+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experianced Absinthe?

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

Default Experianced Absinthe?

Last New Years, I almost killed myself with a pitcher of a drink called a chelsea hotel, its just gin, triple sec and a hint of lemon juice. This year I was kinda curious about doing it with absinthe

The emerald-green liquor absinthe has been given some credit for being the muse of the impressionist movement in the late 1800's Europe. While alcohol is a depresant, absinthe's ingredient wormwood excelerates the mind, makes the synaps fire faster, and some have compared it to acid. I suppose thats why it was illegal for almost a hundred years, that and long term abuse of the substance eats holes in your brain.

While absinthe is legal again( yes&no), and can be found in most liquor stores, I've heard thiers no comparison between what we can buy here in America and what absinthe used to be. But I'VE HEARD RUMORS THAT THE REAL THING CAN BE PROCURED!

Anyone Know if its true?--------- Or just,--------- have you experianced absinthe?

I'm still a virgin.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: Experianced Absinthe?

you can get absynthe here in canada but not the stuff with wormwood in it... it tastes like mouthwash. yyuck...

absinthe in the states is just black licorice with green coloring in my opinion.
    but here ya go for
    http://www.originalabsinthe.com/?azx=1024

the genuine stuff is pretty expensive.

Dont forget the spoon.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I've had the real stuff in Australia and Europe and it's no great shakes as far as I'm concerned. It's got a reallly high proof, so you're gonna get way drunker way faster that what you normally drink but I didn't experience any kind of halucinogenic effects or the mythic "green fairy"

Compairing it to Acid is quite an exageration. It fucking works, but it so different than other psychedelics. I had to drink a lot to really feel it, so at the price of a real bottle here in the states it's not really very economical in the 'price vs. buzz' equation. I also found the effects very subtle, although I've found smoking good grass helps to boost it into a more "Psychedelic" experience. Similar to the feeling you get when your coming down off of acid and you take a bong load and you blast off again. Just my 2 cents...

You should be able to find it in east Berlin, pretty easy?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I had a knock off absinthe recently, and woo it got me drunk, and tasted like black licorice (which I can't stand). I probably didn't have enough of it to drink to get any cool effects, but w/e it got me drunk.

I just found my bottle that I'd saved. It's "Hills" Czech absinthe and it's 140 proof.

I read the Czech stuff was very nasty and should be avioded (based on taste)

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

ive ordered real absinthe with a moderately high thujone content before, its usually about $100 a bottle after shipping and whatnot, but i really like it. and yeah it does have a mild psychedelic effect, but usually by the time youve gotten enough thujone to feel it your piss drunk anyways, so i suggest you get one of the 40-80 proof varieties with a high thujone content if you wantto feel the psychedelic effects more strongly.

Zer Zer Zombie's Avatar Junior Member

I haven't had any but, I've heard wonderful things.

Where can I get some?

Someone ordered it online and I had a few shots of it. It was form the same site Voldta noted. I don't think it was bad, kind of refreshing, but since I was already drunk beforehand, it probably could have tasted like piss.

Even the REAL stuff tastes like licorice and it is bitter (thus the reason for pouring over a sugar cube first). You can get strong or weak stuff; just depends on how much you are willing to pay.

w w w. alandia. de

That place has one of the best selections I've found and they are quick with delivery.
    You can find some very strong absinthe (high alcohol and thujone content) for around $50 US and up. The more thujone the better the trip. But you do have to drink a lot of it so either way you are going to get fucked up. I didnt start fealing anything until I was on my 5th or 6th shot.

There are also flavored versions if you dont like the taste of licorice. Also, just as a side note. Visit Morocco..... Pot and absinthe are both legal (they are the second largest producers of pot in the world).

Scar's Avatar Senior Member

You can make it, they sell kits overseas. But then again they sell the real shit overseas.

I bought some Absinthe flavored vodka in Belize :-)

I was gifted a bottle of real absinthe at Burning Man 3 years ago. I decided to pop it open one night after drinking a lot of wine first. The next morning I woke up in bed with my shoes and coat on, but didn't know how I got there. My friends said I started talking nonsense and then they carried me into my room :-)

I reccomend if you try if be cautious with the amount you drink :-)

Nothing really exciting. Hyped up seems to be the name of the game.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

ive had about 5 different varieties of the stuff. some was okay, some good, and one or two was great. ive paid anywheres between $30 to $250 for about a liter bottle. its really hard to describe the effects of it. it does get you more than just drunk tho. i felt very mellow, sort of a mix of getting stoned and being on opiates. i felt really warm and fuzzy plus kind of floaty. it was all good.

ps one of the last times i had the really good stuff, i made the 'mistake' of storing a tiny amount in a small jar that had previously contained pot. by the time i got around to drinking it...the two had mixed together in a really potent way. to say it kicked my ass is an understatement. one sip was enough to get me messed up.

Dunno, just seems like some kinda designer liqour. Placebo plays a big deal into it..and when you go into it expecting such a powerful insane thing...you give it more credit then its worth.

the real deal ,is a tad pricey ,and done in the true manner of in a Absinthe glass ,with the spoon and sugar cubes,with a small amount of water , most of the real stuff is very pricey like aXa said ,, spend 200 bucks ,,and sip it ,take your time ,,damm i hate people that dont know how too drink ,,>(ex-drinker -bartender ) if ya really want to find the best look online ,

Quote Originally Posted by Scar
    You can make it, they sell kits overseas. But then again they sell the real shit overseas.

I bought some Absinthe flavored vodka in Belize :-)

I was gifted a bottle of real absinthe at Burning Man 3 years ago. I decided to pop it open one night after drinking a lot of wine first. The next morning I woke up in bed with my shoes and coat on, but didn't know how I got there. My friends said I started talking nonsense and then they carried me into my room :-)

I reccomend if you try if be cautious with the amount you drink :-)
    God damnit. Why don't hot women ever start acting crazy and end up in my bed...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    God damnit. Why don't hot women ever start acting crazy and end up in my bed...
    They do. You just don't recall because you were drinking absinthe.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    They do. You just don't recall because you were drinking absinthe.

You got no proof of that.

Bedlamite

I don't think the effects are hyped, I just think that people expect to get LSD like effects, when the fact is that Wormwood enough to do that would prolly kill you. Not to mention that Wormwood in itself is EXTREMELY bitter.

You can get stuff that is technically 'real' here in the states. Absinte is made in France, around the ABC stores during the holidays, and the only real difference between it and the 'real' thing is that it uses "Roman Wormwood" Which is a cousin who's thujone content is low enough to make it into the States.

In fact, the Absinte is a little more 'real' than the high thujone stuff you'll often get from Eastern Europe, mostly because of quality differences. There is a huge divide between the companies that add extract of oils to clear liquor, and those that macerate the actual herbs before distillation.

Personally, I love the effect it has. It always feels like a high more than being drunk, and is quite inspiring for writing, painting, and music.

Two Links:

Absinthe FAQ

Absinth Distrubution

A correction to my description of absinthe.

Long term abuse doesn't eat holes in your brain, it puts lesions on your brain.

That is the old stuff did, of course now thier are legal limits to the amount of wormwood, or the chemical that comes from it, thujone.

But what about making it yourself from the kits? hmmm.

Ty Wd!

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Just kill a pint or two of some quality vodka and tell yourself its absinthe. Even if you cant convince yourself its real absinthe, you'll be too drunk to care.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    1 of the very first sites i went too ,and the glasses and spoons are collector items for some peeps..
    A

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

Ive only really had hasberg absinthe, not sure on its thujone content but when taken via gas chamber method it certiainly knocked my senses for a ride.

side note: Gas chambers are easy to do, and ill be suprised if you all dont know, but just incase.

pour a shot of absinthe
    use a lighter or match to light the shot
    place a pint glass over the shot and wait for the flame to go out
    move glass to side of the table so it overhangs slightly
    use a straw and insert in gap and suck up fumes
    once convinced all fumes have been inhaled drink the shot.

garunteed to get you fucked, and works with all shots that are flammable

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah absinthe fucks you up but you gotta go to east europe to get it and it's cheap too, the problem is your so poluted b the time you start hitting that that......well you know what i mean

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

according to the book, "Absinthe: History in a Bottle" by Barnaby Conrad, one of the big reasons that the real stuff was made illegal originally was not so much the thujone in it as the other stuff that the manufactures would add to it. its production was not regulated like the industry is now. a few of the things that were added to absinthe were dyes to make it the right colour - the true greenish colour comes from the chlorophyl in its ingredients. other chemicals that were added to it were things that were also used in perfurmes at the time and have since been made illegal because they were harmful to humans and pets. one or two ingredients are now known to be carcinogenic.

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

This is the stuff we buy, its lovely and I can get it at the local liquor store usually. Yay BC Liquor stores.

http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/hills_absinthe.html

I find that I don't get what I would call drunk on it but it does definitely affect me. I'm not a large drinker to begin with but I always have it poured over sugar, the sugar set afire and then diluted slightly with water. It has the wormwood and of course no opium of any type, which was why Byron and Wilde loved it so much. The thing that I really do notice is the next day I feel amazing, like I can take over the world. I talked to my partner's mother about it and she thinks it smells like the herbal remedy they used to have in the depression, that would fix everything from lice to cancer. Please note I don't recommend using absinthe to cure cancer ... although if I were in that position I might actually try it.

thats the stuff i tried, i drank it the same way. didnt like the taste at all

btw exquisite i didnt know you were in vancouver... awesome!! i live just out in delta

I'm in the west end currently down on English Bay. Moving to Burnaby come spring though =)

aww english bay is way cooler than burnaby hehe... id stay there if i had the choice.
    THE BEACH!!! <3<3<3
    burnaby is cool too though, right in the middle of everything pretty much <3

The beach is lovely but it gets extremely noisy. Plus we have had an issue with crime as of late. So its time to move. We have a lovely old place in Burnaby to move into and I can even put up gargoyles. Woot!

oh hell yeah... gargoyles settles it. id live in the gargoyle place, crime free (hopefully!!!) and just skytrain it to the beach haha... rock on for gargoyles. you must send pics of them <3

Burnaby as in Canada?

Yes I used to live there
    Now I live in West Van

yes in canada i love vancouver hehe... it was actually nice and sunny today... how cool is that? hopefully we dont get any more huge windstorms though... yucky.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think that it's mostly the hype, which seems to have come up in recent years. maybe it was hyped before, but I never heard a big fuss about it. not sure about that suger cube thing if you want to make it sweeter, just pour in the suger. hmm. i'm not usre if this is the place, or whether it's my place to tell people how to get fucked up.. but oh well. I always figured that the suger cube was for ether. you pour it on the cube and light it to burn off the more poisonous toxic chemicals in it (because it's not normally ingested if you want to use the stuff) and then pour the absinthe over the cube to disolve it into the drink. I haven't dabbled with the stuff, so I don't know how much you'd want to use. that should get you pretty lit up on your garden variety liqour store stuff.

spending a 100 bucks just to get wasted seems like a waste of money to me. I've done dust-off, get it at your hardware store for 2 bucks.

Note: i'm not reccomending or suggesting that people do these things. just my observation on the all around dumb nature of buying and using chemicals to experience a "high".

+ Reply to Thread