+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why would you say that?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Why would you say that?

Oddly yesterday I got a strange comment while walking through "downtown" Milwaukie after signing my lease yesterday. This bitter looking woman said and I quote :"You better be careful or you'll get killed..." it trailed off as I kept walking past her. But what an odd thing to say to someone just walking down the street. I'm not sure if she was commenting on my exposed cleavage, the length of my skirt, my sunglasses being so dark or something more sinister. Maybe she thinks my boyfriend is a serial killer?

Has anyone ever said strange things to you like this while you're just wandering along minding your own business?

~K

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Default Re: Why would you say that?

What I should have said to the old hag (if I'd figured out what she'd said before she moved on) was, "Hey, if a sexy young thing like you is still walking around, we should be fine."

What YOU should have said, at the top of your little lungs, was, "Officer, this woman just threatened to kill me!"

Maybe we'll be fortunate enough to meet her again.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

No, people where I grew up pretty much avoid me when I walk around. Otherwise, downtown Chicago I just get wannabe gangsters flashing gang signs and doing that gaytarded thing where you point your fingers at someone like you're a 5 year old playing cops and robbers but your mom wouldn't buy you cap guns while they drive.

In Texas, I usually don't get bothered either.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

When I lived in Virginia, a neighbor once yelled across the parking lot, while I was oh so glamourously cleaning out my car, that I was a whore and belonged in a whorehouse.

I called the cops on her for harassment.

I think I actually get random strangers telling me their special opinions more than is average, although I don't have what to compare it to, so I feel ya on the weirdness, Keiko.

and the porridge was just

a homeless person told me not to go to the fireworks in nyc because they were dangerous once...

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Never had anything strange like that said to me. Constantly got stares though.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i will occasionally get the odd comment in addition to the usual stares when i head out. i can sort of understand it when its in my home town, which is a stereotypical 'smalltown;' but when im in a city such as boston or worcester, you'd think that they are used to seeing someone dressed outlandishly, with funny coloured hair, or piercings, by now. its most of what i get are the type of comments that they dont mean to be overheard outside of them and whomever they are with. i dont mind it when its a kid saying to a parent "look at him!" but when its a parent pointing me out to their child as something to be feared, reviled, abhored, or otherwise avoided, i get offended. i like to think that is good to expose kids to the unusual, but hate it when their parents use that expose as a means of forcing their own views of normacy on them. it goes both ways - i used to do alot of stuff solely for shock value, or out of a sense of rebellion. nowadays, im just being me and hate being made to feel self-conscious when i go out in public.

I'm used to having people yell "Whore" or "Bitch" as I walk by, usually the homeless assholes I choose to ignore because I have my head phones on, because that's really gonna get my attention. I shouted back over my shoulder at this guy last week "Whores only talk to guys with money". I've been called a slut, a hussy, a tramp etc, esp when I'm wearing my itty bitty mini skirts and my low cut tops. But having someone tell me that I'm gonna get killed while wearing a full length (as in covers my feet) blue sun-dress walking down the street at 3 in the afternoon with my boyfriend just rattled me.

~K

MAYBE SHE WAS A SEER.

or maybe you just carried yourself like a trollop. Either way if you don't care about other people labeling you..then dress how you want and fuck them. What a rude scaremongering woman she was.

Worst I've gotten was a miffed, eye brow raised "angry frown" for wearing my pants tucked into my boots at college. She looked like a fragile person so maybe she thought I was in some kind of white supremacist thing or something.

Well, Aza does seem a bit off, always doing that roleplayey 'sophisticated gentleman' thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out a Hannibal Lector wannabe, so I'm going with the boyfriend-serial killer theory.

^You too?

Haha. What I do is different, I think, if equally artificial. I've made no pretense of classic gentility since I was roleplaying vampires in Ultima Online.

But yeah, the irony hadn't gone unnoticed - and in that light the remark was never much of an insult, was it?

I would accept it as a compliment. Ask Ajax

First that flashed in my mind was this super sexy redhead passing by with a tall and handsome but still strange looking guy. (I have impression that Aza is tall). From my own experience I know how elderly look at "us" that don't obey the mainstream. They classify straight edge skater in same drawer as a skinhead with full frontal lobotomy.

Maybe granny watched some snuff movies night before.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

It appears the crucial element is missing here - what did she trail off into?

"..by my invisible ninja squirrel" [mad lady]

"..under a stolen 1982 Buick six months next Tuesday" [psychic lady]

"..in the <hack!*!$!$> <cough!#!#> flu pandemic" [infected lady]

(cue the "What Would The Old Lady Say" thread)...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Well, Aza does seem a bit off, always doing that roleplayey 'sophisticated gentleman' thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out a Hannibal Lector wannabe, so I'm going with the boyfriend-serial killer theory.

I'm kind of shocked more people I know don't get offed via murder.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Public speculation has always been the ultimate flattery; perhaps even a sign of star status!

Please continue!

Aza is every inch the gentleman, all six feet one of him. And yes, quite mad, he's a writer after all and more than a little bit of a cartoon. If he is a serial killer, than we're in cahoots, he's the Clyde to my Bonnie as it were.

I don't know what she trailed off into, Mg, maybe it had something to do with the way she didn't see us look both ways before crossing the street in a construction zone. Maybe she does have a pet ninja squirrel with rabies that will cause a car accident next Tuesday causing me to be hit by a Buick at 6pm. God only knows.

~K

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

When I was younger, I worked at a grocery store. One day, this 80 something year old lady was chatting away to herself about God knows what, while she was purchasing her items. As she was passing me, out of the blue, about one foot from me, she turned real quick and yelled at me, "YOU DON'T LIKE WHEN I'M NOT ON MY MEDICATION, DO YOU?!?!" 80 year old or not, it totally freaked me out. I just looked at her and said, "No. No, I don't." It actually made me feel like something that would happen in a creepy horror movie.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

let's see....

when i moved to memphis as a teen some kid shouted he was gonna btie my dick off from their car as it was speeding by.....that was around 93/94.

back in 1999, i was lving in louissiana and going through a trench coat wearing phase and was asked if i had a shotgun under my coat-referenced by the gothy look i had going on and columbine still being fresh in eevyrone's head.........

around the week following september 11th I was asked by a handful of people at the grocery store i was guarding (i was a security guard then) why i was'nt at the world trade center.

and just last halloween, i was dressed up as a zombie nurse/amy whinehouse costume and some guy kept staring at me and finally came up and mumbled
    "i should have brought my knife."

guess i've just got one fo those faces people love to hate.

V Echoes's Avatar Junior Member

You said it there: a bitter looking woman.

Seems as though people who feel as though no one listens to them or hasn't felt powerful enough in the past 10 minutes feel the need to say something profound, even stupidly mean spirited. The last thing a bitter woman wants to see is a young confident woman.

+ Reply to Thread