+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fight Club

Mother Superior

Default Fight Club

Computer techs turn to fisticuffs for fun
    Fight clubs are chance to be 'a superhero for a night'

Monday, May 29, 2006; Posted: 8:49 p.m. EDT (00:49 GMT)

MENLO PARK, California (AP) -- They may sport love handles and Ivy League degrees, but every two weeks, some Silicon Valley techies turn into vicious street brawlers in a real-life, underground fight club.

Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable -- from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans -- they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco.

Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.

"When you get beat down enough, it becomes a very un-macho thing," said Shiyin Siou, 34, a Santa Clara software engineer and three-year veteran of the clandestine fights. "But I don't need this to prove I'm macho -- I'm macho enough as it is."

Inspired by the 1999 film "Fight Club," starring Brad Pitt and Ed Norton, underground bare-knuckle brawling clubs have sprung up across the country as a way for desk jockeys and disgruntled youths to vent their frustrations and prove themselves.

"This is as close as you can get to a real fight, even though I've never been in one," the soft-spoken Siou said.

Despite his reserved demeanor, he daydreams about inflicting pain on an attacker. "I have fantasies about it," he said.

In recent months, police in New Jersey and Pennsylvania have broken up fight clubs involving teens and preteens who posted videos of their bloody battles online.

Earlier this month in Arlington, Texas, a high school student who didn't want to participate was beaten so badly that he suffered a brain hemorrhage and broken vertebrae. Six teenagers were arrested after DVDs of the fight appeared for sale online.

Adult groups are more likely to fly under the radar of authorities.

Menlo Park police hadn't heard about the local club and said they wouldn't be likely to take action because the fights are on private property between consenting adults. That could change if someone complains or is sent to a hospital, police said.

Gints Klimanis, a 37-year-old software engineer and martial arts instructor, started the invitation-only "Gentlemen's Fight Club" in Menlo Park in 2000 after his no-holds-barred sessions with a training partner grew to more than a dozen people. Most participants are men working in the high-tech industry.

"You get to be a superhero for a night," Klimanis said. "We have to go to work every day. We're constantly told to buy things we don't need, and just for a couple hours we have the freedom to do what we want to do."

Fencing and hockey masks are the only protective equipment used. Several fighters have suffered broken noses, ribs and fingers.

Men involved in fight clubs often carry bottled-up violent impulses learned in childhood from video games, cartoons and movies, said Michael Messner, a University of Southern California sociology and gender studies professor.

"Boys have these warrior fantasies picked up from popular culture, and schools sort of force that out of them," he said. In these fantasies, "The good guys always resort to violence, and they always get the glory and the women."

There is also a sadomasochistic thread running through underground fight clubs, said Michael Kimmel, a sociology professor at Stony Brook University in New York.

"Real-life fight clubs are the male version of the girls who cut themselves," he said. "All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty.

"They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real."

Five-year fight club veteran Dinesh Prasad, 32, a heavily tattooed Santa Clara engineer, said he once broke a rib in a match but never complained to his fellow combatants. He also recently skipped his first wedding anniversary to attend a fight rather than drive to Los Angeles, where his wife is finishing law school.

"I came here to get over my fear of fighting, and it's working," he said. "I'm much tougher than I was five years ago. I'm not at the level of these other guys, but if things were to get tough, I can get tough, too."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press

Default Re: Fight Club

see now ..im a lover not a fighter..
    did enuff of that crap in my days .. and now only if i have too .

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

its an interesting to see how the head docs look at it. while it is expected to generalize that it is the male form of cutting... i disagree with the: "Boys have these warrior fantasies picked up from popular culture, and schools sort of force that out of them," he said. In these fantasies, "The good guys always resort to violence, and they always get the glory and the women"

i think the idea of a warrior spirit that is deep seeded in men that has been cultivated from thousands of years of defending your land and settling your conflicts with hand to hand combat. and it is something that is fading away so quickly that it is being missed. especially in this day and age when you choose to join the military and if you don't join up then society teaches you that there is never a time when it is good to resort to a good old fashioned fist fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    He also recently skipped his first wedding anniversary to attend a fight rather than drive to Los Angeles, where his wife is finishing law school.
    What a chode...

He's rather go to a sausage party and fight with a bunch of pussies than spent time with his wife on their anniversary? What a fucking dumb-ass.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    What a chode...

He's rather go to a sausage party and fight with a bunch of pussies than spent time with his wife on their anniversary? What a fucking dumb-ass.

I can not agree with you more

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

here's you --->

<--- here's the point

^ What does that mean?

ya know its all fun and games till ya get your teeth knock out .and wind up in a coma ... or dead..

man kind has and always will be a violent race .warriors code try Bushido,
    even the Knights of old had a code ..
    there is a time for war,
    a time for peace ,
    and a time to stop the blood shed ..
    i did my time in the service and killing is not my bag .
    and there is no need to show a wanton disregard for life..

when ya get alittle older you mite realize this ..
    so have fun ,but when its you ,and your loved ones find that your not coming back ..think about how there going to miss you and all the things in life your going to miss..so if ya wanna play my balls r bigger than yours go ahead ..
    but when your seriously hurt some one .and you have no guilt. join the Marines you find even they have a code..

ok im done rantin ...

Mother Superior

They need to channel all that energy into something positive. Do something for their families,communities, possibly volunteer at a shelter.. grow the fuck up.

I like and participate in medieval padded weapons combat. It's full contact, and full speed, and sometimes people get hurt. However, we go out of our way to make sure that things are as safe as possible, because people on the whole are fragile.

When you are actually throwing punches, elbows, etc., it's surprisingly easy to seriously damage or even kill someone, especially if the physical conditioning and skillsets of the combatants are mismatched.

Little kids can fight and not destroy themselves utterly because they have no power. Similarly, adults in the UFC are trained and hardened, and fight with very specific rules. Even then, they often really mess one another up.

This is a foolish idea.

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    I like and participate in medieval padded weapons combat. It's full contact, and full speed, and sometimes people get hurt. However, we go out of our way to make sure that things are as safe as possible, because people on the whole are fragile.

When you are actually throwing punches, elbows, etc., it's surprisingly easy to seriously damage or even kill someone, especially if the physical conditioning and skillsets of the combatants are mismatched.

Little kids can fight and not destroy themselves utterly because they have no power. Similarly, adults in the UFC are trained and hardened, and fight with very specific rules. Even then, they often really mess one another up.

This is a foolish idea.

Ive meet peeps that do that ,and they say Yes there is a real danger of seriously hurtin the other guy ,hell even peeps that do the civil war reenactments have to KNOW WTF their doing or some thing can go wrong ,and peeps get hurt ..Or killed ,but to purpousely go to fight some one is allittle out of place to me ,sure some peeps been bullied all their life, Thats revenge their lookin for, and some self esteem..

im all for self defence .dont get me wrong ,as ive said ,i dont go lookin to hurt or possibly maiming some one.but i will defend my home ,and my self if some one IS TRYIN TO HURT ME ..
    Hence why im a lover not a fighter as the sayin goes .and i got friends that feel if you need to resort to Violence to solve your issuse's then stay away from me ...

Quote Originally Posted by inox

And yes i know how too fight ,and so do my freinds ,but we dont go lookin for it ,, i like my Karma were it is..

This is a foolish idea.

Ive meet peeps that do that ,and they say Yes there is a real danger of seriously hurtin the other guy ,hell even peeps that do the civil war reenactments have to KNOW WTF their doing or some thing can go wrong ,and peeps get hurt ..Or killed ,but to purpousely go to fight some one is allittle out of place to me ,sure some peeps been bullied all their life, Thats revenge their lookin for, and some self esteem..

im all for self defence .dont get me wrong ,as ive said ,i dont go lookin to hurt or possibly maiming some one.but i will defend my home ,and my self if some one IS TRYIN TO HURT ME ..
    Hence why im a lover not a fighter as the sayin goes .and i got friends that feel if you need to resort to Violence to solve your issuse's then stay away from me ...

doh how the hell that get there lol sorry Inox lol

that Karma statements mine lol..

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

and then there are people who are really good at fighting who just want to figure how to use excel

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Haha, software analyists and IT guys...

I would pay admission to watch those doughy geeks spastically trying to throw a spink-kick they saw Neo do. Man, talk about a bitch-slap fest.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

"Oh no Bob, I got the *ufgh* Memo, But I didn't *crack* think it mattered"

"Riiiiggggghhhhhtttt *crunch* . But they were the *argh* TPS reports."

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Anarkey
    man kind has and always will be a violent race
    and if man was meant to fly, god would have given him wings. space travel is utter bilge. cars weren't meant to travel more than 25 miles per hour, because if they go faster all the air gets sucked out the back.

what i'm trying to say here is that it's possible to change, even if that means working out the neural basis for aggression and genetically removing it. when two tribes come into conflict over some resource, they don't necessarily have to beat the living shit out of each other in order to own it complete.

in fact, with today's weapons, it's probably better they don't. today's weapons have a nasty lack of accuracy - a tendency to kill innocent bystanders.

ever since mankind has had language, the "noble warrior arts" have been associated with virility and manhood, because that's how it works with the lower animals - the superior male drives off his competitors and mates with the females in the herd.

i would really like to imagine that we can be better than that.

still, i'm listening to the teenaged hoons roaring up and down the street in their cars with no exhaust systems, frustrated because they have been told they should be masculine but they don't have any opportunity to demonstrate their masculinity because frankly no-one cares what a bunch of teenagers do. which is why they feel they have to go a little further each time, break some windows perhaps, act even more like assholes if there are any females around, etc.

few of them will live to an age where you appreciate that creation is a hundred times harder than destruction. it takes less than a second to smash a window, and over an hour to form and fit its replacement.

any fucking idiot can break a window.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club!!!
    and that's where they all go wrong.

+ Reply to Thread