+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you ready to celebrate Blasphemy Day?

Default Are you ready to celebrate Blasphemy Day?

Blasphemy Day is a new internet-spawned holiday like Talk Like a Pirate Day or
    Read the full article

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you ready to celebrate Blasphemy Day?

So, is blasphemy funny or mean, uncalled-for or needed, or some gray area combo of the above? Is slaughtering sacred cows a good thing or is the very expression “slaughtering sacred cows” hate speech? Are you ready to celebrate Blasphemy Day?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Are you ready to celebrate Blasphemy Day?

Boy did we make a mess shooting those!

I do love how the tattoos look with the body makeup.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Blasphemy is a matter of opinion. I personally don't think it exists. But its a fun word to say.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Who's to say what is and is not blasphemy? I come from a family of "holey rollers" and they think just about everything I do is blashpemous, but they're also accepting of it. If you're not religious, what makes it blasphemy? I debate (okay, argue) with religious people all the time, even to the point where I have a tattoo drawn up that I'm debating whether or not to actually get. (A band of dieties, IE Jesus with a BC Rich guitar, Buddha with an upright bass, Shiva with a double set of drums, a silhouette behind a microphone to immulate Mahammad, and Moses in the background counting the band's money for the show)

But what's the point of "Blasphemy Day"? Why go out of the way to do something that has no real effect on anything? It's just a scam to draw hits to a website.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

As I'm not a member of any organized religions, the only blasphemies I can possibly commit are only blasphemies in the eyes and minds of others. Still, savage sex on the alter of a Catholic church is a liberating experience, and I highly endorse it no matter what religion you are!

I personally do not believe it is ethical to go out of your way to hurt someone, be it though blasphemy or other means. If you have issues with a certain religion or religious group then you should be able to hold an intelligent discussion on those issues. If you can't then you should just leave other people alone and not be a dick.

No ones being a dick here.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    No ones being a dick here.
    I am.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey View Post
    Who's to say what is and is not blasphemy? I come from a family of "holey rollers" and they think just about everything I do is blashpemous, but they're also accepting of it. If you're not religious, what makes it blasphemy? I debate (okay, argue) with religious people all the time, even to the point where I have a tattoo drawn up that I'm debating whether or not to actually get. (A band of dieties, IE Jesus with a BC Rich guitar, Buddha with an upright bass, Shiva with a double set of drums, a silhouette behind a microphone to immulate Mahammad, and Moses in the background counting the band's money for the show)

But what's the point of "Blasphemy Day"? Why go out of the way to do something that has no real effect on anything? It's just a scam to draw hits to a website.

You know there is a difference between blasphemy and bigotry, right? Did you just not think about that when you had Moses not be in the band and had the messed up and wrong stereotype with the money?

I would think someone with a tattoo of a band of holy people was interesting. I would think someone with an anti-Semitic or racist charicature on their body was not attractive at all.

Hey a band has to have a manager...

Hey a band has to have a manager...

If you think the band manager who is into the money is likely to be Jewish and the band is likely to not be Jewish, then you are both ignorant of current music and that is bigotry and not blasphemy.

Would everyone please pull their panties out of their ass. Last I checked, I ilived in a free country, and people were allowed to think and have any opinions they wanted, regardless of whether or not I agreed with said beliefs/ideas/opinions.

Who said I was making Moses greedy? I never said he'd be there with an evil smirk like he's going to screw the rest of them out of the money. You speak of ignorance, and you just naturally jumped to thinking I was going to be tasteless. Hey, maybe he's counting the money so he can split it between the rest of them? The whole piece is a fucking joke. Would you rather me make him a gay groupie? How about standing there with a tamborine? Or, I could exclude him all together. Now, what's really worse out of those options?

I don't really care how you feel about my tattoo ideas, or my beliefs, but you had no reason to jump to the conclusion that I was being a bigot just because something seemed one way to you. I mean, really, you have a problem with Moses as a manager counting money, but not of a silhouette behind a microphone to represent Muhammad? Now who's being a bigot? Considering the idea behind it being to make a mockery out of the fact Muslims find it insulting to have images of him.

Who said I was making Moses greedy? I never said he'd be there with an evil smirk like he's going to screw the rest of them out of the money. You speak of ignorance, and you just naturally jumped to thinking I was going to be tasteless. Hey, maybe he's counting the money so he can split it between the rest of them? The whole piece is a fucking joke. Would you rather me make him a gay groupie? How about standing there with a tamborine? Or, I could exclude him all together. Now, what's really worse out of those options?

I don't really care how you feel about my tattoo ideas, or my beliefs, but you had no reason to jump to the conclusion that I was being a bigot just because something seemed one way to you. I mean, really, you have a problem with Moses as a manager counting money, but not of a silhouette behind a microphone to represent Muhammad? Now who's being a bigot? Considering the idea behind it being to make a mockery out of the fact Muslims find it insulting to have images of him.

Do you really not understand the difference between blasphemy and bigotry? Having the Jew handling the money is bigotry because money has nothing to do with the Jewish religion. The only people who associate Jews and money are bigots. You are not poking fun at Judaism's silly religious beliefs with a jab about money because there is no Jewish religious belief or practice which includes anything about money. You are the one who brought up the idea that Moses might be going to cheat the band or might be going to share it. It never occurred to me that you also meant Moses was going to be cheating the band members. The only place money has anything to do with being Jewish is in bigot's heads. If you add cheating people to that list of ignorant assumptions, that is just worse.

Really? Where does bass come into play with Buddhism? Or Drums in Hindu? The only real joke in the whole thing is the BC Rich guitar in Jesus' hands and the silhouette of Muhammad. The saddest thing, is you're making a bigger deal out of it than my Jewish friends. Oh, and the thing is, money doesn't have anything to do with the religion, but guess what, I STILL DON'T REALLY CARE! Oh no, I'm a bigot I guess. I'll live with myself I think. Yeah, I'll still laugh at it later.

Quote Originally Posted by deathrockjill View Post
    Do you really not understand the difference between blasphemy and bigotry? Having the Jew handling the money is bigotry because money has nothing to do with the Jewish religion. The only people who associate Jews and money are bigots. You are not poking fun at Judaism's silly religious beliefs with a jab about money because there is no Jewish religious belief or practice which includes anything about money. You are the one who brought up the idea that Moses might be going to cheat the band or might be going to share it. It never occurred to me that you also meant Moses was going to be cheating the band members. The only place money has anything to do with being Jewish is in bigot's heads. If you add cheating people to that list of ignorant assumptions, that is just worse.
    uh, yeeeeaaaah.

you're actually wrong about that.

sort of.

ya see, althought the jewish religion "doesn't include" anything about money, it also doesn't EXCLUDE anything about it either. unlike say, I dunno.... the midieval catholic church which forbade the charging of interest on money lent, the sin of "usury".

soooooo, the jews of europe during the middle ages didn't have any religious prohabitions against money lending, and thefore some of whom became wealthy and powerful bankers. this is while they were dodging lunatic christians bent on hunting them for sport in pogroms. and of course said nutty christers had no qualms about going to ye olde jews when ever they needed a loan, since jeebus wanted you in debt, but not to profit from debt.

all of this to say- you have what? 13 posts?

did you introduce yourself in an introductory thread like a good little robot? I don't recall that one.

your legs must be really long to get up on that high horsey of yours.

Really? Where does bass come into play with Buddhism? Or Drums in Hindu? The only real joke in the whole thing is the BC Rich guitar in Jesus' hands and the silhouette of Muhammad. The saddest thing, is you're making a bigger deal out of it than my Jewish friends. Oh, and the thing is, money doesn't have anything to do with the religion, but guess what, I STILL DON'T REALLY CARE! Oh no, I'm a bigot I guess. I'll live with myself I think. Yeah, I'll still laugh at it later.

You have a Jewish friend, so I guess that makes considering inking bigotry permanently onto your body a good idea.

My exact point is that the topic is blasphemy and part of your tattoo idea is blasphemous and part is humorous but not blasphemous and part is just plain bigoted and not blasphemous or humorous.

While the Buddha's bass is only funny for being unexpected and is not blasphemous, the Buddha playing bass also does not depend on inaccurate stereotyping of Buddhists. See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    uh, yeeeeaaaah.

you're actually wrong about that.

sort of.

ya see, althought the jewish religion "doesn't include" anything about money, it also doesn't EXCLUDE anything about it either. unlike say, I dunno.... the midieval catholic church which forbade the charging of interest on money lent, the sin of "usury".

soooooo, the jews of europe during the middle ages didn't have any religious prohabitions against money lending, and thefore some of whom became wealthy and powerful bankers. this is while they were dodging lunatic christians bent on hunting them for sport in pogroms. and of course said nutty christers had no qualms about going to ye olde jews when ever they needed a loan, since jeebus wanted you in debt, but not to profit from debt.

all of this to say- you have what? 13 posts?

did you introduce yourself in an introductory thread like a good little robot? I don't recall that one.

your legs must be really long to get up on that high horsey of yours.

I agree with you that anyone who thinks Jews and money go together has a bigoted, backwards, positively medieval, Christian nutjob viewpoint.

Look at my join date. I've also probably been a fan longer than you've been legal to buy a subscription.

ablah blah, blahiddy blah.
    nooooo, not quite.

jews and money have a historical cultural connection that exists in both the minds of christians, muslims, AND jews. (and a whole bunch of other folks who buy into that stuff, and or read history. you don't know shit about bigotry until you hang out with some asian bigots.)

but yes I agree nathan's tattoo is more about sterotype than blasphemy when it comes to moses- nathan, have moses buying a huge shrimp cocktail, and some porkchops with his jew gold. - not sure how one can blapheme buddha, but muhammed was a good start, have jesus fondling an altar boy would be good too...

and jill, I am quite sure that you're waaaay more goth than me. infact I'd be willing to wager that you're old enough to have been to some of the original Bauhaus concerts, and have every little clove cigarette induced wrinkle to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    but yes I agree nathan's tattoo is more about sterotype than blasphemy

I'm glad we agree.

Look at my join date. I've also probably been a fan longer than you've been legal to buy a subscription.
    I'm sorry, but that's just fucking lame. Grow the fuck up .

Oh, and please pull the stick out of your ass, because I'm sure it hurts.

J.F.C. people... Srsly...

Devil girls are fun and cute.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

I thought the tattoo idea was freaking AWESOME! Then again, I didn't read all that into it.

As a religious person i say go right ahead and go nuts for a day.

Only good can come of it.

1. You troll someone into a raging, crying cloud of tears.
    2. You cause them to sit and explore their faith farther and perhaps lose some of their religious love goggles.
    3. You'll help some Muslims get off their 12 foot tall horse.

Just make sure you Blaspheme intelligently... google Allah the moon god and troll them with that, Point out the absolutely phallacy of Christian beliefs with Noah..then when they say "its faith" whip out the “A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.”

Whatever. A true believer will still believe.. a weaker one will either learn more and become a stronger believer or quit and do something that'll make them happier.

No one loses.

Um, I think Buster beats you by about 6 months or so on the join date...

Seriously though, do you masturbate with the star of David glued pointy ends up on the tip of you dildo? That's the only way I can see you being so pussy hurt over the Moses thing. Yes, my sense of humor is shallow and involves quite a bit of racism and anti-religion, but it's all jokes. I have friends of a lot of different faiths, including Muslims and Jews, oh and black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, you name it. And guess what, none of them take offense to any of my truly tasteless jokes, so really, why are you?

...I have friends of a lot of different faiths, including Muslims and Jews, oh and black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, you name it. And guess what, none of them take offense to any of my truly tasteless jokes, so really, why are you?

Couldn't resist...

Blasphemy is basically breaking rules that you never agreed to. Sure I don't go out of my way to piss in someone's cheerios, but everyone needs their beliefs poked from time to time to remind them they are just beliefs.

the funny thing is, most people are ok with it when you are making fun of the other guys beliefs, but when it is their turn suddenly you have gone too far.

Oh, and the devil girls are insulting to my religion. However to encourage the free exchange of ideas and prove I am not a hypocrite you should produce many more with great enthusiasm.

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    Would everyone please pull their panties out of their ass. Last I checked, I ilived in a free country, and people were allowed to think and have any opinions they wanted, regardless of whether or not I agreed with said beliefs/ideas/opinions.
    I agree

+ Reply to Thread