+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bible Question...

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Default Bible Question...

I may be asking in the wrong place but maybe someone may know. Does the bible(s) in any shape way or form mention the other planets or space or other galaxies etc? No Scientology doesnt count....

Baby_Switchblade's Avatar Candy Perfume Girl

Default Re: Bible Question...

Umm... as a Catholic I should know, but I'm not a deep follower of the faith unfortunately. I don't think so, though.
    Unless they are mentioned around the "God created this and that on the _th day blah blah blah" phase, I don't think that the other planets are.
    As far as I know, it mentions to sun, moon and stars (oh, and the Earth!)... but I'm not even sure about that.

Just remember the Bible and the Big Bang Theory don't go hand in hand...

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Switchblade
    Just remember the Bible and the Big Bang Theory don't go hand in hand...
    Exactly, i just wanna know how something as important as everything that exists out there doesnt get mentioned, to my knowledge

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

because humans are the center of the universe and even if god fucked it up by forgetting to make the sun revolve around the earth, it doesn't change the fact that since there are no other planets with us on them, then they aren't worth mentioning.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I mentions only earth and the heavens and all that other gaga bullshit. Think about this could imagine how big that book would be if they left all the gospel books instead of shit ones, Like Mary Magdelin's.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

The only time i remeber hearing or reading anything about a planet or such is the story of the three wise men following the star of Jeruselum... But that is the only thing i can think of.

There is actually a lot of truths in the bible, people just can't see them. Unfortunately, since it was written by all different people in all different times, a lot of it was written by people of our culture, that just used it to tell stories justifying their domination, and later, to command laws for it, by speaking in their third person God.

it's really not that hard to understand, people still do it today. I'm Right, so what I do is right, and God wouldn't have me do something wrong, so therefor he must be the one telling me to do it in the first place.

And then some asses just threw the whole thing together, said, This is the spoken word of God, from begining to end, he told us to put it in this order, and that's how he wants you to read it and you should believe all of it, even if it doesn't make sense.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah yeah yeah we know all that, but does it mention the planets? dunno, try the concordance

Mother Superior

In ancient times Venus was often referred to as The Morning/Evening/Day Star.

In Isaiah 14:12 according the the N.R.S.V (new revised standard version) it refers to the King of Babylon as a day star : "How you are fallen from Heaven oh day star,son of Dawn".

Has also been worded in different versions of the bible as:"How you have fallen from Heaven oh Lucifer, son of the morning".

Revelation 2:28 N.R.S.V : " To the one who conquers I will also give the morning star."

Revelation 22:16 N.R.S.V : " I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star".

While lots can say 'oh, there's so much shit in the bible', etc, etc, I wonder how many times those have actually read it from front to back. I digress.

The planets are mentioned in a round-about way by talking about the stars. Back then, everything out there that twinkled was a star. Now we know better.

Count-Chocula's Avatar Junior Member

tom cruise is feeling left-out, recently

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I know that in Genesis, It says that god created the heavens and the earth. I can ask around but it might take a bit. I know I know someone who knows. I know that dinosaurs are mentioned in the book of job.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

no. it doesnt and a star is not a planet, it's a ball of burning gas.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    no. it doesnt and a star is not a planet, it's a ball of burning gas.
    I seem to remember saying "Back then, everything out there that twinkled was a star. Now we know better." So while we know NOW that there's a difference, I'm pretty sure then they didn't.

oh, and here i was hoping that this was going to be another game like 'word association', and this or that

True or False Noah was homosexually abused by his son Ham?

god doesn't know the difference between stars and planets, even though he's the one that made them.... yeah, that makes sense, I think i'm going to go devote my whole life to that and tell everyone how horrible they are if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    god doesn't know the difference between stars and planets, even though he's the one that made them.... yeah, that makes sense, I think i'm going to go devote my whole life to that and tell everyone how horrible they are if they don't.
    God wrote the bible?

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

God wrote the bible?
    yea it must have been one heck of a big quill

funny how jesus never wrote anything down

in really have my doubts about any of them 12 actually writing anything down either

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    oh, and here i was hoping that this was going to be another game like 'word association', and this or that

I think the term you should be looking for is r ape which is forced intercourse.

Homosexual is a preference for ones own sex.

Mother Superior

9:18 Genesis:He planted the first vineyard.

Apparently, he was drunk and passed out... not so unusual but the implication is there that Ham took advantage of his father sexually while he was under the influence, then Noah cursed him. Who knows if it really even occured or if he was just a composite of different men or a legend? It's all up to your interpretation.

true or false jesus cursed a barren olive tree?

wasn't it his daughters who got him drunk , noahs that is

and if you believe that god created everything then of course he wrote the bible cause it's just another part of his creation, same goes for our free will

let's kick his ass

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    wasn't it his daughters who got him drunk , noahs that is
    According to Genesis, it was his sons. We can work with it. It has so many different versions, it may have said his daughters somewhere but I never have read that.

Mother Superior

Mr. Karl,
    I think what you may be referring to is Lot, he had relations with his two daughters. Genesis 19:30.

true or false jesus cursed a barren olive tree?

false! actually it was a fig tree and he cursed it to wither and die for never having born fruit. This may have been some veiled reference to the temple in jerusalem (especially since the new church of christianity was referred to as a vine, and at times a mustard bush) but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Mr. Karl,
    I think what you may be referring to is Lot, he had relations with his two daughters. Genesis 19:30.
    wasn't Lot the guy with the problems...like open sores and a nasty wife, oh well, bible's one messed up story

Mother Superior

wasn't Lot the guy with the problems...like open sores and a nasty wife, oh well, bible's one messed up story
    I believe you are referring to Job. He had sores all over his body and his wife wanted him to curse God and die. Yes, the bible is quite a story.

yeah job, sorta like my job is my lot in life , I'll have to meditate on that one

Mother Superior

yeah job, sorta like my job is my lot in life , I'll have to meditate on that one
    I had to read that about 5 times to get it... I am still thinking on it.

it wasn't anything sexual or incestful with noah and ham.

what happened was ham walked into noah's tent and saw his father passed out drunk and naked. He left and told his brothers what he saw. His other brothers walked backwards into noah's tent, they looked down at the floor and picked up a blanket, they placed the blanket over the bed and left. When Noah heard about this he cursed ham and all of his decendants to be slaves to his brothers.

the story of job is that one day god and the devil were chilling out and god was gloating about how much everyone loves him, and the devil said, "the only reason people like you is because everything is going great for them. If they got screwed over, then they wouldn't like you so much." so they made a bet on it.

job was a welathy merchant that went to church every saturday. the devil sent a lightning bolt to burn down his house, then he killed his dog, he covered his body with puss ozzing sores, he made flies swarm all over him, his wife left him, his freinds all said "well, you must have done something to piss god off, so this is all your fault". after that he rolled around in the mud, (but to be fair, satan didn't make him do that, that was all him.)

He said, what's up with that god? why is all this bad stuff happening, I feel really bad, not because I'm mad at you for causing it, but because I am so insolent as to question your divine plan. just tell me why you are doing this? and god didn't say anything.

but after like three days he never cursed god, so god came down and told him what was happening and gave him a new house and a new wife and a whole bunch of gold, and he lived the good life.

the point of this story is to answer the question "why does god allow bad things to happen to good people?"

the story of job is understood by every christian, but I think that the story of noah and ham is more important to understanding the bible for the precise reason that it ISN'T understood by the people who believe in it.

Mother Superior

Morning Glory,
    It's all up to the person looking at it and reading it's interpretation of events. The bible is just one of those books you just will never really know the truth from the hype, in my opinion.

true M. I guess it's kind of hard to get when you look at it on a case by case basis. the books were written by all different people at all different times, and a lot of them were not even the works of their authors, but just telephoned versions of stories passed down. the way I try to make an objective anaylsis of it is to look at it as what it's trying to say as a whole, when collected into one form. Since it was collected into one form as the "authoritive definition"... whether that's the true intention or not, it was someone's intention, so you have to ask yourself, what were they trying to get accross by doing this? I think you can find that out if you look at the instituions that use it as thier basis for what they are saying and doing, and then look at specifically what it is that they are doing and trying to get done.

just to make it clealer I believe that what they are trying to get accross is a group of insecure white men having an outlet to explain thier domination of all things that aren't white men, and moreso to appease themselves of the guilt that they feel by the conscience or rational knoweldge that they are wrong. and most of all and absolutley hardest to accept is that thier insecurity stems from nowhere but themselves, which is what creates the neccesity to externalize it at all costs for the sake of self.

believe it or not, but anyone with even the most casual of understanding of the bible can see that it's the most racist misognyistic thing ever written.

so once again going back to the story of noah and ham, the overlaying plot without even having to dig into the freudian is that slavery is ok, and god is clearly cool with it. but a little closer to the point, in my eyes, is how it shows a deeper message about objectification. even though noah is the one that commits the shameful actions, it's ham that dishonors him. the actions of the brothers demonstrate that the moral of the story is that uncomfortable realities should be avoided at all costs, especially to the point of denying yourself of the awareness that they even exist. It's better to enslave an entire liniege and denounce our own son than it is for a respectible man of authority and power, a man of God, to be cast in a light that brings all that to nothing by showing that he's merely a flawed and imperfect human being.

+ Reply to Thread