+ Reply to Thread

Thread: crowley vs. lavey

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default crowley vs. lavey

okay, so I know there is atleast two major parties in the satanic community, the crowleyan and laveyan but what i don;'t really know too much of are the exact differences in the two. anyone got any info?

Default Re: crowley vs. lavey

well to begin with crowely wasn't a satanist.

he created his own brand of 'religiosity' out of the wreckage of a magical order called the golden dawn, theosophy, and his own drug addeled imaginings...er, um... 'holy visions'. he called this thing 'thelema'. it is decidedly ANTIchristian, but it isn't 'satanic'. crowely called himself 'the great beast 666' because it was a great way to piss people off, and get laid in victorian england.

anton lavey wasn't really a satanist either. in so far as trying to copyright the term 'satanist', while vocerficously denying the actual exisitence of a being named 'satan' disqualifies you from using the term.... in other words he didn't really believe there was a satan, y'know, because that'd make you stoopid. laveyean 'satanism' has been called 'ritual objectivism' after ayn rand's flaccid little 'philosophy'. the similarities are striking.

anyway, hope that confuses the subject for you.

and one last thing....

HAIL SATAN!!!!!!!

Mother Superior

To me, there isn't much of a comparison. I respect Crowley more. I did the Church of Satan thing since in 1993, was a Grotto Master for them in 1995/1996, then after LaVey died, there was a major shift. I decided to go solo and resign. I respect Crowley for several reasons but mainly for being such a unique individual. I see more of myself in Crowley than LaVey. It takes a lot of reading, studying and researching and finding what you are comfortable with. I call myself an Occultist more than anything. What type of information were you looking for? Crowley and LaVey's writings are all over the Internet I am sure.

The Crowley Thoth tarot deck is deep. He seems more like a true mystic than LeVay.

Most importantly Ozzy didn't write any songs about LaVey.

the_plague's Avatar Satanic Guitar

I would suggest visiting www.churchofsatan.com to get our view on things. I'm not sure if there is an "official" crowley website. There are big differences between the two which will become more clear as you research your subject.

Hail!

the offical crowleyites would be the OTO. l. ron hubbard was a fan.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

The best ever deathmetal band out of Denton never settled on a name. But the top three contenders after weeks of debate were Satan's Fingers, and The Killers, and The Hospital Bombers...

haha. Sorry. but that just made me think of that.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by the_plague
    I would suggest visiting www.churchofsatan.com to get our view on things. I'm not sure if there is an "official" crowley website. There are big differences between the two which will become more clear as you research your subject.

Hail!
    im aware of some of the laveyan stuff, I sued to own his books the satanic bible and the satanic witch but was not so clear on crowley more or less and ave ave too you too.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

What a question.....

it is a tough question...

...i mean crowley was a mountaineer, as well as a yogi, so he had to be in pretty good shape...

...on the otherhand lavey was a carny, so you know he'd fight dirty... lavey also claims to have been a liontamer, but i don't really buy that one.

tough quetion.

i'm goin' with weird 'al' crowley, i think he'd kick lavey's teeth in.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    The best ever deathmetal band out of Denton never settled on a name. But the top three contenders after weeks of debate were Satan's Fingers, and The Killers, and The Hospital Bombers...

haha. Sorry. but that just made me think of that.
    The Killers is already taken, I believe.

Put the two in a room together and I'd put a hundred on Lavey licking Crowleys boots by the end of it

YoungSoulRebel's Avatar Dexys Midnight Blunder

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Most importantly Ozzy didn't write any songs about LaVey.
    Word.

To yo' mutha, and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel
    Word.

To yo' mutha, and stuff.
    PS: No offense, but LaVey was a dork, but I mean that in a nice way, though; unless you put much clout in the fact that I'll expand on that and point out he was dorkier than I am.

I hope to gawd he realised how goofy that hood with the horns looked. If he did, more power to him.

A lot LaVey's essays show a real sharp sense of humour, which I totally respect, but The Satanic Bible is basically Objectivism For Bored "Goth" Kids Who Want To Freak Out Their Parents/Naighbours With Their Spoooooky Altars & Rituals & Shit. Plus there's the added bonus that, unlike Rand, LaVey knew well enough to NOT define a philosophy in a poorly-written novel featuring melodramatic wooden characatures of bored stereotypes.

Plus, when reading Rand (The Fountainhead, specifically) in high-school for a class, I got this freak bladder infection and started pissing blood. When I stopped reading it, I stopped pissing blood. Ergo, Ayn Rand made me piss blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    The Killers is already taken, I believe.
    It is taken already, yes.

vulfgrl's Avatar Tainted

Totally different.
    I like LaVey's writings. He was funny. I agree with some of the things he wrote, though I'm not going to sit in a black room and call up Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel
    Plus, when reading Rand (The Fountainhead, specifically) in high-school for a class, I got this freak bladder infection and started pissing blood. When I stopped reading it, I stopped pissing blood. Ergo, Ayn Rand made me piss blood.
    You got to read Ayn rand in school, some people have all the luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    You got to read Ayn rand in school, some people have all the luck
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

You're funny!

actualy I've read that and atlas shrugged about a dozen times

Kidneys of steel!!!! hahahahaha

+ Reply to Thread