+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homesickness

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Homesickness

I guess the first question would be: How do you define home?

Ive been in PA for 5 years. I can honestly say it was the best choice I ever made. Its opened up a whole new world. Regardless, my heart ... my friends ... my family are all in CA. Its the land I grew up on. It took 5 years before I even got seriously homesick. It was fun to visit out there, but its different now. I've applied to finish school out there and may well be back soon.

Do you believe in a geographical home?
    Do you long for it when you're not there?

I have every intention of living in foreign countries for parts of my law career. For now tho, I'm being called home. Its not nostalgia. Its not the memories. Its just home.

Has anyone ever got this feeling?

OEC

Default Re: Homesickness

I moved about 4 and abit yrs ago to a country town, about 100 thousand, and as long as I go back to my home town, which I still think of home, a couple of times a yr I'm ok.

What I really miss are great restaurants, pubs, nightclubs & ducted heating (especial as it is winter) and my book collection.

It just feels right when I go home like "this is my town, I grewup here" not still as a bit of a tourist after 4 yrs in my present house.

yeesh, what I wouldnt give to be almost anywhere than Here. Moving is a life experience to be savored. Now if only I could get out west, Id move to Vegas, and not look back.

I enjoyed moving. Has been a great 5 years save maybe 2 months tops. It's just a feeling of being drawn back somewhere. Hard to explain, as Ive never felt it before. I liked visiting home, but its different this time.

OEC

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

I htink homesickness is more or less being fond of people and places no longer aorund that youre used to. it's like me. i was born in memphis so tehcnically it's my home but i would never go back there and yet, i do miss apache junction even thought i hate it there too. i guess it's cus i was more used to being aound town in apache junction than memphis and I have family in arizona and fave haunts there too.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    I htink homesickness is more or less being fond of people and places no longer aorund that youre used to. it's like me. i was born in memphis so tehcnically it's my home but i would never go back there and yet, i do miss apache junction even thought i hate it there too. i guess it's cus i was more used to being aound town in apache junction than memphis and I have family in arizona and fave haunts there too.
    You make a lot of great points. I think, in general, you are right on the money. Do you ever feel, tho, that you have a mission someplace? That's what I'm feeling. Hopefully, it's not just the Holden Caulfield in me.

OEC

ya know its kinda funny ,i lived here most my life but the only place i felt at home was in Wash,?? but now with the health probs i got all that rain would surly kill me .i was there in Tacoma for 2 yrs in the U.S.A.F.,used to go to Seattle all the time and Portland ,Love to go to Mt Hood And Rainier,and seen Mt.St Hellens blow the second time and would still go back to live there..

But as i said i need to get too some place warm ,No not Florida .
    i use too feel the road was my home for about 15 yrs did alot of traveling . and some times would just say fyck this pack it all up <only what i felt i needed and i was off ,by the time i was 30 tho i said i need too slow down .
    and came back to Ohio were all my family is ,.

Home sick ,no i never was ,i love to travel when i can afford it .
    maybe some day i;ll get the money i need to make to big move out west some where were its warm and sunny all the time .
    thats the only place i feel >home sick for as of late ..

The only real time i ever was home sick was as a child ,see i was born in Nebrasska ,and every year we would go visit all the family out there .did this from the time i was like 2 r3 ,till i was 18, and i like to call it home .
    but as i got older i developed a taste for sayin fyck this i got to move find some work and live a little ,allways was the need for a diffrent seen so i traveled alot .did work all over the states and seen alot of this great country.

but alast my tiered ass is old and sick like all the gd time now so i slowed down and still lookin for the nice place to call home..
    Go west the voice said ,so im saving my money and when i do its the last time im moving ..

Quote Originally Posted by Anarkey
    ya know its kinda funny ,i lived here most my life but the only place i felt at home was in Wash,?? but now with the health probs i got all that rain would surly kill me .i was there in Tacoma for 2 yrs in the U.S.A.F.,used to go to Seattle all the time and Portland ,Love to go to Mt Hood And Rainier,and seen Mt.St Hellens blow the second time and would still go back to live there..

But as i said i need to get too some place warm ,No not Florida .
    i use too feel the road was my home for about 15 yrs did alot of traveling . and some times would just say fyck this pack it all up <only what i felt i needed and i was off ,by the time i was 30 tho i said i need too slow down .
    and came back to Ohio were all my family is ,.

Home sick ,no i never was ,i love to travel when i can afford it .
    maybe some day i;ll get the money i need to make to big move out west some where were its warm and sunny all the time .
    thats the only place i feel >home sick for as of late ..

The only real time i ever was home sick was as a child ,see i was born in Nebrasska ,and every year we would go visit all the family out there .did this from the time i was like 2 r3 ,till i was 18, and i like to call it home .
    but as i got older i developed a taste for sayin fyck this i got to move find some work and live a little ,allways was the need for a diffrent seen so i traveled alot .did work all over the states and seen alot of this great country.

but alast my tiered ass is old and sick like all the gd time now so i slowed down and still lookin for the nice place to call home..
    Go west the voice said ,so im saving my money and when i do its the last time im moving ..
    You might like Arizona. You sound like a friend of mine. total vagabound traveler. I definitely hear u on the last move. Traveling is great, moving sucks. Thanks for your perspective on it.

OEC

Ya and i will be close enuff to visit freinds out in Wash ,and Ore. hell i can drive that ..

+ Reply to Thread