+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Children Of The Cure?

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Default Children Of The Cure?

So I was thinking, who is the one person that has contributed most to furthering the gothic culture. only one name came to mind, Robert Smith. I don't think that there is anyone who has done what he has. offering an outlet for people who are not like everyone else. Adding a positive light to a world of darkness. helping us through some of our most depressing moments with a world of music. not being afraid to show his true self. So in honor of Robert Smith I say that this new years at midnight, we all play our favorite cure song on full blast so that the world may here who we are. I will be playing "Doing The Unstuck" what song will you be playing? or will you?

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

Default Re: Children Of The Cure?

I'll be working, and I can't imagine any gothic music is going to be playing on the radio when I have the chance to listen in!

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

I never even knew the Cure was a goth band until my girlfriend pointed it out for me like, last year. Well, I didn't know www.blueblood.net was a goth community until about two weeks after I began posting.

... I'm... oblivious.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think Gothic aesthetics, in sound, design, or theme, can be found in many areas. A lot of people want to look at Gothic as more of a black and white "Are you a Gothic?" kind of way, but I think that view is flawed. It's more of an underlaying sort of flavor, to me anyway. I don't think The Cure was 100% Gothic, but I know they appealed to the community and they were very influential on a cultural level. Nearly every successful artist that has played a part in the Gothic culture, has claimed not to be Gothic, simply because people feel that if you are even a little bit Gothic, you must be 100% 24/7, and that's just the height of obnoxious stereotyping. So, I think these artists are indeed qualified, without having to be pigeonholed.

BlueBlood is a mix or meeting of a great number of subcultures, interests, and themes. I'd never want to limit myself to any sort of purist/conformist ideal, and I wouldn't expect anyone in our audience to do that either. But, because they are cool and creative and open minded, they do tend to find a pleasant commonality, and that's what makes up the great community that has supported our various projects over the years.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Robert Smith has always categorically rejected the label of "gothic". It was originally a label applied to 4 English Bands in the late 70s: The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and Bauhaus. For me, the dark archetypes were a natural and necessary journey thru young adulthood. I would tend to agree with Forrest that there should be no delineation of "gothic" or otherwise. I don't think anyone should be confined to an aesthetic or archetype and should feel free to change at any point in time. The Cure is a band with a lot of gothic overtones ... and a lot else to offer. Having said that, The Cure was certainly a part of the soundtrack of my youth. I certainly appreciate the sentiment behind the desire to listen to The Cure at any point in time.

OEC

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I think cultural or subcultural archetypes are fine, it's just important that people understand the difference between participating in activities relating to a culture or subculture while also appreciating a culture's aesthetics (as symbolized by their archetypes) vs. simply being that culture or subcultures archetype. It's not an all or nothing concept, but far to many people define things in those terms.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I think cultural or subcultural archetypes are fine, it's just important that people understand the difference between participating in activities relating to a culture or subculture while also appreciating a culture's aesthetics (as symbolized by their archetypes) vs. simply being that culture or subcultures archetype. It's not an all or nothing concept, but far to many people define things in those terms.
    True. It's inevitable, in some senses, that this will happen tho. The best thing anyone can do is write more about the archetypes.

OEC

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

The first song I heard on the radio by The Cure was Boys Don't Cry I was in 9th grade and the Album had already been a year old, needless to say, I bought it and have loved Robert Smith since... The only other band that I have followed as hard through the years was Depeche Mode... I never saw either band until a few years ago, I got to see DM and totally loved it then this past summer I went to see The Cure and OMG it was horrible weather but it was so worth it...

I will most definately be playing The Cure on New Years and also DM I do every year to start my year right I started this tradition in 80' and am going to keep going til I can't any longer do so... Playing at midnight will be The Cure - Boys Don't Cry followed by Depeche Mode - Stripped

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I consider myself to be "somewhat goth" if that helps at all forrest.

Ouroboros's Avatar Senior Member

What is "somewhat gothic"? I mean, is there really such a thing as a 100 % gothic person? If so, what is he or she like?
    Ever seen that "save your child through christianity" chain e-mail? Rmemeber there were like forty or fifty things that "hinted" if your child was a gothic? I don't think there's one person in the world that doesn't fall in at least five of these characteristics... and they're certainly not aware that makes them gothic.
    My guess is, we all have some "gothness" in us. We all have some traits that someone may recognize as gothic (or punk, or any other subgenre!), and what we label is not the type of person, but the traits we think make them what we are.

... or something.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I don't think that there is such a thing as a 100% goth; everyone has their own individual style that could be termed gothic within what might loosely be called the gothic community, but 100%?

I don't consider myself a goth as such, although much of what I enjoy and do is within the accepted meaning of goth.

+ Reply to Thread