+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new paintings, these ones aint strippers.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default new paintings, these ones aint strippers.

okay. I ran out of canvas panels, sigh.

but i did have some plexiglass sheets laying around and a ton of free new times laying around-it's a local free liberal print news/arts entertainment paper- so i did this set of four mixed media pieces.

materials used in the process of these is as follows: acrylic paints/spray paint, hand drawn ink pieces with a washing done to create shade as well as a car vanity mirror on the second piece.

pardon me if they're a bit big.:

Conform:

Blame:

Control:

Judge:

now, i had my own idea in mind when i wa smaking these but the main thing i had in mind was creating something that is open for multiple interpretations to what the meaning is so it may mean something different for somebody else than what you think it means.

I've got my fingers crossed i'll be working at spirit again this year so i can stock up on art supplies to do some more paintings and work on some 3 dimensional pieces i wanna do. anyways, thought i'd share these with you. hope you enjoy them if not that's cool too.

Default Re: new paintings, these ones aint strippers.

Those are good.

Can't say which is my favorite, but the least favorite of them is conform...

Keep it up

Those are really good. Blame is my favorite.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

Blame is really good. What caught my attention about it was the detail of the hands. They came out really good. I remember how hard it was for me to do hands when I was an art student. Bravo! I do have one question however...

the main thing i had in mind was creating something that is open for multiple interpretations to what the meaning is so it may mean something different for somebody else than what you think it means.
    That being said why did you put the word "BLAME" so boldly right there in the middle like that? I mean in my opinion putting such a strong word into the piece would take away from the multiple interpretations due to the fact that that word carries a pretty concrete idea to it. In my opinion leaving said word out would have opened it up for more interpretations. Just my opinion though.

Either way Kudos to you on all four works. Especially Blame. It is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Jello
    Blame is really good. What caught my attention about it was the detail of the hands. They came out really good. I remember how hard it was for me to do hands when I was an art student. Bravo! I do have one question however...

That being said why did you put the word "BLAME" so boldly right there in the middle like that? I mean in my opinion putting such a strong word into the piece would take away from the multiple interpretations due to the fact that that word carries a pretty concrete idea to it. In my opinion leaving said word out would have opened it up for more interpretations. Just my opinion though.

Either way Kudos to you on all four works. Especially Blame. It is my favorite.
    blame is kinda a funny one really. the word is actually scrawled across a mirror because the piece issupposed to be set sot hat the mirror is eye level when viewing it so you seeyour reflection in it. alas, we do not have the tech yet to reproduce mirrors over computer connections but trust me, the word is there for a reason. and yaknow what's funny is that hands have never really been so big a deal for me i dont think. originally thes hands were gonna be multicolored with mouths yelling at each other but it didnt look right when i had it painted up. thanx thuogh.

and yeah, they are open for multiple interpretatinos however i should have been more specific as to say they are open to multiple interpretations of what they mean within the context of the title to which the piece is named..

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Those are good.

Can't say which is my favorite, but the least favorite of them is conform...

Keep it up
    what was it about conform you didnt like if i may ask? Just curious.

Ratio.

Ratio.
    okay.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I like the graffiti feel

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    okay.
    But that's just me and my personal opinion. Don't take it as a best critic opinion...

And I think I decided for Control as a fave...

But that's just me and my personal opinion. Don't take it as a best critic opinion...

And I think I decided for Control as a fave...
    danke, olix. and no, i would'nt have taken it as a critique. I don't so much care wether or not people like or dislike one or the other more personally.

i mean sure, it's nice to have people who like something i did and the occassional pointer here or there but eh, these piece swer emore or less i felt inspired to do them and di them and they're either hit or miss and yeah, m.g, now that i look a little more at them i guess they do kind of have a graffiti feel to them. kind of that kind of graffiti where its the slap poster images up that are done in black and white instead of the stencil and spray kind.

there was a little bit of a boom of that kind of tagging around mesa for a while there, some cool stuff actually too including one i really liked that was of a guerilla commando in full gear with an m-16 and it said something like obey under it or something.(i don't think it was one of the vector artist obey's actual pieces but it was pretty cool)

and yeah, control is a cool piece to it. i think the fact that it's blue really sets it off against the rest oft hem. it fits just right the way i have them set up on my wall too.

i have them going from right to left in a straight line the only tricky part was really getting them to say on the wall cus the plexiglass is pretty thin and flimsy (it's that kind used for haunted house ghost illusions so it's meant to bend)

i'm gonna see about doing a new set of clown girls as well once i get the money to replenish my supplies with blue bakgrounds and just have them all mixed maatched.

Those are really good. I used to spend some time painting when i was younger, sadly i have No talent.. I'd put yours on my walls tho for sure, actually i used to hang mine up too, but that was only cuz i didnt like to colour of paint on my wall

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Where's the fridge and some magnets? These need to be hung up ASAP!

I like Judge the most I think.

Nice. I'd dig em more as actual graffiti though; conceptual art is harmless where you expect it.

+ Reply to Thread