+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miss Crash and Marilyn Manson

Default Miss Crash and Marilyn Manson

Miss Crash stars in "Born Villain", the new music video for Marilyn Manson. Oddly enough, the short film is directed by Shia LaBeouf. Or maybe not so oddly.

I want to think this is the awesome-est music video because Crash is in it. The hook suspensions, gun violence...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Miss Crash and Marilyn Manson

Some parts of it are pretty sexy, but the way it hangs together seems shredded and whimsical...

Iunno. This kind of thing works better in a movie, where the overall point isn't a song that gets interrupted and the different threads end up getting woven in to eachother and explained, at least a little, in the end.

Still? I've learned that I should keep my mouth shut about MM material until I've been exposed to it for a month or two. Everything they've released over the last two albums has seemed to miss the mark to me at first, only to grow on me over time and make me swallow my early comments.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

some nice visuals, but too much filler and it definitely lacks much of any narrative flow. i agree with the previos comments. loved the opening scene wherein he shaves the women's heads, as shaving is one of my wacky fetishes. the only thing he seems to return to in the video is when he shoots the father who was trying to molest the "spooky kid" looking kid.

my favourite lyric and the only memorable ones are the ones about "the **** of persephone" as she has always had a deep rresonance with me - for both religious-spiritual as well as personal reasons.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I figured MTV would never play it because it's not a crappy reality show.

The video was great for the shock value of it, and some of it was really cool, but like most artists/bands with near double digit or double digit numbers of albums, he just seems to be trying to do match his better work. The song isn't bad, and I'll probably end up with the album, but definitely nowhere near his best.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Meh...

It has some great scenes/moments, but overall no narrative and nothing to tie it all together.

And that head shaving/big hat scene was a total rip-off (tribute?) of Holy Mountain.

Which is cool if they really like Holy Mountain, but if you are doing a video, why not create your own disturbing scenes, rather than copying something someone else already did?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

song was alright, the video was alright.....kindof nothing really new though..................him and lady gaga making a video together could be interesting

They're calling this thing a 'short film', not a music video. That doesn't change what it is much, but at least it explains why the music seems to be taking a back seat.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I'm still pissed at him for turning to shit after the Dope Show album, and even that was only mediocre. As for this video/song, meh. And that's it.

This video reminds me of something...

Marylin Manson has had some good songs, but i have never been a huge fan. He spends so much time trying to be shocking that I think his music suffers and the video, while it has some great images, seems like a random collection of stuff Manson and LaBeuf though would freak people out. And it probably would if he did it around 20 years ago. The song feels kinda the same way. Its a shame cause I think he is a decent musician, but that he just isn't really trying musically.

The whole thing makes me feel old, but not in a "those dang kids are crazy" way, more in a condescending, "oh, yes dear, that was very shocking. Now make sure you have warm socks it's cold out" kinda way. I'm going to go put in my teeth and watch an old trent reznor rusty meat type video.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem View Post
    This video reminds me of something...

Marylin Manson has had some good songs, but i have never been a huge fan. He spends so much time trying to be shocking that I think his music suffers and the video, while it has some great images, seems like a random collection of stuff Manson and LaBeuf though would freak people out. And it probably would if he did it around 20 years ago. The song feels kinda the same way. Its a shame cause I think he is a decent musician, but that he just isn't really trying musically.

The whole thing makes me feel old, but not in a "those dang kids are crazy" way, more in a condescending, "oh, yes dear, that was very shocking. Now make sure you have warm socks it's cold out" kinda way. I'm going to go put in my teeth and watch an old trent reznor rusty meat type video.
    You're making a somewhat egocentric leap of logic here that is usually reserved for normal people. Just because something could conceivably shock some people, does not mean it doesn't hold legitimate stand-alone appeal to people with different tastes and standards.

If you can't see how someone could enjoy a thing like this, it's easy to assume it must be designed to evoke only those feelings you can image responding to it with... but that is the limitation of your perspective speaking. Either you simply have different tastes, or you have been dragged out of your cultural comfort zone - slightly enough to respond in a calm, collected fashion, but too much not to respond at all... and if you feel the urge to be condescending about it, that's very much up in the air. One way or another, you're alienated, and therefore in no position to judge.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    You're making a somewhat egocentric leap of logic here that is usually reserved for normal people. Just because something could conceivably shock some people, does not mean it doesn't hold legitimate stand-alone appeal to people with different tastes and standards.

If you can't see how someone could enjoy a thing like this, it's easy to assume it must be designed to evoke only those feelings you can image responding to it with... but that is the limitation of your perspective speaking. Either you simply have different tastes, or you have been dragged out of your cultural comfort zone - slightly enough to respond in a calm, collected fashion, but too much not to respond at all... and if you feel the urge to be condescending about it, that's very much up in the air. One way or another, you're alienated, and therefore in no position to judge.
    I think Cafe_Post_Mortem's point was that, if one is not shocked by the video, then there is not a lot of other response to have ... that is how I read it anyway.

I thought there was sexy stuff in there, in between the painful dinner theater bits, but it is a variety of sexy stuff that is kinda available in a post-MTV internet age.

Yes. That's the essence of my point about his point, in fact. =P

There is some sexy, neat, dinner theater stuff in there, but it looks and sounds like the soul purpose of the collection was to shock which I suppose has value in and of itself, but seems to fall flat here. I could easily go through the video and find a dozen pictures I would hang on my wall, but it seems like I have seen them all before. Not that everything has to be new, but a bunch of random interesting images thrown together like this is kinda boring to me. If he actually pushed me out of my comfort zone, I would have had a response. So yes, I am limited by my perspective (aren't we all) I just think the video comes in at pretty and dull. YMMV.

'Kay.

If one of my (or anyones) projects produces a dozen pictures I'd hang on my wall, I'm generally pretty happy. I wasn't impressed with the coherence either, but I guess I don't see why we should assume he failed to shock rather than failed to entertain if neither of those senses were ever actually stimulated.

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

The vid is amazing. I love Crash she is a good friend and amazing model. The vid is super cool. Saw her Sat night at Studio Servitu with Twiggy R as the dj. I adore my sexy minx. Her and Jane Jett of course.

RazorCandi's Avatar Member

Crash is so stunning <3

RubyViolence's Avatar Senior Member

She's a great friend too which makes her even sexier. hehe

angelbeau's Avatar Junior Member

yay i only bothered to check out this video because crash is in it. otherwise i wouldnt have given it a second glance.

Perhaps the thing to remember is that an artist first makes art for themselves and if they are worth their salt, usually no pretense involved. Just letting the stuff flow out....never been a "fan", but caught the interview on That Metal Show and even under the influence still has a degree of sincerity.

+ Reply to Thread