+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Racist Slur may cost Italy the World Cup

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Racist Slur may cost Italy the World Cup

This is regarding the incident in which France's Zidane headbutted an Italian Player. Interpreters say the Italian called Zidane the "son of a terrorist whore" Zidane is Algerian.
    From Bratyslava:

"...regarding the substance of the argument, Zidane's agent Alain Migliaccio said, "[Zidane] told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what." He also told reporters that Zidane planned to speak out about the incident."

Several newspapers have had lipreaders try to interpret what Materazzi said, though they have come up with different interpretations. Broad consensus of these analyses is that Materazzi spoke in Italian, a language understood by Zidane, and that he gravely insulted Zidane.

According to Milan based La Gazzetta dello Sport, Materazzi admitted that he insulted Zidane, but recounted the incident as follows: "I held his shirt for a few seconds only, then he turned to me and talked to me, jeering. He looked at me with a huge arrogance and said: 'If you really want my shirt, I'll give it to you afterwards'. I replied with an insult, that's true." He stressed that the insults were "the type [...] that we've heard before so many times on the pitch, and sometimes we don't even notice it". Responding to reports that he had called Zidane a "dirty terrorist" or "son of a terrorist whore", Materazzi insisted that the insult was not racist in nature, and that he did not even know what a terrorist was. He also rejected claims that he had insulted Zidane's mother: "I certainly didn't talk about Zidane's mother because to me the mother is sacred". Zidane's mother Malika had been taken ill to hospital hours before the World Cup final."

HAHAH HERE COMES THE IMPORTANT PART:

"On July 11, 2006, FIFA declared its intent to officially investigate the incident. It has been speculated in the German press, that the non-discrimination provision which FIFA adopted for its disciplinary code on 28 March 2006 may lead to the FIFA Executive Committee imposing harsh sanctions on Materazzi and/or the Italian side, up to and including disallowing Italy's team the World Cup victory if Materazzi is found to have insulted Zidane with racial slurs."

Basically if Materazzi said anything bad about Zidane being an Algerian, ITALY'S WORLD CUP VICTORY BECOMES NONEXISTANT!

Default Re: Racist Slur may cost Italy the World Cup

My favorite is "I don't know what a terrorist is" haha. Italian goalkeeper Buffon also allegedly refuses to play another game with Materazzi on the field. I am undecided whether it should come to stripping Italy of the title. Italy showed a lot of bad sportsmanship throughout the tournament. Zidane's mother is gravely ill. It will probably be debated for years to come. It is a sad day for the sport of futbol (soccer)

OEC

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Nobody headbutts another man in the chest In the most important game in the WORLD in front of millions and millions of people for NO GOOD REASON.

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    Nobody headbutts another man in the chest In the most important game in the WORLD in front of millions and millions of people for NO GOOD REASON.
    If my mother were gravely ill and the guy said that, I'd go well beyond a headbutt. I'm surprised Zidane didn't crack his skull open. I'm inclined to say Italy should be stripped of the title, but I'm not sure it sets a good precedent.

OEC

haha his name is buffon... thats close enough to bufoon. or baboon! your mother was a baboon! yea.. sheesh..we get titles stripped away here for cheating and steriod use..they get titles stripped for yo momma jokes.

whats wrong with this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    haha his name is buffon... thats close enough to bufoon. or baboon! your mother was a baboon! yea.. sheesh..we get titles stripped away here for cheating and steriod use..they get titles stripped for yo momma jokes.

whats wrong with this picture.
    I love my country, but we have a garbage dominant culture. I don't think the world cup should be measured by our low standards.

OEC

whatcha mean we have garbage dominant culture? You saying that all out brawls in stadiums because someone hawked a loogi on a player and threw a beer cup onto the field? thats the love of the game right there! (sarcasm btw)

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I dont think they should be stripped of the title because of one player, that in my opinion is taking it a bit to far, they should however suspend the player in question for a very long time.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I agree with kid. the victory belongs to the whole team, not just the actions of a single player, so any penalties commited by a player should be against him, not the team. I disagree with comment that italy displayed bad sportsmanship. I saw most of thier games and they may ahve got a bit rough at times, but so did everyone else. that's the nature of the game. it's very emotionally charged. I think that fifa's new rules are way too strict, and you know that they've been cracking down on players that did not deserve it in many instances. all the teams were great, that's why the played in the world cup, it being especially close in the finals. games were one by last minute chances and if given a rematch, it could have been any of those teams that took home the victory. the team that I was rooting for didn't win, and everyone will dispute who the best team is until the end of the world, but I'm not going to say that Italy didn't win it fair and that they don't deserve it.

No matter what Materazzi said to Zidane, Zidane is the one who lost his cool. It's him who should be chastised. Now the race card gets played and everybody says he was justified in his actions? That's bullshit. There is a ton of trash talking on the pitch, it's just what happens.

Personally I'm glad Zidane lost his cool. It probably cost France the cup.

VIVA ITALIA!

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

man! who'd of thought a little competitive trash talking would end in a serious ass kicking.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

i dont see any racial slur unless the people claiming a racial slur assumes that all terrorists are of the same race and that infact is way more racist

I'm sticking with my main man Zidane. They should have let Zidane and Materazzi face off in a penalty kick showdown. THAT would have been amazing. Will they take the cup away? haha nah. I'm with my brother Zidane on this, tho. In an article his mother asked for "Materazzi's balls on a platter". You go!

OEC

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Except that Zidane (the punk) won't say what the Italian player actually said which to me says that the the original comment that was voiced , something about "if you want to pull my shirt off wait till after the game" insinuations of homosexuality, sounds more and more likely.

Zidane has changed his story so many times, something said about his heritage, calling his mother a terrorist, something about his sister etc etc. , that in all reality I think he really just wanted to be the topic of converstation for the next week or two despite the fact that Italy smoked the French in the actual game. Remember we were watching a soccer match, not a bitch fest between a shit talking Italian and a French punk.

K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Except that Zidane (the punk) won't say what the Italian player actually said which to me says that the the original comment that was voiced , something about "if you want to pull my shirt off wait till after the game" insinuations of homosexuality, sounds more and more likely.

Zidane has changed his story so many times, something said about his heritage, calling his mother a terrorist, something about his sister etc etc. , that in all reality I think he really just wanted to be the topic of converstation for the next week or two despite the fact that Italy smoked the French in the actual game. Remember we were watching a soccer match, not a bitch fest between a shit talking Italian and a French punk.

K
    Translators have identified the player as Materazzi and the comment (they said it has a racial connotation also). Materazzi admitted to talking shit then claimed not to know what a "terrorist" was haha.The game was a 1-1 tie, due in part to France having 10 men on the field after Zidane was red carded (they won on penalty kick which noone considers a smoking.) Italy is certainly free to enjoy the context of their victory

OEC

race is actually a pretty complex subject over in europe. applying american standards, and the connotations, and context it has here doesn't quite fit. there have been some quite serious incidents of attacks on non european players by fans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    race is actually a pretty complex subject over in europe. applying american standards, and the connotations, and context it has here doesn't quite fit. there have been some quite serious incidents of attacks on non european players by fans, etc.
    I guess more accurate would be that, according to most translators, it had an anti-arab connotation. Having played futbol for over decade (and watched hundreds of matches), I can say that Materazzi's behavior was beyond disgraceful. I believe that while Italy left the building with a trophy, Zinedine Zidane left as the true champion. Materazzi's assertion that he does not know what a terrorist is denies him any credibility.

I salute the career of Zinedine Zidane. While I love the Italian people, I do not believe they left Germany with any semblance of national dignity, honor, or victory in its true sense. I will pity them for 4 years.

OEC

I personally think that the italians should be stripped of their title. They knew the FIFA rules or should have and so should title.

I still have not recovered from the Italian's penalty they recieved against Australians.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker
    I personally think that the italians should be stripped of their title. They knew the FIFA rules or should have and so should title.

I still have not recovered from the Italian's penalty they recieved against Australians.
    The Australians were robbed. There was no penalty on that play. I don't know what the ref was looking at beyond Totti's histrionics. No analyst saw anything.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I guess more accurate would be that, according to most translators, it had an anti-arab connotation. Having played futbol for over decade (and watched hundreds of matches), I can say that Materazzi's behavior was beyond disgraceful. I believe that while Italy left the building with a trophy, Zinedine Zidane left as the true champion. Materazzi's assertion that he does not know what a terrorist is denies him any credibility.

I salute the career of Zinedine Zidane. While I love the Italian people, I do not believe they left Germany with any semblance of national dignity, honor, or victory in its true sense. I will pity them for 4 years.

OEC
    HA HA HA!, Your crazy! You can't possibly be serious. This is the most biased post of your I think I've ever read.

Your tops in my book, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat

OEC
    so wait trash talking is wrong, but its ok to headbut another player?

If he didn't like what the guy said to him, he should have taken it to a ref. Losing your cool and headbutting someone is unprofessional and weak...it's giving into your petty anger at the expense of what your teammates have worked so hard for.

Also, I don't think calling someone a "dirty terrorist son of a whore" or whatever should result in the loss of a championship title for an entire team. Is the world so goddamn sensitive these days?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

it's a psychological defense. fuckin old school as hell too.
    1.find the weakest link on the opposing team.(this does not always mean worse player but sometimes means shortest tempered)
    2.talk shit to him
    3.let em swing first.

anyone remember a few years back when the nba finals was orlando versus the bulls and rodman made shaq tech out over trash talking?

same thing. if you know you cant outplay an opponent or you wanna make sure you win..............trash talk is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    so wait trash talking is wrong, but its ok to headbut another player?
    No. Zidane fucked up. As futbol has no replays etc, there was no real recourse. It is just the shittiest "victory" I've ever seen.
    Done ranting tho haha.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    If he didn't like what the guy said to him, he should have taken it to a ref. Losing your cool and headbutting someone is unprofessional and weak...it's giving into your petty anger at the expense of what your teammates have worked so hard for.

Also, I don't think calling someone a "dirty terrorist son of a whore" or whatever should result in the loss of a championship title for an entire team. Is the world so goddamn sensitive these days?
    There is no just result at this point.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    HA HA HA!, Your crazy! You can't possibly be serious. This is the most biased post of your I think I've ever read.

Your tops in my book, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    ZIDANE!

OEC

+ Reply to Thread