+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you have any suggestions on Overcoming Writer's Block?

Default Do you have any suggestions on Overcoming Writer's Block?

I am still trying to figure out a way to set a Good Beginning,Middle, and Ending for some of my Comics and stories.

The stuff in the middle is the easiest, but getting started is probably the difficult stuff when starting volumes,issues, etc.

Several Years ago, One of my Comics almost became a TV show, Movie, or maybe even a Video Game, but writers block, and not knowing the best ways for a story board had prevented that at the time.

Any ideas, or suggestions?

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Do you have any suggestions on Overcoming Writer's Block?

this is funny because i have the exact opposite problem...i write stories and scripts from the beginning...and then i get excited about my ending idea and write that, and then i dont write the middle....

i guess the best thing to do is wait until you're in a creative mood to write...maybe watch a movie or listen to some songs that spark your creativity...

Gav Thorpe Told me that the best way he writes a Novel, would be to Start at the End, and work Backwards.

Any other suggestions?

Hey, Bre.Star Maybe you would be interested in sharing Stories, Ideas, and other stuff?

We could also chat in general and also be friends as well.

Private Message me if you are interested.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Printed comics on average are 24 pages...so you really got to set up your story in a way that nothing is wasted from scene to scene.

Ask yourself "What is this story about?" then head into "What would make that interesting?"

If your story was say about a guy heading toward some ancient ruin it'd be damned boring to have him start At his home...then up the path the ancient ruin...and end at the ruin. That's done to death in games and pretty cliche'.

A more interesting way would be to have the story begin in the middle of some sort of conflict ON the path (a battle, an argument with another character, the main character in deep thought, etc.)

Just take what you have as an idea..and dream up of way to present it in a way not normally done. That should get your beginning going and your ending already in mind.

Though to be honest your question was more along the lines of "How do I write a good story"...and that's a long topic in and of itself. Cause if you can't figure out a good beginning, middle, and end to a story...or in this case a comic....you only have an idea.

Anyone can have an idea...but very few can execute said idea well. If you can't do it yourself...find someone that can.

Mother Superior

I can't create any writing unless my mind is ready and willing ,then it takes me very little time to create something I am happy with. As for a Comic book, I would try to envison exactly what you want from beginning to end, prior to even starting the work. Take notes, always. Your thoughts can be incorporated into your work at any time if they are suitable. You really need to go into this with a strong beginning, solid middle and suitable ending. Dreams are also very natural, descriptive and wonderful for ideas, also a creative way to express your writings.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

If I'm working on something and get a block like that, I just walk away from it to clear my head and then go back to work on it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Printed comics on average are 24 pages...so you really got to set up your story in a way that nothing is wasted from scene to scene.

Ask yourself "What is this story about?" then head into "What would make that interesting?"

If your story was say about a guy heading toward some ancient ruin it'd be damned boring to have him start At his home...then up the path the ancient ruin...and end at the ruin. That's done to death in games and pretty cliche'.

A more interesting way would be to have the story begin in the middle of some sort of conflict ON the path (a battle, an argument with another character, the main character in deep thought, etc.)

Just take what you have as an idea..and dream up of way to present it in a way not normally done. That should get your beginning going and your ending already in mind.

Though to be honest your question was more along the lines of "How do I write a good story"...and that's a long topic in and of itself. Cause if you can't figure out a good beginning, middle, and end to a story...or in this case a comic....you only have an idea.

Anyone can have an idea...but very few can execute said idea well. If you can't do it yourself...find someone that can.
    On a different thread, I posted a picture of the main character. That was in the : A thread for art you made. Post

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Do you write everyday, habitually? I read a study done about writers that found "writer's block" was better circumvented when someone wrote on a daily basis (same time and sometimes the same place). I found that extraordinarily helpful for me when I tried it. Also, it can be related to other stress areas of life. I know I would go to work and about 10 AM would get inspired but would also be in my big work phase. I would then go home and then there would be nothing. So, finding rythym is always good, for getting past things like that.

Foxbird's Avatar Member

That works for me too. Even if what you're writing is completely unrelated to the piece that you happen to be working on, it keeps the writing muscle limber, and ideas will eventually come.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I know that when I suffer from writer's block, I'll go back re read everything up to that point. If I don't get a least a paragraph outta that, I'll either zone out to some good music and think carefully about the last three sentences I do have. Some times it works, sometimes i have to give up and go play video games or draw or something for a few days to get over it.
    Bre: you and I totatlly have the same problem. "ooh this is how it starts" and "this is how it's gonna end"...how do i get from there to here? LOL
    K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    this is funny because i have the exact opposite problem...i write stories and scripts from the beginning...and then i get excited about my ending idea and write that, and then i dont write the middle....

i guess the best thing to do is wait until you're in a creative mood to write...maybe watch a movie or listen to some songs that spark your creativity...
    I have a similar creative process. I write my beginning, climax, and end . . . but weaving together the middle is always painful. I am most inspired by deadline pressure, especially if I like the editor or especially want to be published in the particular venue.

I write less fiction since moving to Los Angeles though. Partly because LA people tend to either not read or at least not really talk about reading and partly because I think that stuff like online journaling and email uses up those energies.

I have written short stories before...I really cant help you though I have never experianced Writers Block...

I usually think out the story before hand and have a vague idea of how and where I want the story to go and how to get there....

I will even go as far as to write Really short little stories to examine the content before implementing it into the larger story...(I have about 3 notebooks full of these)....

Also I tend to drink wine or some other light alcohol while writing to keep myself loose and relaxed...It helps me come up with new plots and ideas...
    And when I am drunk I know its time to stop writing before some really messed up stuff gets put on paper...(Got about 2 notebooks full of those haha) Just relax and think about what you are trying to accomplish with the story and make a path to get there then implement that into writing.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

i tend to carry a notebook and pen around, & just write as i feel. then i read the stuff back, and half the time i cringe, but the other half of the time i have a ten minute cringe delay

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    i tend to carry a notebook and pen around, & just write as i feel. then i read the stuff back, and half the time i cringe, but the other half of the time i have a ten minute cringe delay
    That sounds terribly familiar....
    K

Take a break and work on something else or go on a bender or do something you've found inspirational in the past.

+ Reply to Thread