+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you "De-stress?"

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

Default How do you "De-stress?"

I've been a bit more stressed out with life lately, as I'm coming very close to a big move to a big city and worrying about everything that comes along with that, so I've been looking for ways to "de-stress."

For me, the whole candle-lit bath and listening to soothing music really just enhances my stress and makes me focus on it more. Usually, I unwind with some intense electro or dubstep, run around at all hours of the night, and try to do as many crazy things as possible. Maybe that's avoidance though.

I've recently started doing advanced yoga again, and that's actually working quite well. I've been having acupuncture too, and surprisingly, that's also helped.

So what about everyone else, how do you deal with stress and unwind?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: How do you "De-stress?"

Exercise through the endorphin hit.
    Super hot bath.
    Try to make sure I eat nutritiously and don't skip breakfast.
    Try to sleep enough.
    Overeat delicious things.
    Read or watch something engrossing.
    Chill with close friends/family.
    Travel to see the sun set in a different spot.
    Look for the positives.

Also less effectively, various other less desirable options.

Sugar, caffeine and movement.

Biking used to be the favorite, or walking. Do either till I drop.Dancing was fun to, but usually if going out dancing is an option, I am not that stressed to begin with. These days those, walking and biking at night is a stupid pain in the ass so the Wii-fit gets more play when I need to burn a little.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Right now, beer.
    In the future, by not being in a situation that causes stress.
    House'll be paid off, will have some savings, skills. In other words, by retreating from other people and generally not putting myself in sitches where I'd have to worry....

Converting the property into a small farm - will always be able to eat, drink even if civilisation collapses.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I don't really.......my stress makes me angry and that gives me focus........but when I really need a break I watch Degrassi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    I don't really.......my stress makes me angry and that gives me focus........but when I really need a break I watch Degrassi
    How very Canadian of you. I'm not going to lie...sometimes I watch Degrassi...it just sucks you in and won't let go....and it's so horrible!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I've got a big truck tire and a sledgehammer in my garage. I also take angle grinders and cutoff wheels to scrap metal or when I've actually got the parts to do so, work on my Mustang or Jeep.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I kill things every sunday with two d10s with aza and keiko. In fact, I just got home from gaming with them. and it was awesome. I killed lots of things.

9. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to VoltaireBlue For This Useful Post:

Aza (08-20-2011)
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the guys I play with all have little kids now, or carreers so it can be like pulling teeth getting a saturday booked.....it's only about 4 times a year for the D&D..........

I'm not very susceptible to stress; most of my waking hours are spent on uppers just to keep me doing stuff. When something does sneak up, a 15 minute break with a glass of cola spiked with tryptophan and/or valerian extract usually fixes me up.

Once in a while I'll accidentally overdo some norepenephrinergic drug and experience real stress; in those cases, it's usually GHB until I come down again.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue View Post
    I kill things every sunday with two d10s with aza and keiko.
    I de-stress by continuing to sculpt the soon-to-be-published fantasy world in which they kill things.

Of course, most of my stress is empathetic in nature... on the rare occasions when I allow it to affect me.

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

I go out with friends most Thursdays and listen to a jazz trio a few of my friends put together. Taking one night a week to pretend problems don't exist usually makes me feel much more able to face things the next day. I also keep a journal that I only write in when my mind is in massive turmoil. I look back and read my previous entry, and usually I see how silly I was being.

Am I the only one who gets fucked up and smokes a ton of cigarettes?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter View Post
    im both trying to do that less nowadays as well as finding other ways to de-stress.

No....I just can't keep with with the whole yoga and acupuncture thing, I've reverted back to just getting fucked up
    and doing crazy things until 10am. You're not alone!

Meditation, training (exercising), creating; media, gaming, & getting enough sleep.

long workout + several games of pickup basketball at the park
    or
    a 2-3 mile run + a nice rest...

also,
    orange tea, decaf...

@ToeCutter: I used to just smoke Old Golds and drink whiskey, but i think i was giving myself heart disease... Yeah, I know... I am a quitter, and quitters never win. But at least I have a liver. Sort of.

Destress playlist: Aphex Twin, Selected Ambient Works 2; Sting, Songs from the Labyrinth; Brian Eno, Music for Airports
    Last edited by BiggTruxx; 11-21-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: tripe

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I've started smoking certain herbs. It kinda works.

Hypnosis downloads - Ha. They really do work for me and I have tons of them in my mp3 player. I also use Mind Body and Soul types of music ;P

Erm. I was addicted to body piercing and various other forms of pain for a while 6_6 So I'll pitch in with the others and say "Exercise!" because if I could marry my endorphins, I would. Or have their illegitimate child, at least.

I also enjoy surfing the internet mindlessly for 6 hours straight until I've become part of my couch and can't even tell you what I've been doing the last hour and a half.

Paying other people to rub me. No, not like that.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Loud music.

angelbeau's Avatar Junior Member

i have a very odd way of de stressing. i actually do human flash suspension. it relieves so much tension and stress. totally clarifying and euphoric. =]

angelbeau, would you clarify/elaborate on "human flash suspension"? Did you mean flesh, or quite literally flash? I'm getting visions of people on hooks but cannot place the term as anything more or less than that so thought I'd ask!

I've always wanted to do a suspension of some kind but I live in a very conservative area. I think I'd have to beat the evangelists back with an inverted cross if they got wind of the whole thing....

Which's ironic, cause, y'know.

angelbeau's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkaid View Post
    angelbeau, would you clarify/elaborate on "human flash suspension"? Did you mean flesh, or quite literally flash? I'm getting visions of people on hooks but cannot place the term as anything more or less than that so thought I'd ask!

I've always wanted to do a suspension of some kind but I live in a very conservative area. I think I'd have to beat the evangelists back with an inverted cross if they got wind of the whole thing....
    hahah well i cant post pictures on here yet. but if you go to facebook and type in las vegas suspension syndicate then youll see what im all about. =D

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I've been finding the whole de-stress thing difficult lately. Every time I look at any of the social networking sites I just see news that makes me mad or sad, and a lot of the nightlife things just haven't seemed as fun to me lately. I really want to go stay in another city for a week or so. I think I need a change of scenery.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Seems not, but I quit smoking. I still drink a glass of whiskey when I get off work, but luckily there are alcohol friendly studies that say that it's actually healthy.

+ Reply to Thread