+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Note to self: Don't cook bacon angry.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Note to self: Don't cook bacon angry.

My arm stings.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Note to self: Don't cook bacon angry.

oddly enough mine does too...

i put a fist through a window today,wearing gloves....they weren't long enough,hah...

been an angry kinda day,thats fo serious...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    My arm stings.
    you should try it without a shirt...that's pain

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

put some butter on it if you burned it. grease burns suck.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

butter? they got this burn spray with anesthetic that works real good, can't remember what the name is but it works

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

deep fryer + battered chicken + madness = burnt kate. so i guess i know your pain.

ugh.

i hate bacon.

i once had to fry up like 15lbs. a day for a dinner i work in.

we'd lay it out on cookie sheets covered in aluminum foil, and put it in the broiler, and when you pulled it out the burning hot liquid grease would be an inch deep, and slosh around as you had to carefully pour it into the grease trap.

if any got on you, it would continue to burn as it adhered to your skin.

no funs.

why were you angry Amelia?

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    put some butter on it if you burned it. grease burns suck.
    I put I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on it and iced it. It's like the diet version.

Of course, now I have track marks from my bloodwork and burn marks spattered on my arms. I probably look like a really incompetent drug user.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    ugh.

i hate bacon.

i once had to fry up like 15lbs. a day for a dinner i work in.

we'd lay it out on cookie sheets covered in aluminum foil, and put it in the broiler, and when you pulled it out the burning hot liquid grease would be an inch deep, and slosh around as you had to carefully pour it into the grease trap.

if any got on you, it would continue to burn as it adhered to your skin.

no funs.

why were you angry Amelia?
    That sounds scary!

The reason I was angry was totally stupid. I gave someone special consideration and they were a total dick to me in return, way less nice than they were before I gave them special consideration. It's the sort of thing that makes companies have really hardline policies and it made me feel really bad that I'd tried to make an exception for someone and treat them like a VIP and got the exact opposite response from what I would have expected and hoped. This guy actually suggested I sue him, which I wouldn't have if he hadn't brought it up, but now I have to decide if I want to pursue something totally stupid, just because he had to make a thing about it. It wasn't anything important, just really annoying.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

why do people insist on buttering grease burns? butter IS GREASE. Check into some Aloe Vera gel (available at every drugstore nation wide) or some Burts Bees Comphrey Ointment. Works liek a charm. And for the "track marks" Arnica Gel. take it from some one who gave three vials of blood a month for three years running.

K

Sara X's Avatar lizard breath

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    why do people insist on buttering grease burns? butter IS GREASE. Check into some Aloe Vera gel (available at every drugstore nation wide) or some Burts Bees Comphrey Ointment. Works liek a charm. And for the "track marks" Arnica Gel. take it from some one who gave three vials of blood a month for three years running.

K
    be very, very careful with arnica... do not get it in open sores. it's poisonous if you do. i think hypericum ointment works for bruises as well as scrapes, if you want to go the homeopathic route.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

K

aloe vera gel works reallly well. we use a lot of that at my house.
    one time my brother & i were roasting marshmellows over a fire we made. & i dont remembr how i managed to do it but yeah my marshmellow was on fire & i was blowing it out & somehow it hit me in the face while it was still on fire.
    that was an icky one. cause it burned me. plus it was stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara X
    be very, very careful with arnica... do not get it in open sores. it's poisonous if you do. i think hypericum ointment works for bruises as well as scrapes, if you want to go the homeopathic route.
    it is, but to be honest i've never had any problems, of course i was also disolving the little pearls under my tongue at the same time. you would not believe the bruises this , amazinginly convincing, transvestite who worked at AIM used to leave on my arms. One time the bruise went on for like 3 inches in either direction. I had to cancel shoots for two weeks it was so bad. So yeah, maybe i had a tolerance built up.

K

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

K
    Because although it's an old wives tale, It's an old wives tail that works. There is something in the properties of lactose that is said to soothe burned skin. PLus, now she doesn't have to go to the store.

You should never use arnica on an open sore. It's poisonous. There is a reason it says "do not use on broken skin" in all capital letters on the outside of the tube.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

*wanders in and breaks the harmony with a mallet*

Butter on a burn is a bad idea. The saturated fats will temporarily relieve the contraction of burnt skin and visually the absorption of these fats will cause the area to slightly swell, making it appear less damaged - however your standard out-of-the-kitchen butter is far from sterile (on average, several million bacteria per knife-full after 7 days open to the air) and since the skin's immune response is reduced by a burn, it's highly likely that the bacteria will not only cause local inflammation but also pass into the bloodstream and result in a generalised infection. Yes, it's an old wive's tale - but it comes from a time when fevers were fixed by removing a few pints of blood. Any potential benefits (says he arguing with Voltaire but in a nice way) only apply if you've got your hands on sterile butter (Walmart sell it as I Can't Believe It's Not Medicare).

Best treatment for a 1st or minor 2nd degree burn after the 10 minutes of cooling in water (which will prevent the vast majority of swelling) is to cover a burn with a sterile dressing and keep it clean and DRY. The results long-term (scarring or patternation) are far better if you keep it dry than if you keep it mushy.

But don't believe a random stranger on the Internet - ask your doctor. I've been pyroed more times than Rammstein and used to do the same as you until I ended up with a raging fever for a week and a stern lecture from a brunette in a white coat. She was kinda cute though...

Oh, and bacon microwaves just fine.. way safer if you're pissy (or pissed) plus less to wash up.

mG

Aloe is the king.

i buy the super big leaves at the health food store, and eat the gel myself, but then again i'm a freak.

Amelia- th at really sucks that someone fucked you over like that, after you made an exception. grrrrrr!!! i hate it when people take advantage after you show them kindness. one of my major pet peevs... well, if you decide it's worth it, sue him to a crisp

I've learned that the more you bend over back wards for people the more likely they are to shpit on you.and after making said discovourie i eat stuff like apples with good crunch and no grease. and go for a jog, or beat up the water bag in the back yard.

Buster,
    you know if you just plant the leaves of hte aloe plant, you don't even need roots, the thing will grow like a weed and then some. and splitting hte leaves and laying them directly on the burn is slightly more effective than eating them.

K

hey thanks for the info about planting the Aloe leaves keiko, i didn't know that. i'm going to have to try it out with the super big leaves we get here at the super market... (like 2 foot leaves)

i eat the gel for it's nutritional qualities, which are excellent for the digestive system. plus i just like flavor.

for a burn i'd just apply it topically... the really cool thing about eating the gel, is that you get the slime covered green parts of the leaves to apply to your skin, and it looks like the alien from alien drooled all over you LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    the really cool thing about eating the gel, is that you get the slime covered green parts of the leaves to apply to your skin, and it looks like the alien from alien drooled all over you LOL...
    yep especially when it dires that kind of brownish green ick colour. I've had like a dozen aloe plants since we moved to FL and they don't stop growing. I don't know how well it will work with leaves bought at the store because usually those aren't taken right off the plant nad then stuck back in the ground inside five minutes. there's usually at least a day and some refrigeration going on so don't blame me if it doesn't work. jsut remember they are desert plants so don't water more than once a week.

K

+ Reply to Thread