+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Writer Hunter S. Thompson dead at 67

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Writer Hunter S. Thompson dead at 67

they said he shot himself, this is one of the few celeb deaths that has really struck me, that really sucks ,man...........

here's the story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7005168/?GT1=6190

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Default Re: Writer Hunter S. Thompson dead at 67

I heard that on the BBC just a little bit ago (in Idaho of all places). Didn't he say he would probably go like that? I thought I read something from him about that.

and your little dog too

this makes me really sad and angry. i know what you mean about it being striking. more links are on the biggest thompson fan site at http://www.gonzo.org/

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't pretend to know much about the man's personal life, but from what I do know of him and his works I can say that he is a true Icon. Unlike so many people that are "counter culture" or underground today, he brought the underground to the mainstream and did it because what he said was true and he got in everyone's face about it, and not by selling out or pandering to the opposition.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Oh man, this sux! I loved Hunter S. Thompson. I can't believe he took the coward's way out. I'll always love his writings. I feel bad for posting a frivolous obit now. Hunter was the man.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

If Hunter S. Thompson thinks it is time to throw in the towel, we are all fucked.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

wow i didnt know that i met him once or twice (not too awfully surprising he lived in my hometown) its really sad to see him go

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    If Hunter S. Thompson thinks it is time to throw in the towel, we are all fucked.
    No kidding...I am in total shock right now. He's the last person I would have guessed would have killed himself...let along with a gun blast to the heart...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    No kidding...I am in total shock right now. He's the last person I would have guessed would have killed himself...let along with a gun blast to the heart...

I'm not surprised by the method of choice, but I am horrified that he felt it was that urgently time to go. Celeb deaths generally don't impinge upon my consciousness much, but this one freaks me out.

I'm not surprised by the method of choice, but I am horrified that he felt it was that urgently time to go. Celeb deaths generally don't impinge upon my consciousness much, but this one freaks me out.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson

OEC

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

bah, cowards way? come on. only a coward is someone's who's death takes away from thier life. you should die like you lived, and if he chose to die, i'd like to believe that he did so because he did what he wanted to do in life, and so had no more reason to stick around. any lover of life doesn't fear death, any adventurer is always eager to go to new places, should the next life be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    bah, cowards way? come on. only a coward is someone's who's death takes away from thier life. you should die like you lived, and if he chose to die, i'd like to believe that he did so because he did what he wanted to do in life, and so had no more reason to stick around. any lover of life doesn't fear death, any adventurer is always eager to go to new places, should the next life be any different?
    We'll know when we get there.

OEC

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I'm curious what his reason was to make an early exit...gonna miss his writing in the next election.

I just really hope it's not exploited in some way by both fans and critics...it'd be really sad for the focus to be on his death more than his work in coming years.

*balghaghalh!!!

that sucks.

I feel like throwing a temper tantrum or something. It seems impossible. The most indestructible of the indestructibles....?!?!

I reiterate:

Ditto.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

................... this is pretty sad. I never read Fear and Loathing, but it's a book I intended to read.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    ................... this is pretty sad. I never read Fear and Loathing, but it's a book I intended to read.
    See if you can find some of his journal type leters and that recounting his experiences. They're great.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

If anyone is intrested Poppy Z. Brite had an interesting comment on all this in her Livejournal

PrettySkullButAngryWhore's Avatar Member
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.... New Hampshire

I poured out a whole 40 oz. last night in honor of thompson. if i would have had a case of drugs i probably would have gone crazy trying to channel his spirit, but sadly all i could afford was 3 40s. he will be missed by many.

...one of the few people who seemed to live up to his larger-than-life reputation. I'm sure he had his reasons for taking his own life, but we're all culturally poorer as a result.

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

First Jerry Orbach, now this... balls.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Comic fans should get a kick out of this.

Scroll down till you see his words about Hunter. Now the funny part is Warren Ellis is probably the LAST person who should be sent anywhere near Hunter...Transmetropolitan was a great comic but even that book peaked early so for Ellis (lets face it...he's not as good as many claim him to be) writing about a writer like thompson peaking is a bit funny.

More so when you factor in that his most critically praised work was not "inspired" by Thompson...it was a BLATENT FUCKING RIP OFF...anyone who reads Hunter's work and the first 20 or so issues of Transmetropolitan will see it clear as crystal. Not knocking the book mind you...it was a great comic...but it was great cause it was build from something already grand and good.

It howerver is the only major peice of pop fiction to introduce many to Hunter's work and the whole gonzo ideal...but at the same time it also charicatured the man into an image all too many want to hold on to.

Odd that in a man so many see the truth in...they cling desperately to the lie.

"Hunter's life, like his work, was one long barbaric yawp, to use Whitman's term, of the drug-fueled freedom from and mockery of all conventional proprieties that began in the 1960s. In that enterprise Hunter was something entirely new, something unique in our literary history. When I included an excerpt from "The Hell's Angels" in a 1973 anthology called "The New Journalism," he said he wasn't part of anybody's group. He wrote "gonzo." He was sui generis. And that he was.

Yet he was also part of a century-old tradition in American letters, the tradition of Mark Twain, Artemus Ward and Petroleum V. Nasby, comic writers who mined the human comedy of a new chapter in the history of the West, namely, the American story, and wrote in a form that was part journalism and part personal memoir admixed with powers of wild invention, and wilder rhetoric inspired by the bizarre exuberance of a young civilization."

Tom Wolfe

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110006325 - For full article

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    "Hunter's life, like his work, was one long barbaric yawp, to use Whitman's term, of the drug-fueled freedom from and mockery of all conventional proprieties that began in the 1960s. In that enterprise Hunter was something entirely new, something unique in our literary history. When I included an excerpt from "The Hell's Angels" in a 1973 anthology called "The New Journalism," he said he wasn't part of anybody's group. He wrote "gonzo." He was sui generis. And that he was.

Yet he was also part of a century-old tradition in American letters, the tradition of Mark Twain, Artemus Ward and Petroleum V. Nasby, comic writers who mined the human comedy of a new chapter in the history of the West, namely, the American story, and wrote in a form that was part journalism and part personal memoir admixed with powers of wild invention, and wilder rhetoric inspired by the bizarre exuberance of a young civilization."

Tom Wolfe

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110006325 - For full article

Too true...his collected correspondence are very interesting reads. It's a bit of an underappreciated treasure really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Too true...his collected correspondence are very interesting reads. It's a bit of an underappreciated treasure really.
    History will record him as having been one of the better American writers of the 20th Century.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread