+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are You Goth?

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Default Are You Goth?

Is wearing black enough to consider yourself goth? If you are goth, what makes you goth? How goth are you? Are you sort of fetish/goth?

Or maybe you are like me, just a Gothic Slut!!! Heh! Heh!!!

23*'s Avatar Stranger than fiction
    Ireland With the Leprechauns and the little people.

Default Re: Are You Goth?

Adjectives don't interest me really.

But thats just me.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Black and Orange? My new colors. Hopefully not too halloweenyish haha. I don't like labels. I was there, tho. I'm still here too

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Black and Orange? My new colors. Hopefully not too halloweenyish haha. I don't like labels. I was there, tho. I'm still here too

OEC
    You are Halloweeen Ukrainian Cheesy Goth!

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    You are Halloweeen Ukrainian Cheesy Goth!
    haha guess that will work

OEC

Muzz's Avatar Senior Member

Ok, here comes the corny tree-hugging hippie line:

It's now how others percieve you, it's how you feel inside.

Deep down, damnit, I want to dress in black corsets with a thick black collar and a frilly skirt that poofs over my stilleto pump boots that has lots of buckles, chains, and zippers. I want to shove my hair in pigtails, braid them and entwine black ribbons that fall to my ankles! I want to wear dark eye liner and mascera that's speckled and smokey looking. I just don't have enough money.

Also, labels are a no-no, but it's the best adjective to describe the style. I don't know what makes others Goth. It's always been in my perception that it's either the style of clothes that they wear. To me, Goth is not a state of mind, it's a fashion. There could be a peppy cheer-leader who wears the kind of stuff I want to wear and I'd consider her not gothic in a sense where you'd think their personality was goth, but goth in a sence that it's her fashion style.

...am I making sense?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Not really...I can never pull off a set style any scene has to be honest.

I have often been called " goth ", and it doesnt upset me. But I dont conscider my self gothic per say, I think that most people use that as a label or category to put you in because they dont understand that there doesnt have to be a category.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think people label others so it's easier to make assumptions about them and essentially disarm them of their individuality. Much easier to say "Oh he/she's a goth" and think of that person in whatever cliche manner they think goth's are.

adorn_shadow's Avatar Senior Member

I like the night. sometimes i think i am a vampire am I goth? LOL Like I care.

I am a gothic punk rocker call me poth if you would like. I guess.

well I dont think I can really myself label myself but if only haveing black clothing extreamly into s&m and shit like that well then I guess so??..

I don't really think wearing black makes one a goth. I mean lots of people wear black. I think it's mostly the mind and attitude.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SindelChaos
    I don't really think wearing black makes one a goth. I mean lots of people wear black. I think it's mostly the mind and attitude.
    That's true... very true. On my lunch two days ago, I saw someone dressed in all black. I didn't walk up to them and say "hey, you're a goth, aren't you?" The most bondage they'd like is handcuffs... if that even is bondage.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzz
    ...am I making sense?
    You made a lot of sense.

BTW - I do not consider myself 'goth' or 'gothic'. I really dislike labels.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I'm so goth I'm black.

Why is it so hard to get people to admit they are goth? I mean, if you own of of This Mortal Coil's albums, or even know they have more than one album, or reallye even know who they are, you are probably goth.

Yes, I know, we are beyond lables, but it is such a general lable these days it shouldn't be as avoided as it is. Your goth, admit it. Go ahead, you know deep down you really want to.

Me? I'm a poser, and that's at least a little goth.

CorporateGoth's Avatar Devout follower of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I'm so goth I'm black.
    Then I guess I'm not goth...

BeautifulCorpse's Avatar the bitch down the street

i like to wear black, fishnet, and vinyl at any place, opprortunity or occasion. but youll also see me out wearing jeans and a hoodie. i dont mind that people call me goth because of the clothes i wear of the music i listen to... but its my preference and thats all that frikken matters! Life is to short.

i'm not goth at all, i just have a facination with subcultures

plus the girls are hot

Thurbane316's Avatar Throbbing Member

As much as I enjoy the music, and the scene, I've never considered myself a goth. Maybe a rivethead.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

It's alot more then just black clothing, although I wear black almost all the time, it's also a mind set... Being a little different in my daily life, a little overly anilytical and looking deeper into alot of things, then really needs be, (reading between the lines), which is not always necessary... Not quite fitting in to the, "norm", if it exsists... I am obsessed with darker things in life and hold a very morbid sense of humor, my art and writting tend to be rather deep yet portray who I am...

Basically for me being, "Goth", is more then clothes and music, it is my life and has been for 20+years... The stereotype that we have gotten over the past few years sucks but, I wouldn't be any other way...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I gess i would call myself goth i mean i have what people would consider a gothic mindset and i listen to goth music and go to goth clubs and wear goth clothing im sure i qualify but then again im not much for labels and i liten to music that is most certainly not goth and sometimes i wear jeans and flannel i basiacally just do and wear and listen to whatever the fuck i want goth or not but most of it is goth

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nudemuse
    I'm so goth I'm black.

I'm so goth, even my girlfriend is black.

It's really goth to say that you are not goth.

morbid_lady's Avatar Senior Member

alot of ppl call me goth, i really dont know where i fit in, i have a very eclectic personality. I used to have the nickname, goth-punk-cowgirl, due to my obsession with country music, i thought it was quite funny.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i'm finally using the g-word on here,haha

i don't think i've ever refered to myself and goth in the same sentence,im way to NOT interested in my cloths and looks and shit. jeans,shirt,grease stained mechanic jacket is my standard attire

and for the mental part, when i was younger i quess you could of called me goth ,if you were pretty dumb,

i've always been around the culture though and been "in" with the people and what not......so by assocation ,maybe,some of my tattoos are kinda gothic....
    i've always liked the thing just never cared about putting in the effert for the looks and what not........

ohh, and as for the slow goth music,um it's kinda innoying,ie:black metal and shit like that...........not that i haven't been to my share of Cannibe Corpse shows ,bit that's death metal,a bit different huh,haha

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's funny because it's true.

no. I'm just into Black Magic....

I like my women goth though....its just sexy.
    az

I want to dress in black corsets with a thick black collar and a frilly skirt that poofs over my stilleto pump boots that has lots of buckles, chains, and zippers. I want to shove my hair in pigtails, braid them and entwine black ribbons that fall to my ankles! I want to wear dark eye liner and mascera that's speckled and smokey looking. I just don't have enough money.
    that sounds like me.
    i'm not an all out goth but i find myself leaning towards goth in a lot of ways.
    a lot of what you said rings true for me. there isn't a set definition of what is goth and what is not and there are all different kinds of goth. there's goth music, the goth style, the goth mindset, etc. someone can be goth in one way but not in another way. someone can dress goth but not act the part, another person may act the part but dress like they just stepped out of an old navy catalog. which one of them would be considered more "goth"? i don't think there is really a way to compare them. they both have some goth in them, but in different senses of the word.

i'm not an all out goth but i find myself leaning towards goth in a lot of ways.
    a lot of what you said rings true for me. there isn't a set definition of what is goth and what is not and there are all different kinds of goth. there's goth music, the goth style, the goth mindset, etc. someone can be goth in one way but not in another way. someone can dress goth but not act the part, another person may act the part but dress like they just stepped out of an old navy catalog. which one of them would be considered more "goth"? i don't think there is really a way to compare them. they both have some goth in them, but in different senses of the word.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

Inside "goth" there's a lot to be said like any other scene, you might be or feel or whateve goth but for other's that ain't goth... but me, i don't care about the goth rules, but i consider myself goth but that doesn't mean i don't dress fancy from time to time and always with a touch of goth... i don't preach to much about it 'cause those stupid scene rules, and besides i don't talk about my self and my tastes with averyone i meet.
    My name is Daniel and i am a goth.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Maybe but when about when you're really not?

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

Pretty much the same kind of thing as jbk -

Some ways really but some ways not.. I like punk/goth/metal kind of styles and don't really keep to one of them. None of my friends that are nearby that are at all goth so I'm usually in 'civvies' too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Am I goth, well when it's late at night and noone is there to see me , well , sometimes.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

i don't consider myself goth, but it is probably what i would identify most with... considering the mut of stereotypes all mixed together i think it is the fact that i feel most comfortable around goths, at goth clubs etc.

generally i just say i'm a freak.

I would have to go with the " I just say I'm a freak" thing skully said. In my youth I called myself a goth. Now That i'm a bit older I feel that alot of scenes are made up of stereotypes. Plus corporations latch onto these ideas and make money off of subcultures.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I don't consider myself as a Goth as such, although there are many things which appeal to me in their lifestyle, in the same way as many things in Zen Buddhism appeal to me. I could never wear orange, though.

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

I always thought goth was the crap you scraped off your shoes after walking through a graveyard...
    as for make-up, I have bad skin so I refrain from wearing it, however, I was told I look less like a man and more like a hot lesbian while wearing the old warpaint.

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

goth as f**k

theplague

Maybe more people would admit to goth if it was changed from an adjective to a verb, that way no one feels like they have been labled.

Instead of asking "are you goth?" you'll be all like, "do you goth?" and istead of the usuall "Well I am attracted to the music/style/hair/girls/bois/whatever, but I am not really got", they will just say something like, "I goth some on the weekends and christmas"

I am a firggin genius. Carry on this conversation with goth as a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Maybe more people would admit to goth if it was changed from an adjective to a verb, that way no one feels like they have been labled.

Instead of asking "are you goth?" you'll be all like, "do you goth?" and istead of the usuall "Well I am attracted to the music/style/hair/girls/bois/whatever, but I am not really got", they will just say something like, "I goth some on the weekends and christmas"

I am a firggin genius. Carry on this conversation with goth as a verb.
    That is an interesting perspective. I am inclined to think that taking on any archetype even part-time can be more powerful than we might imagine. Still, goth as a verb works.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread