+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New feature on Blue Blood photog Carlos Batts

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default New feature on Blue Blood photog Carlos Batts

Got a new feature on Blue Blood photographer Carlos Batts online now at http://www.blueblood.net/bb_141.html. Please check it out.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: New feature on Blue Blood photog Carlos Batts

Reading it now. Was curious when a feature on him would show up.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: New feature on Blue Blood photog Carlos Batts

Very good article, It shed light on some things I was curious about in terms of what inspired his work. I really like the focus of his new book...I'm not a huge fan of some of his other work but it has been growing on me (I'm really picky and sensitive to colors and his use of them sometimes blinds me...odd feeling to say the least.) I was really shocked he mentioned the rarely remembered comix version of Tapping the Vein...I still have copies in my collection. I'd buy him a beer just for that. Same for DeadWorld...(mile high comics has a pretty good sale and prices on that series right now) curious if he was ever into the work of Bernie Wrightson...excellent article. A few questions I do have is how on earth he gets some of those amazing color and layers without using a computer...the sad thing about this "style" is that some dismiss it at times due to everything being photoshopped to death these days. The fact he's able to bring such depth to these images makes one wonder about the techniques he uses...if their was ever an argument why NOT to go only digital this is it. Though I'm curious if he ever will given how computers can do collage work extremely well. Of them all I loved the 3rd one in the article...it's just perfect in the colors, composition, and mood it sets...for me it's like a pulp novel dream spilled onto a negative. It just screams intense emotions...can't wait to see it "bigger". From the sound of the exhibit it sounds intense...twelve 35”x45” photographic works...wow...gotta see that. I've heard of the gallery many times in the past...recently with last years Bettie Page and this years Sharon Tate exhibits. I always forget that L.A. has some interesting galleries...must make the effort to vist them more often (been a bit self-involved over the last 2 years)...again...excellent article.

Now do one on Jim Balent...hehehhe...he's the former Catwoman artist who like a marathon man did 100 issues...a rarity these days. He's currently doing (5 years strong really)the series "Tarot"..the ONLY over the top, sexual, horror, and supernatural comic going strong today. Think Chaos Comics style before they went ICP and WWF crazy. I'm not gonna say it's a masterwork but its fun, naughty, and ties into that old skool mentality when not all comics where so serious. When you read it and see the artwork you get the impression the guy is having a ball...and you don't get that from too many comics anymore. He's one of the more underrated artists in the comics industry which is sad since he has a very iconic and stylized look to his work that highlights what comics can do beyond being bastard children to books and movies. Here's his site: http://jimbalentstudios.com/studio.htm

Granted he may not be something you'd want to to a feature on but I felt I'd clue some in on his work since it feels like a good fit here...it's quite playful.

+ Reply to Thread