+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you rather play golf or whack your friends wearing armor?

Default Would you rather play golf or whack your friends wearing armor?

My fellow Wesleyan alum Jim Vincent posted this demotivational poster today. Not sure where it comes from, alas. He is afflicted with co-workers who play golf and refer to him as a LARP-er. So this was pretty perfect for him.

I wish the SCA -- Society for Creative Anachronism for the uninitiated -- were less sexually repressed. I'm totally turned on my armor, but so many of the folks who make it and wear it are all oogie weird about sex.

I'm not turned on by golf clubs or even really...
    Read the full article

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Would you rather play golf or whack your friends wearing armor?

I was in the sca for a while......it was alright, but except for the tuchux I found them all a little dull. Kind of funny recreating the dark ages with things like rules and honor and on and on. And yeah, they should lay off the sex and everclear, it makes them go wierd.

I would like to learn to play golf sometime............now that I'm getting older those nice big well manicured lawns look sort of peacefull

and the porridge was just

mini golf because i am wonderfully awful at it

Golf stands for everything that is horrible without being fun. It's like somebody sliced up some suits and ties and blue ballpoint pens, boiled them into a homogenous paste over a fire fed by white picket fences and cubicle walls, and then molded the stuff into the rough shape of a sport while keeping in mind that it should require as little actual exercise and as much expensive equipment as possible.

Armor, weaponry and wargames are fun... but as anachronisms go, I never thought that the non-fantasy medieval setting was all that creative. Evidence points to people being if anything less fun back then, and they're pretty dreadful currently. I'd rather look to the future, or discard realism altogether, if I were getting into playing pretend at such scale. Cyberpunk themed laser tag sounds like more fun to me, for example.

it would be interesting to play golf the way that it originaly started

What if you just combined the two? GolfLARP! The new adventure in golf. Golf in full plate, with axes, and crossbows! How cool would that be?

bloodyxcandyxcane's Avatar Junior Member

if i'm going to play a sport (unlikely), it needs to be something fast-paced, competitive, and rough, everything golf is not. i think i would personally enjoy role playing much more.

golf isn't really a sport.....it's an activity
    Last edited by Mr Karl; 08-30-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: had more

it's actually not that easy either.. I actually spent ten minutes trying it out

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I have played cyberpunk-themed laser tag. I've partied with the Tuchux at Pennzic. And I've played golf, albeit really really badly.

Golf still seems like the most sustainable activity.

I'd love to find a good laser tag place in or near Los Angeles though.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    I have played cyberpunk-themed laser tag. I've partied with the Tuchux at Pennzic. And I've played golf, albeit really really badly.

Golf still seems like the most sustainable activity.

I'd love to find a good laser tag place in or near Los Angeles though.
    Sustainable because any old fart can do it and they usually have the cash to lay out to play it. I couldn't tell you HOW MANY times in my banking career
    customers have asked me if I play golf....Like it's mandatory if you're a banker. No...I don't. Nor have I ever. I think I'd rather go with Raza's idea.

13. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax Knucklebones For This Useful Post:

Raza (09-02-2010)
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I do SCA stuff. Maybe once or twice a year I go to big wars. Not small tournaments.

Sexually repressed? Really?

I don't know what SCA event you went to, but one of the mottos of the SCA is that
    if you can't get laid in the SCA, then you can't get laid PERIOD.

Now that's not saying that the people there are people you want to hook up with,
    but if you want to hook up, there is plenty of action happening in people's tents.
    Walk around in the middle of the night and you will hear a lot of moaning and groaning.
    One of the couples in the group I camp with usually have a full dungeon set up in their pavilion.

Maybe I need to drag you guys out to the next big event...

+ Reply to Thread