+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In the Year of the Pig Fish

Default In the Year of the Pig Fish

I went to a fashion show soiree last night. My friend writer/gadfly
    Read the full article

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: In the Year of the Pig Fish

I'm comfortable topless pretty much anywhere.

I usually just admit that I can't remember their name.

Anywhere, so long as it's clean shaven. I suppose that's not saying much for a guy, although I do have a big mess of scars there that some people seem to think is something to be uncomfortable with.

And I'm horrible with names, but I tend not to need them much. If someone interests me there and then I'll respond to that specifically, and if they don't I just wander off again. Whether I've almost-talked with somebody before isn't interesting subject matter for another conversation, and ritual politeness isn't really my thing.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Are you kidding? I wish I could walk around everywhere without a shirt on. Might even let me get rid of the horrible farmers tan!

On the second part, it happens all the time. When it's other army people and we're all in uniform it's easier because I can fake like I know them because their name is right on their chest. Otherwise, I'm just honest about it. Last night at the tattoo parlor I was outside smoking and someone drove up, got out, and commented on how much new work I had done since he last saw me. I faked it for a bit, then he asked if I remembered his wife, to which I had to be honest and tell him I didn't even remember who he was. Then I saw one of his tattoos that was done at a time I was in the shop and I remembered him.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    ... then he asked if I remembered his wife, to which I had to be honest and tell him I didn't even remember who he was
    I hate when people quiz me on things like that. I'm just like can't you tell I'm being polite? Drop in a few more hints or move on, but don't confront me about how much I do or do not remember you. I'm terrible with names, but I do remember really odd details about people, so you may not actually want me to come back with, oh yeah, you were that performance art guy that jerked off in the mashed potatoes at Draven's afterparty like eight years ago, right? You know, I don't think anyone even noticed...

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I tend to remember people by tattoos, and with some women haircuts, until they change the color or chop it all off (or in one case stop shaving and let it grow out). That or if their face just stands out as either like really nice or disgustingly ugly.

and the porridge was just

im a space case. its probably because i dont sleep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    I tend to remember people by tattoos, and with some women haircuts, until they change the color or chop it all off (or in one case stop shaving and let it grow out). That or if their face just stands out as either like really nice or disgustingly ugly.

My mind works far more on a deliberate than on an intuitive level, so unless I've known people for a really long time I remember them by things I can easily describe to myself in words (hair, length, body type, body mods, style). This is kind of unreliable though, since people I meet at parties and the like are often the type that have a new hairstyle/color every month or two - and many normal people I don't even manage to tell apart in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread