+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the making of splenda, over 12,000 animals kiled

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

Default the making of splenda, over 12,000 animals kiled

A Splenda Way to Die! (from http://www.shacamerica.net /)

In a time when obesity has seen a dramatic increase, diabetes is plaguing more and more children, and doctors are warning people to cut down on their sugars, sugar giant Tate and Lyle, with the aid of McNeil Specialty Products (a division of Johnson and Johnson) came up with a sweetener 600 times more potent than real sugar! Now where do you think you go to test “safe” a product as “important” Sucralose (also called Splenda in the US) – Huntingdon Life Sciences, of course.

Huntingdon played a big role in the testing that took place to bring this garbage product to the market. An estimated 12,800 animals died in the process according to a published report in a recent scientific journal.

Some of the more gruesome details revealed:

• 32 beagle dogs were locked in metal cages for 52 weeks. They were given Sucralose mixed in with their normal feed, and blood and urine samples were collected. At the end of the study they were killed by means of exsanguiation - they had their throats slit open and bled to death. They were then cut open and their organs - by now drained of blood so easier to dissect - were examined to test the product's toxicity levels.
    • Four beagle puppies (or as HLS calls them – punching bags) were starved before being force-fed the super-sweet sugar powder. HLS employees then took blood samples from the jugulars of the infant dogs.

• An unspecified number of marmoset monkeys either died from the poisoning or were killed at the termination of the research at HLS.

• The report states that 12 of these monkeys, which were babies – under 10 months old – were force-fed Sucralose for seven weeks. Two of the primates died on the seventh day from brain defects, another primate was mysteriously killed after four weeks, and the remainder all were murdered at the completion of the seventh week. Some of the recorded observations from this study noted “in appetence, body weight loss, unwillingness to use hind leg, hopping, involuntary grip reflexes, salivation and subdued mood.”

• Huntingdon also used rabbits to study the effects of the product. These little animals were given 1200 times the expected daily intake and not surprisingly most died from the trauma. Many of the other rabbits suffered from convulsions, weight loss, and various intestinal disorders.

• Huntingdon also tested the product on pregnant rabbits, mice, and rats – killing both the mothers and the fetuses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also- it IS bad for you. I googled many health studies and found it has side effects Here's a good link: http://www.dailytrojan.com/media/pap...d-934318.shtml "According to the Sucralose Toxicity Information Center, the vast majority of tests were conducted on animals. These tests revealed that Splenda consumption can cause up to 40 percent shrinkage of the thymus, a gland that is essential to maintain normal function of the immune system. Splenda also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys and calcification of the kidneys."
    They MUST know of the side effects- their website states that if you have an "adverse reaction" to it call their help line!!!
    (from their site:If you need to report an adverse event or a side effect from one of our products, please phone us at 1-800-7-SPLENDA so we can give you more personalized attention.
    It is important to know that if you have a medical emergency or if you need specific medical advice, you should contact your primary healthcare provider, poison control center, or your local emergency room.)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

I will be contacting Splenda to let them know that I will not be purchasing their product since it was animal tested and that I will be informing others of their cruelty. Blood for sweetner. How disgusting!
    I urge you to do the same.
    www.splenda.com
    Call 1-800-7-SPLENDA
    email form:

http://www.splenda.com/vcrc/email/emailform.jhtml

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: the making of splenda, over 12,000 animals kiled

wow, i'd say im impressed but people do this shit all the time.....

i only wish i could catch them in the act,to give them, a brass laden fist a couple times......or till there a pulp of mangled flesh on the pavement next to the animals they killed.....

eye for an eye, huh........i'd sure play the role on the animals side....

how about we just hunt 'em down...and uhhh,"see how things go from there"........

Hula Hoop Supervisor

600 times more potent than sugar? Do we really need anything quite that sweet?

I can understand the benefits of animal testing but their is quite a thin line between testing and sadism. Given it's for a sweetner of all things...it seems a bit insane to kill 12,000 + animals for it...

If people need something that sweet...fuck...put a bloody pixie stick in your beverage and what not. Problem solved.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

They want to see what will happen when people overdo it.

They also increase the dose short-term, to see what is likely to happen with
    long-term human exposure.

Splenda is in all kinds of diet foods and "sugar-free" products.

I understand the science behind animal testing.
    I really don't like it, but in some ways, it's the only way to test some new products.
    If they do not test it, then they will have to just put it in stores, and see what happens
    to people. So rather than have people fucked up, they overdose animals with the products.
    If nothing happens to the animals, then it's probably pretty safe. If they have problems,
    it's likely people will have problems as well...

For those who want to ban animal testing, what would you do when a company
    comes up with a new food product, and wants to put it on the market?

Obviously, most people who are against animal testing would prefer we
    all eat organic food, etc...

Being in the medical field, I can see many benifits from animal testing. For instance mice milk is used to prevent pyrolysis in stroke patients if administered quick enough. And diabetic patients would have no chance if it were not for animal testing. There are cures for diseases that need to be found, and there really is no other way.

BUT, doing this for an artificial sweetner, no. Make up, no. And the list goes on...

what is the boycott for if the deeds have already been done?

what do people want splenda to do before they stop the boycott?

personally i dont care, I don't eat/drink splenda anyhow... just curious

Quote Originally Posted by karamae
    what is the boycott for if the deeds have already been done?

what do people want splenda to do before they stop the boycott?

personally i dont care, I don't eat/drink splenda anyhow... just curious
    The boycott is for people who care about animal rights. To not support companies who do animal testing.

I cant imagine anyone who cares about animal testing would ever reconsider purchasing this product. And all other products who do the same kind of animal research.

Heres a picture i did way back in 2001 about my view point on animal testing..

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

quite a powerful picture ya got there, it's hard to look at......

Damn humans,i'm glad i'm not one......

So you're all for it then...

ya its fucked up.. were all animals too.. you dont see testing on us! oh wait..ya you do..theres those "if your over 30 and smoke test our products" anyway..the point is Stop Vivisection!

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    Being in the medical field, I can see many benifits from animal testing. For instance mice milk is used to prevent pyrolysis in stroke patients if administered quick enough. And diabetic patients would have no chance if it were not for animal testing. There are cures for diseases that need to be found, and there really is no other way.

BUT, doing this for an artificial sweetner, no. Make up, no. And the list goes on...
    Yes, but there are alternatives for animal testing. I wrote a paper on it ages ago....if I find it, I'll post it.

There is in vitro testing, etc.... you don't have to blind a bunny just to test and see if your eyeliner is toxic.

So there ARE other ways...we are just too damn evil and lazy to do them. Being in the medical field as well....I know that other things can be done.

The whole makeup thing and sweetener thing...horrible! It's back to Honey and Stevia for me from now on....YUCK.

Humans are evil...yes.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by sunkarma
    Humans are evil...yes.

if you're an animal in a laboratory, humans are definitely evil.

excuse me; i have to go kick the dogs. my sister went to japan and left them with me.

Chop Suey's Avatar Junior Member

Its not that i have a huge problem with animal testing in medical research, but things like food research and beauty testing is obsurd. there are a huge number of people out there willing to test almost anything on themselves for less then the cost of buying and keeping 12,000 animals. it makes sense for medical research, but nothing as frivilous as sweetener. i just keep seeing the video for Testure... good song.

in nervous convulsion crouches infant ape trembling in mothers shit
    cage eyes tear less filled with contempt
    clinic mask experiment with life and death
    smell lingering noxious mixed scent anxiety
    omnipotent doctor grinds the cage door revealing
    loves primal instinct taken away
    the tiny face terrified
    rant and rave smash your head against the cage vacuum clicks on high
    conscious of the pain pass off as humane white coat seems
    so clean most dirt bleached out of greed
    force the point of habit eyes burnin
    a rabbit push the pain test button spines cut trip mucous inflection
    more die.
    pills each day what goes around comes back stronger
    tap into the brain break the skull again
    smash price research rat lab rent pain
    in flesh more ill drug store sales sharpen the knife
    emphasis on money
    new disease everyday end is seen and coming
    reseach turns it's back to gain crush the spine genocide kitten drags its dead limb
    continuing all suffering it will come back and win shock
    paralyse turn trauma burns out the will to live the lying message
    5 year genocide 1945 suicide
    vivisect vi

It's a tough situation.

I mean, hurting animals, or people, is pretty lame, and shitty.
    If we would not want to be experimented on, then we shouldn't do it to other creatures.

But at the same time, testing new scientific and medical procedures, and drugs, is better than just inventing something new, and throwing it out there for people to use. I'd rather test a new drug on a dog destined to be euthenized anyway, rather than to try it myself, untested...

I just think it should be done as humanely as possible.
    Some kinds of tests are really not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop Suey
    i just keep seeing the video for Testure... good song.
    *pops it into his dvd player* heh..good song indeed!

I don't do any of these sugary soft drinks as it is, all they do is rot your teeth.

I'll make sure I don't buy anything else with Splenda in it though...just like I always check for stuff like Aspartame.

Folks, it really is better to just stick to less processed foods like fruit, especially the organic variety !

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I dunno what to say-I probably have one of the worst diets in the world only eat once a day and it's usually fried-and meat based with an energy drink in the morning (im a carnivore). But The way these animals were killed was wrong. there really should be no reason that a healthy animal should hav to be executed to see if there were any internal signs. if these docs were about their business-they should have known a good idea on what splenda could and could'nt do on paper before they even went to testing. and I'v eheard splenda isnt even that healthy to humans anyway! This is why i use good ole granulated white sugar....or brown sugar.

Pzychotic's Avatar Dark Entity

Let those doing all this "testing" be subjected to the test that they feel are doing man right... These "scientists" can all kiss my hairy A**... There is no reason whatsoever to have to use animals for anykind of testing at all anymore with the capabilities of todays computers they should be ably to project how and what all chemical compounds can do to the body eve before the products are made... If not then we are seriously lacking for good programmers in the research fields...

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

they should know it off of basic old school chemistry as well...that shit I missed most of in highschool cuz i was in the bathroom getting stoned but i do remember a little of the periodic table. these jackasses make their careers after it.

Thanks for the tip off. I had no idea. I literally spat out my tea(I am English you know) as I read this. I have binned all of this stuff and will be writing.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Ugh. Is Splenda the brand name for sucralose or are those two different poisonous artificial sweeteners?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Sunkarma, I would be interested in reading that paper of yours. it's definatly a subject worth considering.

it's pretty gross how many so called animal rights people use products that are tested on animals. I once critisized a girl who claimed vegan who used lipstick made from fish scales, I was like "so you don't have a problem rubbing a dead animal all over your mouth as long as you don't chew it?"

I think that we should perform medical testing on clinically ill people. now that may sound horrible, but think about it, if you were dying not only would you not have anything to lose, but wouldn't you want to test a new medicine that could potentially cure you?

as far as someone saying that animal testing for diabetes is neccesary on animals, I disagree. we allready have treatments for diabetes that work. sure we may be able to develop easier/ more comofortable/ more effective means and that's all good, but it's not like we can't do anything about it without killing tons of innocent healthy animals, and since we can, to do so just for the hell of it is wrong.

lastly, what's wrong with organic products? it seems to me kind of backwards that only "alternative" people are the ones that like eat real food that grows out of the ground. I mean who gives a fuck about a genetically engeneered peach that looks just perfect? oh yeah, and in 20 years you are going to get brain cancer from eating it. it's a sympton of a sick society that people would rather subject themselves to poison if it makes them look good. It's the same companies that put suger uncessarily in every single one of thier fucking products and gave everyone diabetes that are saying " oh no, you guys are eating too much suger." and then developed some other shit that's twice as bad for you.

I have a peach tree in my backyard. It grew there because someone stuck a seed in the ground. I go outside and water in once a week. now I have a dozens of delicious peaches to eat for free. It's the easiest thing in the world. sure it may be difficult to grow some crops that only grow in certain climate types, but if it grows there native, then it will grow. this shit has grown for thousands of years without people doing anything. It's not hard to grow shit.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    lastly, what's wrong with organic products? it seems to me kind of backwards that only "alternative" people are the ones that like eat real food that grows out of the ground. I mean who gives a fuck about a genetically engeneered peach that looks just perfect? oh yeah, and in 20 years you are going to get brain cancer from eating it. it's a sympton of a sick society that people would rather subject themselves to poison if it makes them look good. It's the same companies that put suger uncessarily in every single one of thier fucking products and gave everyone diabetes that are saying " oh no, you guys are eating too much suger." and then developed some other shit that's twice as bad for you.
    sugar is organic well suger kane is anyway

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah I don't really understand the correlation between suger and insulin in your blood stream. oh well, i'm probibly fucked. in addicted to dr. pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

I think that we should perform medical testing on clinically ill people. now that may sound horrible, but think about it, if you were dying not only would you not have anything to lose, but wouldn't you want to test a new medicine that could potentially cure you?

as far as someone saying that animal testing for diabetes is neccesary on animals, I disagree. we allready have treatments for diabetes that work. sure we may be able to develop easier/ more comofortable/ more effective means and that's all good, but it's not like we can't do anything about it without killing tons of innocent healthy animals, and since we can, to do so just for the hell of it is wrong.
    What I ment with my diabetes statement is that animal testing is what brought us to the use of insulin. Same thing with the mice milk.

I think prisoners who are on death row would be excellent candidates for medical testing. Or most long term prisoners in general.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think prisoners who are on death row would be excellent candidates for medical testing. Or most long term prisoners in general.
    They do this in China actually...use them for organ doners too. Always liked that idea but their is a need for prisoners rights and when you open up a pandora's box like that abuse is bound to go quite extreme. Instead of having people arrested and abused for racial reasons we may have it for blood type and organ health reasons. Sounds a bit sci-fi but their is some truth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    They do this in China actually...use them for organ doners too. Always liked that idea but their is a need for prisoners rights and when you open up a pandora's box like that abuse is bound to go quite extreme. Instead of having people arrested and abused for racial reasons we may have it for blood type and organ health reasons. Sounds a bit sci-fi but their is some truth to it.
    OOhhh yikes, I would have never thought of it that way.

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Ugh. Is Splenda the brand name for sucralose or are those two different poisonous artificial sweeteners?

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative.

Shitty thing is... during all the time I was in the hospital, that was all that available... you would think that it would be the last place you'd find it.

But then again... what the fuck to do doctors know anyhow.. one of the few professions you can spend a lifetime doing and still not know it all. Just too bad most of them think they do

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    Splenda, also known as sucralose, is artificial sweetener which is a chlorinated sucrose derivative.

Shitty thing is... during all the time I was in the hospital, that was all that available... you would think that it would be the last place you'd find it.

But then again... what the fuck to do doctors know anyhow.. one of the few professions you can spend a lifetime doing and still not know it all. Just too bad most of them think they do
    Thank you for the info. That stuff tastes like poison. If I were a lab bunny, they would have to force feed it to me too. Appallingly, they would.

Anyone else here read Richard Adams as a kid? Watership Down and his scarier lab dog stuff?

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Thank you for the info. That stuff tastes like poison. If I were a lab bunny, they would have to force feed it to me too. Appallingly, they would.

Anyone else here read Richard Adams as a kid? Watership Down and his scarier lab dog stuff?

Big Sky Video has a 25th anniversary DVD out.

I haven't read that in so long... now because of you, I will have to go on the hunt for it (not that it's a bad thing... hehe)

+ Reply to Thread