+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia is Proposing to stop same sex marriages from being fed. recognised!

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Australia is Proposing to stop same sex marriages from being fed. recognised!

To my shock and amazement, I've recently found out that Australia is trying to stop same-sex marriages from being federally recognised. And I found a petition opposing this ammendment.

I just want to know what you guys think of this...

I dont know if posting the link to the petition is spamming or not.. so if one of the admins or experienced board members could tell me if it is or not, that'd be super!

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Default Re: Australia is Proposing to stop same sex marriages from being fed. recognised!

Isn't Australia the home of gay mardi gras? It doesn't shock me though. Some of those religious conservatives down there are pretty extreme. I honestly, am tired of others getting in the way of those who are attempting to build long lasting, loving relationships in any country or land. It just rips society up with intolerance if we decide that not getting our way is uncomfortable. We need greater maturity a greater union of people.
    Last edited by memorydream; 07-27-2004 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Rephrase that pays

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Australia is Proposing to stop same sex marriages from being fed. recognised!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    To my shock and amazement, I've recently found out that Australia is trying to stop same-sex marriages from being federally recognised. And I found a petition opposing this ammendment.

I just want to know what you guys think of this...

I dont know if posting the link to the petition is spamming or not.. so if one of the admins or experienced board members could tell me if it is or not, that'd be super!
    You have to reach 25 posts before you can post links, but, other than that, posting a newsworthy link along with intelligent discussion is totally welcome. Basically a post with just a link would be spam. Posting the same link in tons of threads would be spam. Posting links to commercial sites is of course something to be more careful about. For commercial sites, if it feels like spamming, it probably is. If you have any questions, please always feel free to ask.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Personally, the way I see it is this: If your not gay you shouldn't worry about whether or not gay people want to get married. If it's going to totally disrupt your life, corrupt your entire existance if those two blokes at the end of the street decide that want to formally declare their love for one another and reap all the rewards of a married couple, such as life insurance and power of attorny etc. then you have a right to stand against it. But if those two ladies who live in the next building walking down the aisle together has NO EFFECT ON YOUR LIFE WHAT-SO-EVER, then leave them in peace. They don't need your blessing, unless you are their mom. They don't need your approval. They get all of that from eachother. And don't give me that procreation argument. You really thing a guy who enjoys the company of men would marry a woman and have kids if he wasn't allowed to marry his boyfriend? Load of rubbish...

I tried to marry my girlfriend in SF this past year, but her mom wouldn't give the blessing, so we didn't take the five hr drive north to get our piece of paper. Didn't bother me none. Now if she had said she didn't want to marry me cause her neighbor might look down on her for it, I just might have slapped her. What her neighbor thinks shouldn't effect her decisions, unless they're about lawn ornaments. If the neighbor were to protest her having a car on blocks in the back yard, that I could understand her giving into and getting rid of the car. Who she sleeps with or is married to had no bearing what-so-ever on Mr. J's life, unless she's marrying his son (or daughter).

I rather forgot where I was going with this, I do hope my point got across...
    K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I have one friend who employs rather a lot of people and he objects (in the US) on the grounds that he thinks it will end up costing him more in insurance benefits for employees. I mean you don't get insurance just for being married; someone has to pay for it. I think insurance issues should not be tied to marriage at all, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    I have one friend who employs rather a lot of people and he objects (in the US) on the grounds that he thinks it will end up costing him more in insurance benefits for employees. I mean you don't get insurance just for being married; someone has to pay for it. I think insurance issues should not be tied to marriage at all, but . . .
    An opinion like an onion:

Excuses, excuses...being married only gives you benefits if your married AND have money! I think a lot of conservative voters are given little pamphlets on how to garote and corral the un-educated in a fear laden fervor!

Mother Superior

Why should only heterosexuals be given the right to be miserable?

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i think if you want to get married then you should be able to get married to whoever you want.

hey look! i have 25 posts

Here's the link to the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/527671569

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Why should only heterosexuals be given the right to be miserable?
    Exactly. Once they find out how much it sucks, then it will be illegal for everyone to get married!

My other favourite argument about why "the gays" shouldn't be allowed to get married is the "sanctity of marriage" and how letting "the gays" play with it will "soil" teh "sanctity".
    You know what I say? If the "sanctity" of marriage is what's so important, Outlaw Divorce. Divorce completley and totally undermines the sanctity of the marriage vow. You know, the "till death do us part"? "To love, honour and obey", that part? What about all the marriages that are loveless? What about abusive marrriages? Do those preserve any kind of "Sanctity"?
    I say if one human being decides that they want to declare openly before god and the world that they are in love with another human being and wish to spend the rest of their lives with that person, that is more pure and more sacred than anything else I've ever witnessed. I've known a few "gay" couples that have been togetehr for DECADES! How many "straight" marriages do you know that have lasted that long?
    (Sorry, I was just having this discussion.)
    K

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Since I'm not going to marry another guy, I don't acutally care. Plus, I'm living in Germany, my gov recently prohibited and confiscated the Manhunt game, eg. I'm used to censorship and fascism.

Yes, but censorship and fascism under the guise of democracy is intolerable.
    K

We have a democracy, too :|

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    Since I'm not going to marry another guy, I don't acutally care. Plus, I'm living in Germany, my gov recently prohibited and confiscated the Manhunt game, eg. I'm used to censorship and fascism.
    Be wary, just an opinion:

You know I like you. But, it's the everyday folks like us that keep democracy alive anywhere. I understand having human feelings about it. But, a lack of concern is a greater tool for the powers that be than anything else. One stands to be manipulated in the stance of indifference and to have the freedoms they treasure whittled to nothing. Not very long ago people were killed for not being in the white, male power block in this country. If I am called, I will die for such civilities, in any nation.

And I don't mean the military. To me it is us bringing our opinions to the leadership of our countries and asserting what must be done. It's not just liberty or death, it's "die standing or live on your knees." To fear that, is to be the living dead.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    My other favourite argument about why "the gays" shouldn't be allowed to get married is the "sanctity of marriage" and how letting "the gays" play with it will "soil" teh "sanctity".
    You know what I say? If the "sanctity" of marriage is what's so important, Outlaw Divorce. Divorce completley and totally undermines the sanctity of the marriage vow. You know, the "till death do us part"? "To love, honour and obey", that part? What about all the marriages that are loveless? What about abusive marrriages? Do those preserve any kind of "Sanctity"?
    I say if one human being decides that they want to declare openly before god and the world that they are in love with another human being and wish to spend the rest of their lives with that person, that is more pure and more sacred than anything else I've ever witnessed. I've known a few "gay" couples that have been togetehr for DECADES! How many "straight" marriages do you know that have lasted that long?
    (Sorry, I was just having this discussion.)
    K
    You don't have to be sorry. Brave words can be the bravest deeds and I support you in your stance.

Thanx memory. This just happens to be another one of those topics that makes my blood boil, almost to the point of wanting to hit some one. But every one is entitled to their opinion, I guess, and Violence doesn't help make my point. Though there was a time that "Might equals Right" was the way of the world. Whoever was still standing at the end of the fight, was right. Ahh the good ol' days with heads on pikes...
    Any hoo, (sorry, I was sidtracked), THe point I'm trying to make is that if it doesn't effect you ignore it, a la postcoital. He says that since he's not going to marry another guy, he really doesn't care either way. I would like to eventually marry Lili, but I don't think it's gonna happen, not while I'm youn enough to enjoy it anyway. I just think people should be allowed to live their own lives without some nosey old coot getting their nose in the way.
    K

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

THe point I'm trying to make is that if it doesn't effect you ignore it
    Actually I'm heterosexual and no, gay marriage doesn't affect me, but I completely SUPPORT gay marriage. Marriage, which is IMO personal, shouldn't be the business of government or otherwise. It shouldn't be the neighbors' business, the stranger down the street's business. If you're not gay why stick your nose into others' lives and disrupt their lifestyle? Why can't certain people just leave others at peace? In other words, I completely agree with Keiko.

Heh. I recently got ahold of the Documents containing the ammendmant section, PM if you want to see it...

Another act that sucks is a variation of the Patriot Act, but that is mainly in america.

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Another act that sucks is a variation of the Patriot Act, but that is mainly in america.
    Don't get me started!
    K

Don't get me started!
    K
    Did you know that they are also trying to get a motion passed to make Tracking chip implants mandatory, so they can know where you are no matter what?

I thought I was over the top when i suggested having your name and blood type tattooed on the bottom of your left foot as soon as you hit the age of 6. They're trying to pan off the "tracking chip" (have been for nearly a decade now) as a way to identify your body and be able to pull your medical records and etc. in times of emergency. Don't buy it though. But I don't want to get side tracked. This thread is about Gay Marraige and why straight people banning it on the grounds of "sanctity" and what not is a load of hooey.
    K

I think people should be able to get married, regardless of Gender.

I second both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by memorydream
    Be wary, just an opinion:

You know I like you. But, it's the everyday folks like us that keep democracy alive anywhere. I understand having human feelings about it. But, a lack of concern is a greater tool for the powers that be than anything else. One stands to be manipulated in the stance of indifference and to have the freedoms they treasure whittled to nothing. Not very long ago people were killed for not being in the white, male power block in this country. If I am called, I will die for such civilities, in any nation.

And I don't mean the military. To me it is us bringing our opinions to the leadership of our countries and asserting what must be done. It's not just liberty or death, it's "die standing or live on your knees." To fear that, is to be the living dead.
    Hey, I actually got up at 10 on a saturday morning, to go to the election ,)
    Anyway, there's one thing I've learned: you can't change stuff without drastic measures. Drastic measures although will get you into prison, make you a martyr to some, a criminal to others. I don't want to be either, I just want to be left alone, all those people out there didn't help me once in my whole life, so I see no need to support them.

Btw, on the Woodstage 2001 or 2002 festival, some gay moron tried to fuck me, while I was unconsious from a heavy vodka overdose. The only reason I still have my anal virginity is, that a pal kicked him into the face.

Anyway, there's one thing I've learned: you can't change stuff without drastic measures. Drastic measures although will get you into prison, make you a martyr to some, a criminal to others. I don't want to be either, I just want to be left alone, all those people out there didn't help me once in my whole life, so I see no need to support them.

Btw, on the Woodstage 2001 or 2002 festival, some gay moron tried to fuck me, while I was unconsious from a heavy vodka overdose. The only reason I still have my anal virginity is, that a pal kicked him into the face.
    I've been *****, no sympathy, sorry...

You can be better than any old bigot and you don't have to have such a victim-poor-me-attitude. Anyways, it'll get you ***** again, or paranoid for the rest of your life.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

<snip>This thread is about Gay Marraige and why straight people banning it on the grounds of "sanctity" and what not is a load of hooey.
    K
    A load of hooey indeed. In the United States y'all have laws and ammendments dealing specifically with the separation of church and state, do you not? If that is the case, then who is it that is making these decisions regarding what gets separated, and what does not? Because that is obviously occurring.

Once upon a time, there was a powerful lobby that decided that a woman's body was her own property and she could make her own choices regarding her health. The lobby that brought about Roe v. Wade was so large and vocal, that the political fatcats decided it was time to invoke whatever laws and ammendments supported the separation of church and state. They saw a huge voting block that they could please; thereby garnering their votes.

It could work that way with gay marriage, as well. Those that wallow in your country's political trough just need to see that it is necessary to the survival of their careers to make this happen. Once the pro side of things becomes large and vocal enough, it will simply be a done deal.

All we cynics and realists know it's true. Once TPTB see that it's in their best interests to give gays and lesbians the right to legal matrimony - they'll just give it. And then spend the next couple of years clapping themselves on the back and calling themselves "mavericks" and "pioneers".

So vote. Lobby. Be vocal. It will eventually work.

~Histrionica~

Quote Originally Posted by Histrionica
    A load of hooey indeed. In the United States y'all have laws and ammendments dealing specifically with the separation of church and state, do you not? If that is the case, then who is it that is making these decisions regarding what gets separated, and what does not? Because that is obviously occurring.

Once upon a time, there was a powerful lobby that decided that a woman's body was her own property and she could make her own choices regarding her health. The lobby that brought about Roe v. Wade was so large and vocal, that the political fatcats decided it was time to invoke whatever laws and ammendments supported the separation of church and state. They saw a huge voting block that they could please; thereby garnering their votes.

It could work that way with gay marriage, as well. Those that wallow in your country's political trough just need to see that it is necessary to the survival of their careers to make this happen. Once the pro side of things becomes large and vocal enough, it will simply be a done deal.

All we cynics and realists know it's true. Once TPTB see that it's in their best interests to give gays and lesbians the right to legal matrimony - they'll just give it. And then spend the next couple of years clapping themselves on the back and calling themselves "mavericks" and "pioneers".

So vote. Lobby. Be vocal. It will eventually work.

~Histrionica~
    Actually they're trying to pass a vote to overturn the Row v Wade case. Seperation of "curch and state" is a lie. We have "Faith Based Initiatives" on the White House pay roll.
    The "Powers That Be" in this country are so dead set against people of the same sex being in love with eachother that two grown, mentally stable women can't adopt a kid who has no home and no family and no love and give him all these things, because they might corrupt him by letting him live in a house with two mommies. They're afraid that the kid will "get teased" for comming from a home with two moms. Don't they think he'll get teased for being an orphan whom nobody loves? I say the government doesn't belong in our bedrooms. The government should not dictate to us who we should and shouldn't love or care for in any way.

PS. Postcoital - instead of dwelling on the fact you were nearly *****, think about the fact that you have a best friend who would protecdt you in that kind of a situation. Or even take it as a compliment that you have a really sweet looking ass....just a thought....
    K

Actually they're trying to pass a vote to overturn the Row v Wade case. Seperation of "curch and state" is a lie. We have "Faith Based Initiatives" on the White House pay roll.
    The "Powers That Be" in this country are so dead set against people of the same sex being in love with eachother that two grown, mentally stable women can't adopt a kid who has no home and no family and no love and give him all these things, because they might corrupt him by letting him live in a house with two mommies. They're afraid that the kid will "get teased" for comming from a home with two moms. Don't they think he'll get teased for being an orphan whom nobody loves? I say the government doesn't belong in our bedrooms. The government should not dictate to us who we should and shouldn't love or care for in any way.

PS. Postcoital - instead of dwelling on the fact you were nearly *****, think about the fact that you have a best friend who would protecdt you in that kind of a situation. Or even take it as a compliment that you have a really sweet looking ass....just a thought....
    K
    What are the details of that trial?

Btw, I think the goverment should not mettle in people's affairs, unless the people ask them to!

Yeah K, i heard about the legal attacks that have been launched against Roe v. Wade. I also agree that separation of church and state is a lie. Though there are certain legalities that make it wrong to mix the 2, the overwhelming majority of corrupted filth y'all have in political power guarantee that the rights of the minority will always be in jeopardy. And it also means that the American people will need to fight long and hard to afford further rights to the few that have long been enjoyed by the many.

~Histrionica~

Seperation of church and state has been a lie. the main type of stuff closest to that that they have done is that they dont make you pray in public schools as often as they used to.

Btw, the stuff where you have to say the pledge of alliegence or get detention is complete bs. They should try to make america better so that you want to say it, instead of forcing you, with the threat of supension or detention.

The Pledge of Allegiance or dentention thing is only in Florida schools. The Bible thumpers down there made it up. Damned Footwashers!
    K

On the basis of Sep. of Church and State, and I being in school.... gah...
    Its stand up at least or get detention. And even just STANDING is frowned upon. The Pledge of Allegiance is a bunch of BS in my opinion. So *WARNING IDIOTIC STUFF WILL BE POSTED* I like to sometimes replace the word "god" with Skittles, or Chips. *shrug* im just stupid... :P

I messed around with the pledge also.

lol good times...

WOOT! That petition has passed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    WOOT! That petition has passed!!!
    What does that mean, exactly? The amendment has been quashed?

Sorry, brain fuzzy this morning.

~Histrionica~

Sweet!

+ Reply to Thread