+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do we do it?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Why do we do it?

Every Era has it's trends...some original and fresh others taken from an earlier time. Recently though their has been a major interest into taking these trends and ripping them apart to form hybrids or sub genres within subgenres.

Like the Rockabilly Scene that has evolved into more variations than I can personally keep track of. Now while only scenesters keep track of it all It can sorta defeat the purpose. The idea in naming something or putting it in it's own genre is to make it EASIER to identify not harder.

This is most frustrating with music since it becomes even harder now to find artists and bands because of all these insane genre and sub genres. Plus at some point you gotta wonder who's making this shit up? When did music start being so catogarized? and why do artists and bands feel the need to identify themselves and their music with a genre or scene instead of just letting the music head into as many ears as possible?

The local record shop use to have a Punk section...now that section is divided up into about 20 diffirent sub genres with the artists in EACH of those genres further catogarized and organized at times to insane levels of details.

WTF happend? When did the IRS take over pop culture?

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Default Re: Why do we do it?

Couldn't tell you when man........... but I think it may be to describe the music better for people that don't get it........... like celtic punk for example........ or mod punk and shit like that........ because they think that since they might like Flogging Molly, they're going to hate the Hives or some shit like that.......... to me, music's music....... if I like it I listen to it

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    to me, music's music....... if I like it I listen to it
    Same here. Music is music, while it may be categorized to an extreme, take it back to the root, isn't it music *shrug* i haven't gotten sleep for a while... im off after a couple more posts :p

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I don't know, I've never understood it!
    K

That is very true...everything is categorized...I think it's just so that people feel more inside a certain gathering than say it was all one big mass...maybe they just get simple pleasure out of confusing the fuck out of me....either way I think we should burn stuff........please?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

music is subjective but I think it's becasue society is trying to figure it self out even more now the ever before. I totally see where you guys are going Numetal.....Metalcore, emo scremo....jeesh Just gimme some damn bad brains or social D actually I think it's becasue the whole thing is so dam gimiky and marketable, I read somehwere in the states there is a chain of "punk" clothing stores in malls. In Canada we have West 49th a sk8shop for mall rats and a place I so despise that I can even begin my anti mall rant/west 49th hatred. I think it's becaus eithere is so little originality and intelligent truth. people saying hey things are just stupid and I don't dig the scene and do something completey new and have the balls to stick with it. as for Rockabilly and physchobilly I dunno what to say I think it goes back to the fact there are so many bands out there right now trying to be marketed 2 second rockstars. Any artist be it music or visual will tell you we might not dig the stinking rich but who deosn't mind an extra 20 lining there wallet? Even good ol' hot roding has different sub genere's. One thing I can say is thank god for MP3's because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be able to see or hear all the crap before and throw down money for a band who's talented enough and worth it to buy an LP or cd or even Ep or 7 inch and be supported

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

"everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound honey, but it's still rock n roll to me"

---Billy Joel---

Did I just date myself?

+ Reply to Thread