some nice revealing-the-inside-as-a-computer parts and steampunk-ish gears under the skin type of stuff.
    I have a really awesome seampunk heart design that I want to use if I ever get into really crazy good shape.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

thank satan that you just drew it because I thought that you had decided to become a scratcher when I read the thread title.

I'm not sure how it is there, but in the states it's usually douchebag jocks that get "tribal" tattoos. Also they aren't really tribal, they are some shit that a white dude made up in the late 60's, whose work is actually pretty cool but has since been ruined by the previously mentioned people. I also am not very cool with people who get a tattoo style or design that comes from of a community cultural tradition that they aren't a part of.

But anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is that those designs are really rad on her and despite all the shit that I may be talking here, they seem to be a perfect fit for her style.

17. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Morning Glory For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)
    Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

That spinal design is beautiful, Raza! Nice work! I love when people really get that the special thing about skin art is that it is on skin. I'll be really interested to see how her hip turns out.

19. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Amelia G For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)
    Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

kinda reminds me of what i got on my head... its bone tribal..

i hate to say tribal cuz im not in a tribe and i doubt she is either...but otherwise...COOLIO!!!

21. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Thistle Harlequin For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

Wow that looks great, did someone say you needed it turning into a vector?

23. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to percolator fish For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

Well Raza looks like you found a new side job. Making tattoo designs for Blueblooders

I really like the idea of revealing-the-inside (bio)mechanical/electronic/cybernetic tattoos, but I find that such detail often loses a good bit of its impact when it lacks texture and the ink dulls a bit after a year or two. I think if I were looking to design something like that I'd want to have a part of it (wirings?) lifted up by making them into scars first, and probably look for some screw-head shaped MDA piercings too.

Does anyone know if there's screw head shaped anchor heads for sale anywhere? It seems like a simple enough idea, considering that'd pretty much make them into plain screws.

Still, while I love cyberpunk and mechanical stuff, I'm not really dedicated enough to it that I want to take it with me in every look I do. I'd rather (an am) do it with layers of clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    thank satan that you just drew it because I thought that you had decided to become a scratcher when I read the thread title.

I'm not sure how it is there, but in the states it's usually douchebag jocks that get "tribal" tattoos. Also they aren't really tribal, they are some shit that a white dude made up in the late 60's, whose work is actually pretty cool but has since been ruined by the previously mentioned people. I also am not very cool with people who get a tattoo style or design that comes from of a community cultural tradition that they aren't a part of.

But anyway, what I'm trying to get at here is that those designs are really rad on her and despite all the shit that I may be talking here, they seem to be a perfect fit for her style.
    Thanks! There's always that factor of confusion when you ask who 'did' a tat, or who's 'the artist'. I still don't know what they're really asking when you have to enter that field in forms on body mod websites. Knowing my history with 'artist' crediting, it's probably the photographer of the pic you're sending in.

And while I lack such a notion of culture theft, I do hear you on the rep of tribal tattoos. I've browsed through all tribals in the tattoo shop's impressive collection of suggested design books, and it's mostly extremely generic. Even among the lamest class of consumer tattoowork though, I think they stand out positively by virtue of not being little pictures of something else, which is a lot harder to pull off in skin art.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    That spinal design is beautiful, Raza! Nice work! I love when people really get that the special thing about skin art is that it is on skin. I'll be really interested to see how her hip turns out.
    Thanks!

I hear you on the 'on skin' thing. Same with clothing, it's gotta work with your body's shapes, not just find a flat area and slap a picture on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    kinda reminds me of what i got on my head... its bone tribal..

i hate to say tribal cuz im not in a tribe and i doubt she is either...but otherwise...COOLIO!!!
    Bone tribal's what I'd call it, probably. Got a picture of your head?

Also, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by percolator fish
    Wow that looks great, did someone say you needed it turning into a vector?
    Rockwulf said something about vectors, but the image's functional as it is, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Well Raza looks like you found a new side job. Making tattoo designs for Blueblooders
    Oh gawd no. >_<

If I had to do this more than once a year I'd develop an unhealthy speed habbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I really like the idea of revealing-the-inside (bio)mechanical/electronic/cybernetic tattoos, but I find that such detail often loses a good bit of its impact when it lacks texture and the ink dulls a bit after a year or two. I think if I were looking to design something like that I'd want to have a part of it (wirings?) lifted up by making them into scars first, and probably look for some screw-head shaped MDA piercings too.
    Sounds like you've thought this out thoroughly. A three-dimensional tattoo? Regardless if you do it or not, wicked idea.

Sounds like you've thought this out thoroughly. A three-dimensional tattoo? Regardless if you do it or not, wicked idea.

Yeah that is a pretty neat concept. Taking a 2d medium and bringing it to the 3d world.

Could Scarify where the bolts/gear edges are.

Man, really a whole world of ideas come to mind now. Any tattoo that is detailed with a bit of scarring would make it incredibly unique.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

wow that's amazing...
    i want tattoos like that. mine are all random... and few...
    at least they are filled with meaning ^.^

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Oh gawd no. >_<

If I had to do this more than once a year I'd develop an unhealthy speed habbit.
    damn it, i was gonna ask. would love to get something in a similar style done myself

very awesome work. she really does have great tats. i may have recognized her from another site because of hers - was she once a "goth babe of the week" perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    damn it, i was gonna ask. would love to get something in a similar style done myself
    same. D:
    i'm having a hard time getting tattoos designed because, well, i'd have to pay for it.
    and i'm sucky at designing stuff....

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Good work Raza. They're all good but I like the back is def. my fave. Great looking wings.

33. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mystoo For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)
    SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I love the spinal tat! Very nicely done.

35. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to SyntheticShock For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

word. so. so. awesome. i'm jealous. it's pretty much... something i'm looking for.

37. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to soma_stardust For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

i c 2 penuses

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Yeah that is a pretty neat concept. Taking a 2d medium and bringing it to the 3d world.

Could Scarify where the bolts/gear edges are.

Man, really a whole world of ideas come to mind now. Any tattoo that is detailed with a bit of scarring would make it incredibly unique.
    I think it could be cool, yeah. I'm not sure how well it'd work though; when Izta (that's my gf) was getting her last tattoo done I overheard the tattoo shop's people talking to a customer who wanted a tattoo over a flat scarred area, and they said that scar tissue was 'spongy' and that the ink would run within it. I take that to mean that you could tattoo scars so long as all the actual scar tissue is supposed to be the same color, and that could be worked with easily enough if doing edges or wires or something like that; but I've only that very abstract idea of how it might work.

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    wow that's amazing...
    i want tattoos like that. mine are all random... and few...
    at least they are filled with meaning ^.^
    Meaning's the flip side of the coin, of course; her tats are all there purely to look good. Now you can wax philosophical about beauty as reasonably as you can involve conceptual meaning into aesthetic appreciation - simultaneously, in fact - so I'd say both are equally valid.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa

very awesome work. she really does have great tats. i may have recognized her from another site because of hers - was she once a "goth babe of the week" perchance?
    Heh, sorry. I'm way too flaky to take requests or commissions anyway; the only reason I ever got these done is because she's right there with me five days a week to remind me.

I've got things to draw I promised to close friends as it is, and it's not happening cause I sit down for it and then my pencil's gone and I look for it and Hey!, it's that weelcap I was gonna make into a cyberpunk shield and that's fun and lets do that first now and suddenly it's three weeks later and my sketches are solidly buried under a mountain of junk, most likely irretrievable for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by allah
    nice tattoo of a penis.
    I caught that, yeah, but meh; it's what that bone looks like and penises don't really bother me either way.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

you can kinda see it here

I wouldn't call that tribal, or even bone. I'd call it a black skeleton. ::shrug::

Is that skeleton boning your ear?

It's tribal by the altered tattoo-context definition in that it's composed of pointly, somewhat stylised solid black shapes. Entirely different scale than my girlfriend's stuff, but definitely the same defining themes. Pretty cool too.

Also, yay for barbed wire. You look soft and yummy under it.

ETA to aXa: Yeah, think she was goth babe of the week on something or another once. Industrial-something maybe? It was kinda grabbed out of nowhere, not a site we actually participated on. *shrug*

Just another vote for one of the best back tattoo's I've seen in a long time!

45. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Bat For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

Raza, you wouldn't happen to previously posted on this board under the name Tequila Zaire, would you?

I haven't gone by anything but Raza or Razor since I entered the internets. Why? Was that someone who drew similar stuff?

Also, the new one's done and looking sweet. I'll get a pic when the foil can come off and she's had a shower.

they wrap tattoos in aluminum foil there? youch.

I agree. That back piece is pretty awesome.

50. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicotine For This Useful Post:

Raza (01-25-2012)

Plastic foil.

oh yeah, that's a dumb idea. sounds like some shit you'd see on one of those TV shows. you should wrap a tattoo in bandage so that it can get air, not suffocate it under plastic. Unless you want it to dry out and bleed ink, so that you have to get it redone after it fucks up.

+ Reply to Thread