+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does this make sense to you?

Mother Superior

Default Does this make sense to you?

I mean what's the problem here? That's the law.... walk the line. Would you rather have a miscarriage... this is a dumb bitch right here.
    Then if she was pregnant and lost it, she'd want to sue someone. A whole 15.00 a week for peace of mind.

Pro wrestler miffed by pregnancy tests

By KELLY WIESE, Associated Press Writer Fri Jun 9, 5:42 PM ET

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - A professional wrestler claimed Friday that the state is intruding on her privacy by requiring her to provide proof from her doctor that she is not pregnant within a week of every match.

Julie Utley also said pregnancy testing is too expensive for many women to continue participating in the sport. She estimated it would cost her at least $60 a month for tests.

The rule took effect in November and is part of state requirements for licensing contact sports such as professional boxing, wrestling and martial arts.

Utley, 19, said she has not wrestled since March, when she first became aware of the rule, because she refuses to submit to a pregnancy test.

The Missouri Office of Athletics held a hearing Friday but made no decision on whether to change the rule. The office licenses about 900 boxers and wrestlers, about 100 of them women.

Misti Preston, a spokeswoman for the Department of Economic Development, which oversees the office, said the change did not result from a particular incident. Preston said state officials just wanted to be in line with requirements in many other states.

Opponents said if the state's motive is legal protection, it could make wrestlers sign a waiver saying they will not sue if they get hurt.

"There is a lot of punishment in professional wrestling. I knew the risk. I knew I was going to get injured," Utley said. "That was my personal responsibility. This rule takes control away from me."

Tony Rothert, legal director for the
    American Civil Liberties Union of Eastern Missouri, called the rule "an impediment to equality."

In particular, he said, requiring the test to be performed by a doctor, rather than allowing women to use tests sold over the counter, and demanding results so often are troubling.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Default Re: Does this make sense to you?

you don't think she might have at least a vague idea as to whether she's pregnant or not? there are stories of women who didn't realise it until a lot later (hey there mmmcherry), but they at least would know if they'd been doing the horizontal bop at or around the specified time.

this sounds like the office of Athletics is trying to slide some more business the way of a doctor who does pregnancy tests.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Everybody's ridiculous in this case.

K

Granted I am not a girl or a wrestler so this doesn't seem like something I will have to deal with any time soon. Regardless this ruling is ass.

It is a grotesque invasion of privacy. Yes there is a threat of miscarriage, but that threat comes with a lot of jobs. Although many boxers in the low end live hand to mouth, and I assume it is the same for wrestlers, I doubt the money is the real issue here. Especially from a government that would merrily let these women go work in a coal mine or worse without a pregnancy test.

man we coulda had us a rasslin' fetus... dammit.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Everybody's ridiculous in this case.

K
    Damn straight.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

there are stories of women who didn't realise it until a lot later (hey there mmmcherry)
    hehe yeah i didnt know i was pregnant till i was 7 weeks... almost 2 months :S and in the first 3 months, a friend whos girlfriend was pregnant at the time told me that theres a 25% chance of random miscarriage within the first 3 months.
    but nobody needs to go and fuckin get in the ring when theyre pregnant anyways :S what the hell.

Mother Superior

My doctor was just telling me about a female patient at U of M that went to the Emergency room with severe abdominal cramps, she was having a baby. Never even knew she was pregnant. She apparently had no symptoms whatsoever.

yeah i saw a woman on trauma: life in the ER that happened to... she looked so shocked! but she went on the depo shot, then got pregnant pretty much right away... freaky :S she had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    My doctor was just telling me about a female patient at U of M that went to the Emergency room with severe abdominal cramps, she was having a baby. Never even knew she was pregnant. She apparently had no symptoms whatsoever.

and when the baby was born it punched out the doctor and won by a knockout!

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by sheramil
    and when the baby was born it punched out the doctor and won by a knockout!
    Actually, the Dr. who delivered the baby by Caesarean was just slapped by the newborn and stunned for a moment. He regained his composure quite quickly. Knocked out is a gross exaggeration and misrepresentation of the events that transpired.

Next pregnant women wont be allowed to drive as an accident may cause damage to the baby.

What do they do ? Hold a round table meeting for the strangest law of the month to introduce. I never realised the states worried about what other states said just the federal law.

Then again I'm just an ignorant foreingner.

coming up next on the Fox Sports network: pregnant women, 8 months gone, pressing their bellies together so their unborn children can punch each other out.

you don't think she might have at least a vague idea as to whether she's pregnant or not? there are stories of women who didn't realise it until a lot later
    I don't get it, how can you not have a clue you might be preggo. You get your period ever month right? Don't you pay attention to IF you get it or not? If your overdue say a week or so wouldn't you think hmmm maybe I should see if I'm pregnant? They even tell you when you first start taking birth control be it pills/shots/etc the first few months theres a bigger chance of it not being effective and you should use back up protection till you system has time to regulate to it.

coming up next on the Fox Sports network: pregnant women, 8 months gone, pressing their bellies together so their unborn children can punch each other out.
    Thats another thing, I"m sick of everyone treating pregnant women like they are suddenly some fragile little flowers. Women have been giving birth for well, forever, lol you think back in Ye Olde Days you got to sit around and rest. After two children both born natural and needing no drugs I say suck it up and stop being a bunch of wimps or keep your legs closed.

Quote Originally Posted by amberone
    I don't get it, how can you not have a clue you might be preggo. You get your period ever month right? Don't you pay attention to IF you get it or not? If your overdue say a week or so wouldn't you think hmmm maybe I should see if I'm pregnant? They even tell you when you first start taking birth control be it pills/shots/etc the first few months theres a bigger chance of it not being effective and you should use back up protection till you system has time to regulate to it.
    well on some kinds of birth control, like the depo shot, one of the side effects is that you might lose your period... thats why i went off it, cause it was weirding me out too much not getting it every month on time. then the last time i was on it (i went on it again only cause it was the best thing for me at the time, but i still hate the shot) and then took a months worth of pills after the shot wore off, and by then i was almost 2 months pregnant, and i had no idea until i went to the doctor to find out why i was feeling sick all the time. i didnt even realize i was late getting my period because i was so nautious all the time, i could hardly concentrate on anything else... then one day i was like... wait a minute... shouldnt i be finished my period by now?? omg...

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I can see both sides of the argument. The State wants to make sure the women are protected. The Wrestling Company want to make sure they aren't going to be sued. The Female Wrestlers have signed waivers saying they take any responsibility for their injuries, so if they are badly hurt, they know it's not anyone else's fault.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I'm not taking any side.

Mother Superior

[QUOTE=amberone]I don't get it, how can you not have a clue you might be preggo. You get your period ever month right? Don't you pay attention to IF you get it or not? If your overdue say a week or so wouldn't you think hmmm maybe I should see if I'm pregnant?[QUOTE]

Amberone,
    You can have a menstrual period when you are pregnant, a quite heavy one as well. So, it does not just stop for every woman. Periods should definitely stop by the third month aside for maybe some light spotting when you are pregnant. Of course that can and will vary from woman to woman. I am not sure how this woman could not know either though.

I'm sure theres exceptions to every rule. Personally I've never heard of anyone having a "heavy period" and being pregnant,unless they are having a miscarriage. Spotting yes, heavy no. I'm not a doctor but I'm sure its not the norm. There are also a great number of other signs of being pregnant. To me its just odd someone wouldn't notice something they should be paying attention to unless they don't care about getting pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcherry
    well on some kinds of birth control, like the depo shot, one of the side effects is that you might lose your period... thats why i went off it, cause it was weirding me out too much not getting it every month on time. then the last time i was on it (i went on it again only cause it was the best thing for me at the time, but i still hate the shot) and then took a months worth of pills after the shot wore off, and by then i was almost 2 months pregnant, and i had no idea until i went to the doctor to find out why i was feeling sick all the time. i didnt even realize i was late getting my period because i was so nautious all the time, i could hardly concentrate on anything else... then one day i was like... wait a minute... shouldnt i be finished my period by now?? omg...
    If it was a problem with the Depo why would you go on it again? And I know they tell you pills aren't considered "effective" for at least the first three months, Gyno tells you to use back up method just in case.

Mother Superior

Quote Originally Posted by amberone
    I'm sure theres exceptions to every rule. Personally I've never heard of anyone having a "heavy period" and being pregnant,unless they are having a miscarriage. Spotting yes, heavy no. I'm not a doctor but I'm sure its not the norm. There are also a great number of other signs of being pregnant. To me its just odd someone wouldn't notice something they should be paying attention to unless they don't care about getting pregnant.
    I'm not a Physician either but I know the facts of typical as well as atypical pregnancies. Just because you haven't ever heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't occur. These aren't miscarriages, in some women they may bleed in the first 2-3 months and be pregnant and the baby is fine, I never said it was the norm. Don't take my word for it, do some research if you have a curiousity about it.

+ Reply to Thread