+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Banning & What You Can Handle

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Banning & What You Can Handle

Quote Originally Posted by Vix
    Why dont the 2... 3 or maybe more of you GET A ROOM and sort it out????
    this seems crazy that this is still 1 of the most popular threads. Yes i know i am responding, but only to say PLZ take this elsewhere. OR lock this thread, it is getting nowhere.

I was gonna actually put forth some of my own input on the discussion of Trolling... but i think that may deserve a thread of its own as this seems to have been completely taken over by rant and rambles

Okay people, I finally gave allah the option of deciding to be a part of the community or deciding to be banned and he hasn't posted since. There is no "elsewhere" to take the conversation, as it is wholly on-topic. So what is up with all the wowzers-this-thread-is-still-going bumps?

Default trolling

I was going to post this earlier, but i completely forgot. That and i have been enjoying a few glasses of wine, this may even be irrelivent by now, but i did have a thought and i shall now share it.
    Trolling, this idea has really distrurbed me. Obvioulsy, it started on the banning thread, but as i said i wish to make a completely new thread regarding solely on the idea of "trolling".
    I am meant to believe that trolling is someone who visits the forums, and contributes, but only negitively. Someone who shares their opinion, partakes in the forum rules, has an account ect, but only looks at the negitive outcome? Yes or no? I'm not sure.
    But my problem is freedom of speech perhaps this "troll" is really just a negitive person, why cant they say what they want? ( they can and ofc they will, but why is this such a bad thing?)
    Please correct me if i got the whole idea wrong.
    I love Trolls, i think they balance out the namsey pamsey "niceness" of a forum and also bring a bit of good old gumph. Bring on the trolls! I would like to meet them

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Re: trolling

All I needed was an excuse to post this.

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Something... probably my good sense... tells me this isn't going to be a productive employment of anyone's time.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I think your definition of a troll is a little off.

A true "troll", is someone who *deliberately* says things to annoy others.

A good example is someone logging onto a Christian message board, and posting that you love aborting unborn babies and eating them. Then chuckling at the responses of the people. That's a troll.

And vice versa. Someone coming on here, and calling us all heathens, sinners, and telling us all to fuck off and burn in hell. It's something done simply to get a rise out of people.

If it's an actual debate, let's say a debate on abortion, and people have different views, and they argue, that's fine. At least to me it is. Even if it gets really harsh, angry, and insulting. I don't consider someone a troll, unless they are saying things for the pure purpose of pissing everyone else off.

Some people consider some of the members on BlueBlood trolls, because they may only say antagonistic things. But if someone simply doesn't like you, or disagrees with you, and calls you an idiot, just deal with it.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

bump

Quote Originally Posted by keiko

All I needed was an excuse to post this.

~K
    What i dont get it?

A good example is someone logging onto a Christian message board, and posting that you love aborting unborn babies and eating them. Then chuckling at the responses of the people. That's a troll.

And vice versa. Someone coming on here, and calling us all heathens, sinners, and telling us all to fuck off and burn in hell. It's something done simply to get a rise out of people.

If it's an actual debate, let's say a debate on abortion, and people have different views, and they argue, that's fine. At least to me it is. Even if it gets really harsh, angry, and insulting. I don't consider someone a troll, unless they are saying things for the pure purpose of pissing everyone else off.

Some people consider some of the members on BlueBlood trolls, because they may only say antagonistic things. But if someone simply doesn't like you, or disagrees with you, and calls you an idiot, just deal with it.

This makes more sence to me, however, even if the person is being deliberate, his response is still valad. Some people will get a sick sort of satisfaction from proving people wrong, or counter aruging just for the sake of it.... But i still think that no matter what, even if the trolls say it, it is worth listening to regardless. It may even sway your own thinking and possibly enlighten someone who is only there for entertainment.

Keiko- Didn't something approximating this already happen to all chans everywhere forever the end?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

bump

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight

TheDeathKnight is 100% correct on all points.

I tend to also personally strongly up my view of a poster's troll quotient if they come across like either a cipher or fake character.

As Blue Blood appears to have just one guy who periodically decides to make a bunch of troll accounts, I do not think trolling is a really big issue we need multiple threads on.

I didn't realize I had the power to raise zombies. I'll have to hone this.

I was a little disappointed to see a thread get locked down recently because Forrest didn't feel like dealing with the "negativity". Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I was a little disappointed to see a thread get locked down recently because Forrest didn't feel like dealing with the "negativity". Ah well.

If you mean the trolling thread, I will be happy to have it merged with this one, but I really don't think we need multiple threads on the topic. As someone who thinks the topic has been talked to death, I'm not sure why you'd think we need two threads on it, but I can bring those comments over here if anyone really feels they are important.

Uh, no I was actually refering to the "call the person above you rude hilarious things" thread awhile back.

My "please sweet satan make it stop" comment was for comedy.

Closing the trolling thread, rather than letting it die an unnatural death is disappointing too.

ok, this is the 3rd attempt at my post...
    Yes I am pissed off that you locked my thread of trolling. Ameilia ( i sent you a pm regarding this)
    I think trolling is as much an important discussion as to what we have going on here, in fact i thought so much so, that i figured it deserved a new thread on it. However the powers that be here dont think so. Thanx to Ameilia we have a new sort of censorship, and the threads will simply be locked, instead of
    debated on... clap well done...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Uh, no I was actually refering to the "call the person above you rude hilarious things" thread awhile back.

My "please sweet satan make it stop" comment was for comedy.

Closing the trolling thread, rather than letting it die an unnatural death is disappointing too.

Trolling thread is now combined with this thread, so all the posts on the same topic can be in the same thread.

I don't usually look at the person-above-you threads, which are usually in the no post count increase forum, unless the topic really fascinates me, so I don't recall the one you are referring to. It doesn't sound terribly fun, but it doesn't sound particularly nonconsensual.

ok, this is the 3rd attempt at my post...
    Yes I am pissed off that you locked my thread of trolling. Ameilia ( i sent you a pm regarding this)
    I think trolling is as much an important discussion as to what we have going on here, in fact i thought so much so, that i figured it deserved a new thread on it. However the powers that be here dont think so. Thanx to Ameilia we have a new sort of censorship, and the threads will simply be locked, instead of
    debated on... clap well done...

You might note that your trolling thread posts are all still available in the original thread here where the topic originated. Perhaps you did not fail to scroll up and the merge simply happened while you were composing your post, but this thread is really the place to either continue or not continue that topic.

Please do not attempt to take public conversations private or private conversations public.

Please do not complain that there is too much conversation on a topic and then complain that there is not enough conversation on the same topic. Nobody enjoys a Catch 22.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

Please do not attempt to take public conversations private or private conversations public.

Please do not complain that there is too much conversation on a topic and then complain that there is not enough conversation on the same topic. Nobody enjoys a Catch 22.
    You have done this through out the whole thread

My topic was of a wholly different nature.

You have done this through out the whole thread

My topic was of a wholly different nature.

I have no idea what you are saying you think I've done in this "whole thread".

There has been extensive discussion in this thread on what constitutes a troll. How does rehashing that in a different thread, rather than continuing the coversation in this thread, if it is of interest, different for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    So what is up with all the wowzers-this-thread-is-still-going bumps?
    I was just honest and stating my opinion....

This thread has gotten so off topic, that i clearly thought it needed a revamp. I wanted to talk about TROLLS, and this thread seems to be a hell of a lot of banter between a few ppl and not much to solution . That is all, i am a bit upset that you didnt think so ( Amalia) and thus the pm^^
    Lets get it back on track, I want to hear more about the comunity, and why they think trolling is such a bad thing.

And for the record, you actually LOCKED my thread before bringing it here. Perhaps that is how it is normally done, but that is where my anger came from when you I pm'ed you. And even now still no response.

And for the record, you actually LOCKED my thread before bringing it here. Perhaps that is how it is normally done, but that is where my anger came from when you I pm'ed you. And even now still no response.

You were the first person to bring up locking threads in this very thread. If you do not like locked threads, why did you suggest Blue Blood add this feature?

I have never locked a thread before. I had to be learn how to do it. Upon reflection and reading Buster Friendly's post, I decided to instead merge the trolling thread with the thread where the discussion of the definition of troll began.

You have received many responses and they are all easily visible in this thread. You did not, however, answer my one question about what you were talking about.

You keep talking about taking this conversation elsewhere or taking it private, yet you started a second public thread about it. Once again, I'm not really into taking public conversations private or private conversations public.

Please re-read the rest of this thread and really think about whether you (a) actually don't understand what the definition of a troll is in this context or (b) really feel it would be valuable to have more than one thread like this one. I only started this thread because of the special circumstances I explained earlier in this thread. We do not normally have conversations like this on Blue Blood and I feel, much like OliX, that this one is more than enough.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

How about everyone just takes the sticks out of their collective asses and jams them in their collective mouths and we as a society can go back to talking aobut movies, tits, and pathetic "real vampires!" How's that sound to everyone?

Fuckin' bunch of goddamn crybabies in this joint...

"You banned my account!"
    "You locked my thread!"
    "You have it out for me!"
    "You contacted my friends!"
    "You sent a PM!"
    "You won't send a PM!"

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck......

Am I the only motherfucker in this place "zen" enough to not actually give a shit?

It's a very simple law that's been around since the birth of the interweb:

"If you don't like a site, don't go back. If you don't like a poster, don't read their posts."

And last but certainly not least:

Stop being a troll. Please...

Protesting moderation doesn't make one a troll. And if you care enough to post here, you implicitly have equal reason to care if you're prevented from doing so - I'm all for avoiding unnecessary angst, but locking threads and banning accounts doesn't fall into the same category of utter harmlessness as merely communicating an opinion at somebody.

Not picking anybody's side here, but let's please not create one of those lame-ass forum climates were everybody that hasn't personally had a problem with the admins dismisses and mocks complaints automatically on misguided 'If I can live with them, so should you' principle.

I'm just pointing out how lame it is to pick sides.

Thanks for noticing and bringing up a conclusion.

p.s. read the smiley next time too

Goodness, I have been mostly lurking lately, but I felt it was quite urgent that I recover my password to chime in and point out that I am actually the reasonable one. Everyone else is just going on and on, but I have a really valid yet wholly relaxed viewpoint. You must silently read my long-winded and reasonable and relaxed post, but, for heavens sake, do not express disagreement. If you have an opinion, I may be forced to redefine the term troll to mean something completely inaccurate and then whinge about being wrong for pages.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Have you ever listed your used underwear on e-banned? I have.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicat
    Have you ever listed your used underwear on e-banned? I have.
    I lost that auction by a penny.
    *complains*

Quote Originally Posted by mollycase
    Goodness, I have been mostly lurking lately, but I felt it was quite urgent that I recover my password to chime in and point out that I am actually the reasonable one. Everyone else is just going on and on, but I have a really valid yet wholly relaxed viewpoint. You must silently read my long-winded and reasonable and relaxed post, but, for heavens sake, do not express disagreement. If you have an opinion, I may be forced to redefine the term troll to mean something completely inaccurate and then whinge about being wrong for pages.
    Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Stop being a troll. Please...
    I dont mind being called a troll, or at least part troll, part freak, and part mental case

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I guess I missed the drama. I am not a fan of censorship but banning is sometimes necessary when it comes to multiple accounts and bots. I rather enjoy it when people make asses of themselves.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

hey guys whats goin on?

+ Reply to Thread