+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free comic books for the whole class

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Free comic books for the whole class

Apparently the comic book distributor I used to lay out the catalog for is doing a promo with a bunch of stores across the planet to raise interest in comics and is giving stuff away July 3. You can check what stores are participating where you live here.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Free comic books for the whole class

Yup...that's a regular thing now. Been going on for about 2 years now if I am correct.

Sadly the only way to get the ghost towns that are comic book shops filled with people again is to stop trying to copy movies and books.

Too many comics today look and feel like storyboards. Sales thankfully are on the rise...slowly...but the indie scene is migrating online. Thanks to the new "rules" for distribution most self publishers can't even do that anymore.

Some of the most original stuff is now only online...and by non-pro's at that.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Yup...that's a regular thing now. Been going on for about 2 years now if I am correct.

Sadly the only way to get the ghost towns that are comic book shops filled with people again is to stop trying to copy movies and books.

Too many comics today look and feel like storyboards. Sales thankfully are on the rise...slowly...but the indie scene is migrating online. Thanks to the new "rules" for distribution most self publishers can't even do that anymore.

Some of the most original stuff is now only online...and by non-pro's at that.
    Yeah, I laid out Diamond's catalog when they were in Baltimore before launching Blue Blood. I didn't really want to move to Timonium or commute there, so I never went perm. That and a fear of commitment in such situations. But they never distroed my stuff. I kept a copy of Blue Blood #1 on my desk for weeks. They could be more indie-friendly. Ultimately they are shooting themselves and the industry in the foot by not being.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Ultimately they are shooting themselves and the industry in the foot by not being.
    They really are but they are the ONLY distro vompany around these days...so everyone has to deal through them without question. I'd be nice for an anti-trust lawsuit to pop up against them but in the big picture they are considered niche' and small time.

I have the old Diamond Previews from years back and they were filled with far more stuff than they are these days.

One of the saddest things to happen is they have used their knowledge of advance issues to promote books. This has pissed off a few writers, artists, and editors in the past and ruined a few surprises as a result. It's like a giant spoiler catalog at times.

I'm interested in really exceptional comic book art. I clicked your link and when the first sponsor I saw was this I decided I don't mind waiting until I can afford some.

+ Reply to Thread