+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I thought we lived in The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default I thought we lived in The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

I thought we lived in America, but everytime i turn on the goddamn TV All I see is people speaking Spanish. I drive down the road and I see signs in Spanish.. I go to the ATM and I have to decide which language I want it in.. I call customer service and i have to listen the most stupid fucking messages about if you want the language in english please hold because you are a fucking moron. but if you speak spanish we will take your call and give you everything you want.

I stand in line at the grocery store and all i her is "Spanish language" this, and "middle-Eastern" language that, and "swahili" this and "fuck-knows-what" that...

I am not saying that people can't speak their native tongue, but JESUS CHRIST, if you live in a country for longer than 4 years.. LEARN THE GOD_DAMN LANGUAGE...

If I lived in another country IO would do my best to adapt to them not the other fucking way... Am I Over-reacting?

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

Default Re: I thought we lived in The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

i agree with this statement in all ways except for one technicality. AMERICA doesn't have an "OFFICIAL" language. I do personally believe we should have an official language. but since we don't then YES YOU ARE OVERREACTING.

especially when you take into account that within five years the largest legal enthnic majority will be hispanic. then it might be better that there isn't an official language b/c by the time the law would get passed the official language might become spanish.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It certainly is a shame that our educational system has been so depleted and undermined that our ability to fluently communicate with the people around us and those from neighboring nations is nearly non-existant for the common citizen. The citizens of many of the worlds nations can comfortably communicate across cultural bounds, but we've really isolated ourselves and I'm certain this will have a chilling effect on our future.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I know of few nations where a citizenry is so mono-lingual as the US. I do believe immigrants should learn the language. They simply will not have as many opportunities otherwise. Regardless, Americans lag behind in terms of language skills and second langauge fluency.

The degeneration of the educational system has helped to make immigration an absolute necessity. We do not turn out enough "skill" workers to meet the demands of the 21st Century. Obviously, these jobs are filled by immigrants who are fluent in english. I would not assume folks speaking their native language amongst themselves were not conversant in english. If they fail to learn english, it is ultimately their loss. Plenty of other immigrants will climb the ladder to success.

OEC

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Even though there have been many instances where the same circumstances have driven me to the point of wanting to kill someone. It still makes me ill to think that even the "english" speaking americans butcher their own language. Half the time, when I go downtown (Detroit) I cant even tell we are speaking the same language at all. The lazy speak that has been adopted by the ICD's (inner-city dwellers) makes me wanna vomit. To them, it's just a cool way of self expression, but they are really hurting themselves and their future by setting a bad example for the next generation. As well as playing up to the steriotype that they hate so much, but seem to go out of their way to keep alive.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Have there ever been a legal case, where someone sued, because they got hurt, because warning signs were not in Spanish, etc? I think that would be the legal precedent that would set it all over the edge. Right now, it's just about convenience. If you want to get hispanic customers, it makes sense to have some employees that speak spanish. If you want to sell stuff to hispanics, you put up a billboard in Spanish. That's just good business. But when the day comes that people *demand* that things be done in multiple languages, and it becomes a *right*, that is when we will run into problems. Because if you want to let people speak whatever language they want, then every government form or paperwork will need to be printed in every language there is in the world. Which would be really close to impossible, and very wasteful. So I agree that there should be an official language. And I think people should be forced to learn it. If I move to France, I am going to have to learn French. There is no way around it. Same if I move to Saudi Arabia, Africa, China, Russia, etc. The only English they have, is for the same reason they have things in Spanish here in the US. To sell us something. They'll speak english, or have signs in english, for stores, for restraunts, etc. But you won't find english in government buildings, employers, etc. And it's not much different here. I think it's fine if you want to keep your language, and you culture. But you should learn the official language as well.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

its quite a vicious little job circle the mexicans have

they come to america and learn enought english to be a bi-lingual and get jobs being translators for customer service in schools and everywhere and since there are more opportunities for spanish speakers more come and create more jobs for bi-lingual translation type positions

i've always thought that the smarter person will learn the other language(the irish,italians,french,germans) which is why us lazy americans are so stuck on our ways. metric system bah only metric things i'm familiar with are 2 liter bottles and 9mm ammunition but ask me how much i weigh or the temperature i got nothing for you

if i were in iceland i would starve ,but if i were in mexico i could buy cervesas and zapatos that should be enought to live on for a while till i find out what are the spanish words for tacos and burritos are

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

in oregon you have to take 1 year of spanish in order to graduate highschool, but you dont have to know english...I completely agree with you ...it's bullshit, i've lived here my whole life and I feel like im a minority

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

WOW. I thought my post would come under fire.. I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels this way.. and it also makes me very happy about one thing...

I love being a Blue-Blodder...

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

Try living in Manhattan, it is even WORSE!!! NO ONE speaks English. No one... People in stores, in cabs. No cab driver speaks a single word of English. And it is every language in the world EXCEPT English.

OK and I wouldn't mind it so much if every single girl Manhattan didn't wear a black North Face Down Jacket and blue jeans.

One day I was walking down the street, and I swear, it was like some kind of practical joke, identical girls walking down the street, all wearing the same thing....

And they were going to the Fashion Institute!! No wonder the fashions suck, look what the designers of tomorrow are wearing!

Manhattan streets are just drab drab drab no makeup, no speak English, just scary stuff...

I am the ONLY person in Manhattan that wears makeup. I swear, and I am the ONLY person in Manhattan that speaks English...

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    WOW. I thought my post would come under fire.. I am so glad that I am not the only one that feels this way.. and it also makes me very happy about one thing...

I love being a Blue-Blodder...

I dont think you'd come under fire for that here... but like forrest said, the problem is larger then just people coming to the United States and not knowing how to speak English. As the world's only 'superpower' you'd think we be able to reach out more neighboring countries... why cant more of us speak Spanish or Swahili? Maybe if we didnt take so much land from Mexico when this nation was founded, they'd be better at supporting themselves. As a 'superpower' why cant we do more to help Mexico become a country where people dont risk their lives every day to leave it?

Communication barriers are frustrating and I deal with them in my job every day. But I dont blame the guy who I talk to on the telephone who's English is hard to understand. I figure I would be dealing with Joe America down the street if actually more cost-effective and productive ...but I guess it isnt since he wants $40 / hour to help pay for his 2mpg SUV.

P I L O T's Avatar Senior Member

out numbered but never out gunned,..

i agree with you. being of hispanic ecniticity(sp?) i sure you could find that hard to believe.

canada is the same except it french and english everywhere.

The world belongs to he whom is alive to rule over it tomorrow. The past can be erased/forgotten.

This land is english speaking in majority because the money is written in english,.. but the land once belonged to buffulo and indians,..
    the world of tomorrow will speak what the people of tomorrow choose.

in the distance i hear fidel castro isn't doing well these days,...

personally i'm a sean lennon, an alexander the great, a "jesus christ",.. waiting for the reset button.

Shivvenfist's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    It certainly is a shame that our educational system has been so depleted and undermined that our ability to fluently communicate with the people around us and those from neighboring nations is nearly non-existant for the common citizen. The citizens of many of the worlds nations can comfortably communicate across cultural bounds, but we've really isolated ourselves and I'm certain this will have a chilling effect on our future.
    I agree 100%. In Germany, for example, many of those people speak 3 languages, english being a 3rd choice.

It is not the rest of the planet's fault we keep our kids in kindercare 4 years longer than we should.

Well said mate

oh and may i say this ,..

once i tryed getting serviced in spanish and i kept getting hung up on cause they just make it seem like the option is available,.. but it really isn't(sometimes)

Ok I gotta take a stand on this because, well if you really break down the complaint it is silly. We do live in the USA and one of the big things about the USA is supposed to be having choices.

You are complaining about too many choices. I enjoy the fact that if I choose to I can learn another language and never have to use english again. I always thought that the whole point of the USA was that we don't do things like everyone else. You want everyone to have to learn english, try england.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

Maybe those people are speaking other languages to their friends who speak that language so they can fully explain what they mean
    If you were in another country would you speak badly in the local language to your friend (who understands english) or in english so you can articulate the full meaning of what your saying.
    Most people dont like when strangers speak other languages because theyre paranoid theyre talking about you. What makes you so important that theyd be talking about you, unless theyre pointing and laughing, dont worry.
    the problem with places like the USA or Australia is they are really big countries and you dont need another language unlike europe where and a few hours drive you may need 3.
    Remember that if you live by the rule of come here and learn the language you should go learn the local native american one to not sound hypocritical.

If you have trouble learning spoken languages, learn deaf sign language. It comes in handy in loud places.

If you move to a country, you should learn the language(s) which its government/legal system and corporate sector use. In some places that's actually a requirement for citizenship...sadly, it's not in the US.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    I thought we lived in America, but everytime i turn on the goddamn TV All I see is people speaking Spanish. I drive down the road and I see signs in Spanish.. I go to the ATM and I have to decide which language I want it in.. I call customer service and i have to listen the most stupid fucking messages about if you want the language in english please hold because you are a fucking moron. but if you speak spanish we will take your call and give you everything you want.

I stand in line at the grocery store and all i her is "Spanish language" this, and "middle-Eastern" language that, and "swahili" this and "fuck-knows-what" that...

I am not saying that people can't speak their native tongue, but JESUS CHRIST, if you live in a country for longer than 4 years.. LEARN THE GOD_DAMN LANGUAGE...

If I lived in another country IO would do my best to adapt to them not the other fucking way... Am I Over-reacting?

You're overreacting. Embrace multiculturalism. It makes us more powerful.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

forrest makes a good point. i know many people from other countries who not only speak our language fluently but several others as well.

my 13 year old sister can already speak alot of spanish do to growing up around my other sister learning it and needing someone to practice with.. she is lucky...

i suck at other languages even when i spent serious effort to learn them.

The worst thing about multiculturalism is World Beat music. Ugh.. how dreadful is that stuff.

The second worst thing about it is when your trying to order a sandwich and your like 'go lite on the mayo' and they hose the thing down with the stuff. MAN, that bugs me! Then your forced with the situation of making a stink about it or paying for it and then eating a sandwich you now find disgusting. Both options suck. What do you do?

I also think it's wierd that no matter how loud I yell at a foreigner, they still don't understand me.

One love ya'll! Peace out!

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Try living in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    Try living in Canada
    Fuck Frenchie, spannish is worse

skintwisterman's Avatar Sunswallower

Try living in the UK here for English.

OUR language. Not yours. So there. :p

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geist42
    Fuck Frenchie, spannish is worse
    oh we got that too, along with way too many other languages and no encouragement to learn the language, or need

god bless the canadian mosaic

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbink
    It still makes me ill to think that even the "english" speaking americans butcher their own language. Half the time, when I go downtown (Detroit)
    Dude... You are from Detroit?
    Last edited by tinstar; 02-15-2006 at 05:57 PM. Reason: mess'd up

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

I thought we lived in America,
    speak for yourself, yankee running dog.

if you study the history of your nation you will discover that the national language was going to be German, for a period of time.

the best revenge for living in a clique of people who refuse to learn your language is to learn theirs, well enough to swear at them in. after this, youll find they suddenly become your friends. or they try to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    speak for yourself, yankee running dog.

if you study the history of your nation you will discover that the national language was going to be German, for a period of time.

the best revenge for living in a clique of people who refuse to learn your language is to learn theirs, well enough to swear at them in. after this, youll find they suddenly become your friends. or they try to kill you.

alright you made an assumtion,.. and we all know what happens when you assume things,.. he never said this was "his" country and just said " i thought we lived in it"(basically)

and I agree,.. people think its funny to hear foreigners say or use fowl language cause of their accents,..

like some austrulian dude saying "FAWKing SHIUT"

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you know if they changed the official language in the US to spanish next tuesday, that you wouldn't go ok, well that's the official language and I'm going to learn it! you'd be pissed off. You only want people to speak english because you allready know english. Just like they don't want to learn it, because they allreayd know a language that they understand and that most people they know porbably speak. It has absolutely nothing to do with civil custom, it's the fact that other people are saying shit that you don't understand and you think that people should accomidate you, not the other way around.

let's get to the bottom of this. I don't think that we should make everyone know every single language, but why not the top three or four world langauges? not every single person that comes to this country plans to stay here forever. if you went to france you wouldn't be able to master french in one day. and then people would be giving you shit about not knowing thier language. well actaully they wouldn't cuz they probably speak more then one.

i dont have a problem not understanding people, but I have lived in america for 23 years and I dont think that when I call a company IN AMERICA , they talk to ME in spanish, I guess it's a seniority issue, ive been here longer, I wont learn a new language so I can order a fucking pizza. If everything is bilingual, cool. But like okay..
    my son broke out into a rash two days ago, so I called his doctors office, it said press 9 for advice nurse, so I press nine. And it babbles off some shit in spanish and then hangs up on me. I ended up having to take him into the doctor to get someone to speak english to me. I think that is crap. I have no problem with people speaking their native language, to other people who speak it. Not to me.

It is always good business for American businesses to offer service in English but sometimes service in other languages may be good for business. This is just an issue of supply and demand. It is always helpful to speak the primary language of the country you are in but it is not always possible. If it were easy then everyone would be multilingual. Most Spanish-speakers in America are probably trying to learn English.

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    i dont have a problem not understanding people, but I have lived in america for 23 years and I dont think that when I call a company IN AMERICA , they talk to ME in spanish, I guess it's a seniority issue, ive been here longer, I wont learn a new language so I can order a fucking pizza. If everything is bilingual, cool. But like okay..
    my son broke out into a rash two days ago, so I called his doctors office, it said press 9 for advice nurse, so I press nine. And it babbles off some shit in spanish and then hangs up on me. I ended up having to take him into the doctor to get someone to speak english to me. I think that is crap. I have no problem with people speaking their native language, to other people who speak it. Not to me.
    So the menu system was using english, then suddenly switched to spanish? Sounds like either an error in the system or on the part of the user. Neither sounds like much of a basis for your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by funkatron
    So the menu system was using english, then suddenly switched to spanish? Sounds like either an error in the system or on the part of the user. Neither sounds like much of a basis for your argument.
    no, when I went in they said theyve had complaints because it is only in spanish. So it wasn't an error. that half of their phone system is only in spanish.

+ Reply to Thread