+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What a great way for a friendship to end.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

Default What a great way for a friendship to end.

So, I used to be a lame little straight edge kid. No drugs, no alchohol, no nothing.
    Then one day I grew up. (not calling being straight edge childish)

heh

Well, recently I tried weed for the first time.
    My (ex)best friend is really fucking nutso about drugs.He HATES them always has.Says something about "it makes you act retarded . . ." He dumped a girl because she did it. So I kept it from him cause I knew if he found out he wouldnt be my friend anymore and such. Not really his business anyhow is what I thought, so I just didnt tell him.

SO he went through my messages on myspazz & found out that I had tried it. He called me last night while I was stoned too . . . we had a big fight . . .

So woo hoo, I've lost a best friend over weed. (and I havent even done it that much anyways)
    He told me that I am a big dissapoint me to him and we are no longer friends.

I feel sad but happy.
    He's been my friend for 3 years so I'm a bit sad but at the same time I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: What a great way for a friendship to end.

Tell him to stop being a tight ass, and that people get curious about things. Marijuana never killed anyone.

Unless someone flogged a crack pipe off a junkie to smoke it and got it all caked with resin then stabbed cause the crack weren't no good no more.

In any case, don't worry about it.

I don't like the fact that alot of my mates get high on whatever they can get hold of, including a mate that's famed for saying "I take four times the prescribed dose, but it's so much better when there isn't a lable!" In the end i can give em my opinion that it's FUCKING STUPID to take stuff that could kill you and in the case of labelless bottles most likely will. But, unless they do something stupid, like ICE or get aggressive, violent and untrustworthy, they're still mates. If he's disowning you for that, it's ridiculous. You won't have to hide anything from him anymore anyways.

Weed isn't going to do you any damage. Sounds like you've got the smarts (from what I can tell here anyway! haha) enough not to get into the repetitive pattern of smoking, smoking, sleeping, smoking eating eating, smoking smoking smoking without actually doing anything else.

I smoke weed on teh occassion, in fact a mates coming round to game, walk and smoke in a sec for a bit of fun. But I only smoke maybe twice a month if that, even if I was smoking more it probably wouldn't have any affect on my social or working life.

Enjoy yourself as always in moderation!

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName

Enjoy yourself as always in moderation!

of course.
    Thats how I am with pretty much everything. Alchohol, weed whatever.
    I hate it when people ruin their lives over things like that but I dont hate on someone for doing it.
    But he thinks doing it just ONCE as the end of the world

But he's a idiot 75% of the time anyhow and Anthony (my fiance) really didnt like him anyhow . . . .
    So I'm guessing its for the best.

But I really do hope he eventually grows up & realizes how stupid what he's doing is.
    If not, his loss I suppose.

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

No offense, but alot of what your saying seems really stupid to me. Especially those two last sentences. I dont feel like explaining anything because its 4 in the morning and i dont feel like it. Just sounds like you guys were never "real" best friends to begin with.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Did you treat him differently, in any way, after trying it?

CherryCola's Avatar King Of The Swing

i kinda see your friends p.o.v im not anti drugs but i hate people smokeing it

[....past experience ive had really close friends back in high school that ive never seen again cause they just sit at home all day getting stoned and expelled from school. my friends mom kicked him out too i tryied to snap sence into him that he was loseing everything but he cared for the weed more than he cared others inc me ]

but that was years ago dunno how id be now with it

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

It sucks to lose a friend, regardless of the reasons behind it.

If someone's going to stop being my friend for my choices, my choices had better:

1.) impact them directly and negatively, and/or
    2.) be truly morally objectionable, like molesting babies or setting their housepets on fire

It would be one thing for him to say, "I don't want to hang out with you when you are high," or even "I don't want to know about it," but your choosing to try pot when you're old enough to have a fiancé is really not any of his business.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

maybe he feels betrayed by you because you used to beleive the same thing that he did and now you don't. it's a pretty stupid reason no matter what, but I can understand the sentiment. if you are really that anti-drug, then you don't want to be freinds with people that do them. it's not a matter of how much you do them, you did them and that's the thing. I'm not justifying it either way, he sounds like a dumb shit, but so is smoking weed.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryCola
    i kinda see your friends p.o.v im not anti drugs but i hate people smokeing it

[....past experience ive had really close friends back in high school that ive never seen again cause they just sit at home all day getting stoned and expelled from school. my friends mom kicked him out too i tryied to snap sence into him that he was loseing everything but he cared for the weed more than he cared others ]
    Pretty much my experience and why I dislike it so much. Its also a huge turn-off relationship wise if the person I like/love does drugs. I see it as low-class and stupid not only because it could lead to above behaviors but because it also wastes tons of money$ and generally the people that type of behavior puts you around are for the most part not ideal friends/role models. Lay down with dogs wake up with fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by LoraLie
    of course.
    Thats how I am with pretty much everything. Alchohol, weed whatever.
    I hate it when people ruin their lives over things like that but I dont hate on someone for doing it.
    But he thinks doing it just ONCE as the end of the world

But he's a idiot 75% of the time anyhow and Anthony (my fiance) really didnt like him anyhow . . . .
    So I'm guessing its for the best.

But I really do hope he eventually grows up & realizes how stupid what he's doing is.
    If not, his loss I suppose.
    The question is now that you've tried it do you plan on using it again? Maybe your friend has reasons for why he is so against weed/drinking.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

man, that is lame. i can relate tho. i lost a good friend back in high school because i 'stole' a dollar that was lying on the floor of his car. you'd think that a friendship of a few years would be worth more than a buck - or in your case - a toke. i can sort of understand it tho. i knew a few straight edge kids who would stop being friends with you if you used, even once.

i agree with what theQuietplace said about being curious. i know a few exstraight edge people who got into drugs or alcohol later on in life. its easier to be against something that you have experienced, in my opinion.

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

sounds like someone trying to push their ideals onto others, if hes willing to end a frienship over a choice you made that had no negative effect to him then, hes not much of a friend.

kind of like if he stopped being your friend because you tried eating sushi.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

can't say I've ever had that problem

Flip's Avatar Tea Drinker

oh man, the amount of friends ive lost because of sushi!

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

*hugs to LoraLie*

I hate drugs. I hate what they do to people and I hate their existence in this world. My issue stems from growing up with parents who were drug users and sellers. I learned from an early age what affect drugs have on people. Even people who thought they were smart and could handle it. In my younger years I was a lot more vocal about it. However that is my visceral opinion.

People have a right to their own lives and even if I see something as an error in judgment that doesn't make it so for them. However that concept was extremely hard for me to see as it related to drugs (I'm seriously stubborn and apparently a fascist). It was a personal growth moment and like most moments of personal growth, it took a degree of maturity.

It doesn't mean this person isn't your friend and that person may still care about you quite a bit. However, in the situation that you have presented to them they also have a choice: accept the situation; change the situation or remove themselves from the situation. Maybe they couldn't do either of the first two.

Edit: Also maybe he was hoping that his friendship was more important than the drug.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

thatsa really stupid reason to lose a freindship, i could understand someone being pissed off if you started smoking weed all the time and let it consume your life, but smoking it one or two times? or even more but only occasionaly? your freind is a moron. and sounds like one of those hardline straight-edgers (whom i equate with neo-nazis and other such types of people)

yeah, if I refused to talk to someone just because they did something I didn't like, then i'd have exactly zero freinds.

What angers me the most is where the money ends up going. You pay the neighborhoo drugdealer..who unless he grows it himself, pays another guy some money, who pays another guy. You go down the line of criminals till (atleast for our area) you hit Mexico. Weeds just the tip of the sword there..your money goes to help fund prostitution, violence, and other harder drugs like cocaine etc.

Remember in highschool walking into a bathroom and seeing a kid snort cocaine off a piece of notebook paper he put on a toilet. What the fuck is up with that? I can't really wage a "crusade" about it without sounding like a dick..and in the end it is their choice however stupid it might be. However when people on drugs start interfering in my life, when I have to worry about people robbing or hurting someone I love thats when I have a major problem. What people do in there own home away from everyone else is on them. But when they bring it into the world I have to work and live in..then I have a big, big problem.

You wont ever find me supporting a dealer, and by association helping gangs and druglords to abuse the meek and weak or in that process hurt an innocent.

I dont think I'll be doing it again. Not because him just because while it was fun, it wasnt something that was incredibly amazing to me. Didnt love it, didnt hate it.
    It had its good points and bad. I can live without it.

But he didnt care, just the fact that I did it.

and I know its because he thinks I chose weed over our friendship, but I still think its lame. Because he went to putting me down and calling me "disgusting" for it and other crap.

I reached the fuck it point and gave up when he resorted to that.

but still kinda bummed me out for a bit.

oh and He isnt straight edge. Well he doesnt call himself that, he just has all the beliefs & crap.

But doesnt follow the fashions with it.

Fashions?

lol Straightedge has a fashion?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by LoraLie
    So, I used to be a lame little straight edge kid. No drugs, no alchohol, no nothing.
    Then one day I grew up. (not calling being straight edge childish)

heh

Well, recently I tried weed for the first time.
    My (ex)best friend is really fucking nutso about drugs.He HATES them always has.Says something about "it makes you act retarded . . ." He dumped a girl because she did it. So I kept it from him cause I knew if he found out he wouldnt be my friend anymore and such. Not really his business anyhow is what I thought, so I just didnt tell him.

SO he went through my messages on myspazz & found out that I had tried it. He called me last night while I was stoned too . . . we had a big fight . . .

So woo hoo, I've lost a best friend over weed. (and I havent even done it that much anyways)
    He told me that I am a big dissapoint me to him and we are no longer friends.

I feel sad but happy.
    He's been my friend for 3 years so I'm a bit sad but at the same time I feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders.
    My finacee is 19 and straight edge. When we first started dating, his friends and family would tell me how he used to dump girls that would drink or smoke. I do both. He isnt as uptight about it as he was before because he understands people are who they are, and you cant judge someone on wether they drink or smoke. Now we get into little tiffs if I pick up a beer, but eventually its not worth losing me over, since he values ME so much. Sounds like your friend still hasnt quite figured out whats important in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    What angers me the most is where the money ends up going. You pay the neighborhoo drugdealer..who unless he grows it himself, pays another guy some money, who pays another guy. You go down the line of criminals till (atleast for our area) you hit Mexico. Weeds just the tip of the sword there..your money goes to help fund prostitution, violence, and other harder drugs like cocaine etc.

Remember in highschool walking into a bathroom and seeing a kid snort cocaine off a piece of notebook paper he put on a toilet. What the fuck is up with that? I can't really wage a "crusade" about it without sounding like a dick..and in the end it is their choice however stupid it might be. However when people on drugs start interfering in my life, when I have to worry about people robbing or hurting someone I love thats when I have a major problem. What people do in there own home away from everyone else is on them. But when they bring it into the world I have to work and live in..then I have a big, big problem.

You wont ever find me supporting a dealer, and by association helping gangs and druglords to abuse the meek and weak or in that process hurt an innocent.
    It's mostly alot different down here. If you're buying weed you know it was grown in OUR state hehehe. For the most part, if I'm buying off a mate it's because they've bought an OZ from the guy that grew it and normally, you'll just end up buying it directly from the grower (if you're on good terms/trustworthy). As I generally purchase outdoor from my hippy mates, it's generally pretty good, seasonable AND not grown by bikers, who control alot of the meth/ICE market.

Also, our weed is at pretty cheap prices, so there really isn't some annonymous mobster getting rich. It's kinda like our state culture. HOWEVER if you're buying the hard stuff, like ICE (which is fucking ridiculous), meth, E, cocaine etc you're directly funding the bikers around adelaide who set up labs wherever they can. But I don't like that shit any way, messes with your head too much you know?

I don't think that I could date someone that used drugs. Not that I'm so hardline, but I just don't think that I could be close to someone that drinks and uses and not do it too. and if I did then the relationship wouldn't last very long.

don't know how that's gonna fuckin work out.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't think that I could date someone that used drugs. Not that I'm so hardline, but I just don't think that I could be close to someone that drinks and uses and not do it too. and if I did then the relationship wouldn't last very long.

don't know how that's gonna fuckin work out.
    Depends then on the person. What becomes more important?

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    Depends then on the person. What becomes more important?
    well depends on if the person has a chemical dependency problem.

but in general it seems to me that it's more of an issue of motivation instead of just actions. if you would never do something, to think that someone else would calls into question the whole basis of how they feel about things. if they are willing to do something that you could not bring yourself to do, then it stands to reason that they don't see things the same way as you do, and then you need to decide how you feel about that. some people don't care. some people want to have relationsips with people that are like-minded.

+ Reply to Thread