+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is fun to do in San Diego?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What is fun to do in San Diego?

If you were in San Diego, what would you do for fun?

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Default Re: What is fun to do in San Diego?

I lived in La Jolla for four years. I went to the zoo, went to the wild animal park, drank coffee at beachside cafes, visited Del Mar, visited Mexico, danced at the downtown clubs, went snorkeling at La Jolla Cove, surfed & bodyboarded, went to Blacks Beach (a nude beach when I was there 5 years ago), shopped in Pacific Beach (Garnet Ave., I think it is), saw Miss Saigon, went to school, visited Balboa Park, poked around in tidepools...

leave as soon as you can.....i lived there for 5 years and burned all the scenes......try san francisco.......its a bit more real

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by coulrophobia
    leave as soon as you can.....i lived there for 5 years and burned all the scenes......try san francisco.......its a bit more real
    Real? who in their right minds wants real? I want my entertainment as unreal as possible...I'd rather live in the Fellini film that is most of SoCal than any place "real".

Real is boring.

I do like San Fran though...in measured doses anyhow. It's not my kind of city at all. Fun to visit though but after a week of trying to live there I knew I had to leave.

EvilNun's Avatar Senior Member

I would be content in just going to the beaches.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    If you were in San Diego, what would you do for fun?
    I'm a sucker for all things ocean and ocean life related so it's easy to guess where I spend most of my time down there.

The only other times I'm there are for plays and the ComicCon (though this is more work than play).

unfortunately some of the people in san diego were way too shallow & were the nastiest social status climbers. I have met some of the worst people in my life in S.D. (and only 4-5 cool ones). I've met lots more cool people in SF, but the weather's a little sucky now and then.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    unfortunately some of the people in san diego were way too shallow & were the nastiest social status climbers. I have met some of the worst people in my life in S.D. (and only 4-5 cool ones). I've met lots more cool people in SF, but the weather's a little sucky now and then.
    I love those people. Mainly since if you're not into all that they are endlessly entertaining. I love it how their hanger on's will go broke trying to keep up...$400 for groceries and needed things or that designer sweater that'll make me look hip? the SWEATER!

Insane people I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I love those people. Mainly since if you're not into all that they are endlessly entertaining. I love it how their hanger on's will go broke trying to keep up...$400 for groceries and needed things or that designer sweater that'll make me look hip? the SWEATER!

Insane people I tell you.
    This was another thing I did in San Diego: There was this one girl, and oh, she was a scheming, shallow, two-faced, selfish bitch. My male friends hung out with her though (I don't know why, maybe 'cause she was kinda pretty & she slept with everyone). One time we all went to the gym. She invited me to play raquetball with her. Within 2 minutes, I'd clocked her one on the forehead. It knocked her on her ass, & her head started swelling right away. She ended up w/ a tennis ball sized, red lump on her forehead for 3 weeks. It was the first thing you saw when you saw her. She hated me for it. Don't matter, I didn't think much of her either. But damn, it was the best raquetball game ever.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

This was another thing I did in San Diego: There was this one girl, and oh, she was a scheming, shallow, two-faced, selfish bitch. My male friends hung out with her though (I don't know why, maybe 'cause she was kinda pretty & she slept with everyone). One time we all went to the gym. She invited me to play raquetball with her. Within 2 minutes, I'd clocked her one on the forehead. It knocked her on her ass, & her head started swelling right away. She ended up w/ a tennis ball sized, red lump on her forehead for 3 weeks. It was the first thing you saw when you saw her. She hated me for it. Don't matter, I didn't think much of her either. But damn, it was the best raquetball game ever.

Ah raquetball...I love how competative the people who play it usually get. It's fun since the game is so silly at it's core. You're description is EXACTLY how every match should end...one person injurned in an embarrasing way. Really not only would more peopel watch it but it'd become the national sport...

I'd fucking kill to see that happen. Cause you know the EXTREME version would involve something with a ball that's on fire, a wall that slowly moves forward wanting to crush the players, a floor made of ice, or some crazy sort of electro shock every time you fail to hit the ball.

Though no one has seen raquetball till it's played by 40 year old men who think they are 20. Priceless.

I'd fucking kill to see that happen. Cause you know the EXTREME version would involve something with a ball that's on fire, a wall that slowly moves forward wanting to crush the players, a floor made of ice, or some crazy sort of electro shock every time you fail to hit the ball.

Though no one has seen raquetball till it's played by 40 year old men who think they are 20. Priceless.
    Your games definitely would be more entertaining-- add a crocodile or two, or a starved anaconda, litter the floor with up-ended tacks-- then you have a real match. And it would've been fun if my raquet had spit flames.

The best part of sports (for me) is not the sport itself. I find myself loving the fights that happen-- hockey players beating each other up, tennis players having a screaming argument with the judge, huge brawls at baseball games involving almost everyone... because otherwise, watching a rule-based game just doesn't interest me. I can never (and never will) get all those damn rules straight. Call me a game anarchist.

On a San Diego note: I liked to go to the tidepools. I'd catch a crab or snail and feed them to the anemones.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

... because otherwise, watching a rule-based game just doesn't interest me. I can never (and never will) get all those damn rules straight. Call me a game anarchist.

On a San Diego note: I liked to go to the tidepools. I'd catch a crab or snail and feed them to the anemones.
    You'd dig this one italian sport (name escapes me) that is pretty much a brawl with scoring involved. Two sides try to score by putting some ball like object into a goal...similar to soccer in that respect BUT how that ball gets their is simply insane. Both sides go at it in a way that makes even rugby look tame.

A more rule based but much more fun game is Hurling...basicly in it's more "modern" form it's a group of guys with sticks trying to get a small ball into a goal "area". Kinda like girls field Hockey...if all the girls were on steroids, crack, and hated each other with such passion a death HAD to occur during the game. Now hurling looks liek it'd be a civil game until it's actually played...really a bunch of guyd with large sticks trying to hit a tiny ball pretty much means said stick can be used as a weapon to a degree...and with the insane amount of "Beat the crap out of the other guy" going on you get a VERY physical game. All without the need for the sissy crap "protective" equipment. It's a beautifully savage game.

Here's a funny explenation of the game: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~nobyrne/Hu...gn_dummies.htm

It's the perfect game really.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Most excellent. You lil savage woman you.

tequila..........how long have u been going to comic con ?....if i make it down, this will be my 7th, or 6th.....something like that

Hula Hoop Supervisor

tequila..........how long have u been going to comic con ?....if i make it down, this will be my 7th, or 6th.....something like that
    Off and on since 94...I skip years where I have nothing to show (portfolio wise). It's really the only major convention I go to anymore.

Only problem with the beaches in San Diego is that they are far too overrun with people. However, I lived in Imperial Beach (far south san d) and it was usually pretty quiet, you could just chill out for a while. If you do go there, go to the Tin Fish, down at the end of the pier. They have by far the best fish tacos I've ever had in my life, and the people there are actually friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathofaLegend
    Only problem with the beaches in San Diego is that they are far too overrun with people. However, I lived in Imperial Beach (far south san d) and it was usually pretty quiet, you could just chill out for a while. If you do go there, go to the Tin Fish, down at the end of the pier. They have by far the best fish tacos I've ever had in my life, and the people there are actually friendly.
    La Jolla Shores was crowded when I was there 5-6 years ago. And since then I've heard San Diego has been getting more populated. We used to have to drive around looking for empty beaches... but once you find them, they're awesome.

I didn't play raquetball, but the water was very pretty and the seafood was decent.

I made my hotel reservations for the Comic Con this year during last year's because getting my room was such an adventure.

how much are you spending for a hotel room ? if i make it (the Fates willing) im just going to stay at the hostel...$120 for 5 nights....not bad at all...not really private, but all i need is a bed to lay my tired clown head

Since I am a former cast member, I would be at RHPS on Friday night -- hopefully I could get some stage time, but if not, I just hang with friends. l would also probably party at Sabbat on Saturday night. You might also find me in La Jolla. I love to watch the waves crash into the cliffs late at night. It is just beautiful.

Preach's Avatar Member

/me sings "San Diego... was a mistake... the sun burns into my face... it's six o'clock i'm awake... "

Wheeeeeeeee

lady..........the RHPS in Encinitas? the one up north by del mar and such ? i was there last halloween......

That's the one. I was a cast member with Crazed Imaginations for 10 years or more. My best part was Janet, but I also played Magenta, Columbia, Rocky, Trixie, and Frank. It was great fun. I still perform every now and then when the cast needs me.

lady giulianna...........................do you know kat storms ? she was w/ sean (RHPS) cast member?......i used to go to sabbat, but only if i was in desperate need of a goth fix.....Ministry was good, i remember it from when it was down by the sports arena.....the brass rail in hillcrest had a few good nights as well....im looking forward to the death guild here in san francisco...anyone know anything about it ?

Hmmm, well cant help replying to this (since I'm in SD right now!!!). With respects to the scene, it is much smaller than LA and SF (obviously)....hmmm actually I've thought about this topic a lot over the last decade, and I have many opinions on the seemingly small scene in SD compared to LA and SF. But i digress (maybe I'll write an essay about it on my LJ).

So there is probably less to do in-and-out of scene in SD compared to LA. But those of us who live here seem to keep ourselves occupied. Currently, my 5 nights a week schedule is:

MONDAY: nothing
    TUESDAY: $2 you call it (including RebBull w/GreyGoose)/$2 NY Steak at DreamGirls
    WEDNESDAY: nothing
    THURSDAY: Club 80's (kick ass 80's club, though the patrons are mostly too young to know about 80's music really) at Shooterz
    FRIDAY: Movie night or Club Therapy at Rio
    SATURDAY: Club Sabbat (a.k.a. SadBat) at Shooterz
    SUNDAY: Big Sonic Chill at SideBar

and voila!!

for a complete SD club listing including monthly events etc., you can check out LadyNoir's Swtichboard, since I can't post links yet, just go to google and search on ladynoir+switchboard

There are many other, non-club type things to do here as well, like hiking and beach stuff, which is much more enjoyable to do here since we don’t have to sit in 1 hour of traffic just to go to the corner 7-11.

IMNSHO,
    /mario

Quote Originally Posted by cOrE_dUmPeR
    Hmmm, well cant help replying to this (since I'm in SD right now!!!). With respects to the scene, it is much smaller than LA and SF (obviously)....hmmm actually I've thought about this topic a lot over the last decade, and I have many opinions on the seemingly small scene in SD compared to LA and SF. But i digress (maybe I'll write an essay about it on my LJ).

So there is probably less to do in-and-out of scene in SD compared to LA. But those of us who live here seem to keep ourselves occupied. Currently, my 5 nights a week schedule is:

MONDAY: nothing
    TUESDAY: $2 you call it (including RebBull w/GreyGoose)/$2 NY Steak at DreamGirls
    WEDNESDAY: nothing
    THURSDAY: Club 80's (kick ass 80's club, though the patrons are mostly too young to know about 80's music really) at Shooterz
    FRIDAY: Movie night or Club Therapy at Rio
    SATURDAY: Club Sabbat (a.k.a. SadBat) at Shooterz
    SUNDAY: Big Sonic Chill at SideBar

and voila!!

for a complete SD club listing including monthly events etc., you can check out LadyNoir's Swtichboard, since I can't post links yet, just go to google and search on ladynoir+switchboard

There are many other, non-club type things to do here as well, like hiking and beach stuff, which is much more enjoyable to do here since we don’t have to sit in 1 hour of traffic just to go to the corner 7-11.

IMNSHO,
    /mario
    I almost went to the 80's night, but ended up having some other obligation. Maybe next time. I went to some sort of spooky bar on Wednesday though. Only one girl dancing on the whole dance floor, but the decor was really nice. Any idea what that would have been?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I almost went to the 80's night, but ended up having some other obligation. Maybe next time. I went to some sort of spooky bar on Wednesday though. Only one girl dancing on the whole dance floor, but the decor was really nice. Any idea what that would have been?
    One girl on dancefloor, nice decor......ahhhh yes, Darkwave Garden at Kadaan on Wednesdays. Nice place to relax, but there really just aren't enough people that go there [consistently] to keep it interesting. Once in a while I stop in to remind myself why I don't go there. Though there is a very sweet old skool metalhead girl who bartends there.

There is also a new 80's club on the first Thursday of every month called GlitterBox that Club Sabbat's Linda E. puts on at Rich's (in the heart of Hillcrest). It's 80's, but with more a a glam flavour (as opposed to Club 80's which is more on the NewWave side). It's a nice change of pace, and in general a bit of a more freakish crowd...though since it's still very new, it still needs a little time to get a larger following.

If you see me at 80's next time (or GlitterBox for that matter), come say hi, I buy you drinky. :-)

lady giulianna...........................do you know kat storms ? she was w/ sean (RHPS) cast member?......i used to go to sabbat, but only if i was in desperate need of a goth fix.....Ministry was good, i remember it from when it was down by the sports arena.....the brass rail in hillcrest had a few good nights as well....im looking forward to the death guild here in san francisco...anyone know anything about it ?
    Yes, I know Kat. But sadly, I haven't been able to keep in touch with her.

Ministry was a great club to hang out in. I never got to go as much as I wanted to since it ran on the same night as RHPS.

I can't help you about the SF thing. I've never been there. It is one of the cities on my must see list for vacations.

all i can say about san francisco is im going to try it and find out....theres seems be enough up here every day of the week (or every night) to keep one busy (idle hands and that sort of thing, you know).....

and as for Kat if you would like to reconnect w/ her im still in touch w/ her....

ps.........san diego is textbook paradise

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

i am in SD and i dont do a fucking thing... all the raves i want to go to oare in LA or somewhere else... and then in SD all clubs and concerts are 21+.... i found one club thats Darkwave/industrial/Electronica.. thats all agaes.. the Djs and live bands kick ass so i go there ever 2nd and 4th Saturday...

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I am in SD and there is nothing fun to do because I don't have a car. This is my fun. Sitting on the computer all day long posting on MB's

SD- do the following clubs still exist:- The Halycon? The Sunshine Saloon Company (OB)? Ah memories- P.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

never been to San Diego...one day maybe

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    SD- do the following clubs still exist:- The Halycon? The Sunshine Saloon Company (OB)? Ah memories- P.
    I know the sunshine saloon co is still there

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    I know the sunshine saloon co is still there
    My ex basically lived there...I lived two streets over on Saratoga.P.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Real? who in their right minds wants real? I want my entertainment as unreal as possible...I'd rather live in the Fellini film that is most of SoCal than any place "real".

Real is boring.

I do like San Fran though...in measured doses anyhow. It's not my kind of city at all. Fun to visit though but after a week of trying to live there I knew I had to leave.
    "Reality is for people who have no imagination." For the life of me I can't remember who said that, but I love the quote. San Fran Is great if you don't have to drive. Making left turns up there is an exercise in pateince. I like the drive to San Diego far better than the actual being there. the veiw on the way down is Awesome. Mebe next year I'll make it down to the Comicon, if I'm not as broke as I was this year. that tide pool thingy with the anenomes and the snails sounds like fun , too.

K

+ Reply to Thread