Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prozac Found in Britain's Drinking Water

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

Default Prozac Found in Britain's Drinking Water

Link to the story.

Report: Prozac Found in Britain's Drinking Water

Sun Aug 8, 7:48 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Traces of the anti-depressant Prozac have been found in Britain's drinking water supply, setting off alarm bells with environmentalists concerned about potentially toxic effects.

The Observer newspaper said Sunday that a report by the government's environment watchdog found Prozac was building up in river systems and groundwater used for drinking supplies.

The exact quantity of Prozac in the drinking water was unknown, but the Environment Agency's report concluded Prozac could be potentially toxic in the water table.

Experts say that Prozac finds its way into rivers and water systems from treated sewage water, and some believe the drugs could affect reproductive ability.

A spokesman for Britain's Drinking Water Inspectorate said Prozac was likely to be found in a considerably watered down form that was unlikely to pose a health risk.

"It is extremely unlikely that there is a risk, as such drugs are excreted in very low concentrations," the spokesman said. "Advanced treatment processes installed for pesticide removal are effective in removing drug residues."

But environmentalists called for an urgent investigation into the findings.

Norman Baker, environment spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said it looked "like a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public."

"It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water," he told the Observer.

The Environment Agency has held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any repercussions for human health or the ecosystem, the Observer said.

Prescription of anti-depressants has surged in Britain. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from 9 million to 24 million a year, the paper said.

Will Judy's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Prozac Found in Britain's Drinking Water

Never heard a better potential ad campaing for bottled water. Wake up, Britain! When you drink tap water, you are drinking depressed people's PISS!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Will Judy
    Never heard a better potential ad campaing for bottled water. Wake up, Britain! When you drink tap water, you are drinking depressed people's PISS!
    I'm drinking Perrier right now and I feel like Hell, so there is no way there are any antidepressants in my bottled water.

there has to be a shit load of depressed people pissing in britian fore it to accumulate like that...maybe it was planted in the water as a kind of lets make British people happier....governments are tricky like that

Quote Originally Posted by bleedingaway
    there has to be a shit load of depressed people pissing in britian fore it to accumulate like that...maybe it was planted in the water as a kind of lets make British people happier....governments are tricky like that
    The problem with antidepressants is that they rob your sex drive for the most part--makes for long term unhappiness -- they are a bad investment- in my experience..P.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I'm on anti-depressants, they fucking suck. I'm also ADD/ADHD, so along with my pills for that, I'm on the verge of being a frickin zombie. And if you even ATTEMPT to just completely stop, you'll feel like shit. I say the people should rebel against the gevernment, and petition this. Once there's a drug that has mind control power, we're all fucking screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I'm on anti-depressants, they fucking suck. I'm also ADD/ADHD, so along with my pills for that, I'm on the verge of being a frickin zombie. And if you even ATTEMPT to just completely stop, you'll feel like shit. I say the people should rebel against the gevernment, and petition this. Once there's a drug that has mind control power, we're all fucking screwed.
    Yes I'm part of a class action lawsuit agst. one pharm. company--If you want more info abt groups you could get involved in..you can email me privately or send a priv. message..
    btw- you probably can't just 'completely stop'- you are better off trying to wean off slowly..but even that will be hard..hang in there-P.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

wooo free prozak......just inject my tapwater into my veins and i'll be happy

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    Yes I'm part of a class action lawsuit agst. one pharm. company--If you want more info abt groups you could get involved in..you can email me privately or send a priv. message..
    btw- you probably can't just 'completely stop'- you are better off trying to wean off slowly..but even that will be hard..hang in there-P.
    Indeed it is hard to wean off, the doc said 6 months, I gave it three, got bored, stopped taking them. Suicidal thoughts came about, got back on. Simple as that.

PS. Pills aren't a "cure-all"

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Eurgh! Maybe it's a mass conspiracy by the American government to make the Brits pliable and send them all to war and keep the people at home from thinking of revolting... Jeeze! I wonder what's in the tap water here! It's bad enough the put massive amounts of flouride in the water supply here (ex- Utah). I wonder what kind of an effect trace amounts of Prozac ould have on you if you showered or bathed in same said tap water. Medication by osmosis....
    K

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Eurgh! Maybe it's a mass conspiracy by the American government to make the Brits pliable and send them all to war and keep the people at home from thinking of revolting... Jeeze! I wonder what's in the tap water here! It's bad enough the put massive amounts of flouride in the water supply here (ex- Utah). I wonder what kind of an effect trace amounts of Prozac ould have on you if you showered or bathed in same said tap water. Medication by osmosis....
    K

Did I mention I always drink bottled water. I'm a Perrier girl.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    K
    Well if it helps keeps Madonna over there I'm all for it...plus it obviously has no effect...just listen to British Pop...or any number of those depressing brit bands who whine about losing a flower in the rain and assorted nonsense.

Indeed it is hard to wean off, the doc said 6 months, I gave it three, got bored, stopped taking them. Suicidal thoughts came about, got back on. Simple as that.

I don't know what your diagnosis was- but yes, I have had suicidal thoughts- as one counselor told me -they are much more common than people think and - they usually mean you need to make changes in your life..which is hard work and -yes - as you say pills aren't a 'cure-all'- but don't tell that to the pharmacological lobby which has so much media clout..good luck P>

Antidepressants in the drinking water sounds like a future dystopian SF novel.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I lived in a town where they found a correlation between a mineral they were dumping in the water, teens, and the increasing suicide rate the community was going through. That was about 1990 to 1992, I believe. So, anti-depressants is interesting based on that experience.

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I think the world needs prozac in their drinking water

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

no then we would have a bunch of happy go lucky fucks in this world...

a world full of hippies! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    that was th 60's no more

Have you seen a dietitian? It could be a lack of potassium, iron, zinc or some other vitamin or mineral. Also, and I know this is very ungoth, but pleasant music and a walk always helps me

Quote Originally Posted by memorydream
    I lived in a town where they found a correlation between a mineral they were dumping in the water, teens, and the increasing suicide rate the community was going through. That was about 1990 to 1992, I believe. So, anti-depressants is interesting based on that experience.
    Oh wow, what mineral was that? Calcium? Do you have a link to that article or do you recall what it said?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    Have you seen a dietitian? It could be a lack of potassium, iron, zinc or some other vitamin or mineral. Also, and I know this is very ungoth, but pleasant music and a walk always helps me
    Uh oh, is that Enya I hear with Mineral water chilling in the background?

Oh wow, what mineral was that? Calcium? Do you have a link to that article or do you recall what it said?
    I don't believe it ever was in an article. But, it was in Cheney, Washington (the State) and it was a particular type of flouride as I recall. There are two or more (I think?) kinds they put in water. I'm sure if I saw a list I could tell you.

Tell you what, I'll see if I can find an article about it backlogged somewhere.

m
    not really-most antidepressants have the awful side effect of dramatically reducing one's sex drive..one reason I got off (no pun) them- P.

m
    not really-most antidepressants have the awful side effect of dramatically reducing one's sex drive..one reason I got off (no pun) them- P.
    poor people taking em

Don't know abt vitamins- but some research is showing that Omega Three Fish oils can help mood..I take them when I'm having a real bad day..P.

Quote Originally Posted by Vempyrik
    poor people taking em
    Dood- I was the fucking court enunch (sp?)for way, way too long (if I was lucky could perform maybe once or twice a week) P...

Dood- I was the fucking court enunch (sp?)for way, way too long (if I was lucky could perform maybe once or twice a week) P...
    ... i was on some for maybe a week and i quit eating... i just wasnt hungry.. i just sat i my room all day.. so i went to the consouler told em to fuck off and i threw the pills at em.. lol i never noticed change in sex drive.. but at the time i had no girlfriend.. so i dont know.

... i was on some for maybe a week and i quit eating... i just wasnt hungry.. i just sat i my room all day.. so i went to the consouler told em to fuck off and i threw the pills at em.. lol i never noticed change in sex drive.. but at the time i had no girlfriend.. so i dont know.
    They don't effect everyone that way..but many people are complaining of that..it starts by effecting sex. performance..then eventually interest altogether starts to wane...my girlfriend could walk in naked and I'd wave her out of the way so I could watch C-span..instead..bizarre P.

They don't effect everyone that way..but many people are complaining of that..it starts by effecting sex. performance..then eventually interest altogether starts to wane...my girlfriend could walk in naked and I'd wave her out of the way so I could watch C-span..instead..bizarre P.
    i took myne like 2-3years ago after i got out of the Mental Hospital... i thought they were dumb and a waste of money... but some of those pills can make people go crazier then make them even remotely close to being better

i took myne like 2-3years ago after i got out of the Mental Hospital... i thought they were dumb and a waste of money... but some of those pills can make people go crazier then make them even remotely close to being better
    I agree- I've had some of the worst suicidal thoughts on some of those meds (especially Prozac)-- basically some people (me)are just allergic to them....they do help some people -but it's maybe 40 percent at most.
    btw- sorry to hear of your hospitalization..hope you're doing better now..P.

I agree- I've had some of the worst suicidal thoughts on some of those meds (especially Prozac)-- basically some people (me)are just allergic to them....they do help some people -but it's maybe 40 percent at most.
    btw- sorry to hear of your hospitalization..hope you're doing better now..P.
    Personally prozac helped me, but I know that pills are not for everyone. I'm not on anything anymore and some may say I should be. However my choice is to be drug free.

Personally prozac helped me, but I know that pills are not for everyone. I'm not on anything anymore and some may say I should be. However my choice is to be drug free.
    Sure they can help but I think for many if not most- it's just a stop gap measure -to get people up and moving again..long term change has to be done by the individual..meds aren't the big 'magic bullet' like they advertise on tv..with zoloft for instance...P.

I took a little Zoloft in middle school because my doctor thought it would cure anorexia (??? Don't ask me what he was thinking!!) I only took it a couple times and both times my short-term memory was completely shot for a few hours. I know these drugs don't work on the receptors that make short term memory, so maybe something else was going on. Serotonin has more functions than just mood alteration, and works on receptors we probably aren’t even aware of. It's risky to take any new drug, that's for sure, I wouldn't trust it for another 10 years or so, but that's just me.

I took a little Zoloft in middle school because my doctor thought it would cure anorexia (??? Don't ask me what he was thinking!!) I only took it a couple times and both times my short-term memory was completely shot for a few hours. I know these drugs don't work on the receptors that make short term memory, so maybe something else was going on. Serotonin has more functions than just mood alteration, and works on receptors we probably aren’t even aware of. It's risky to take any new drug, that's for sure, I wouldn't trust it for another 10 years or so, but that's just me.
    Yes that's a good point --science still doesn't even know what serotonin really does with mood..with some people it can enhance it..with others it does the opposite.. with some people it initially helps -then later it makes you more depressed and agitated (this happened with me) -P.

i think i need some prozac or something right now.. to make me happy so ppl will back off about me being depressed 24/7

i think i need some prozac or something right now.. to make me happy so ppl will back off about me being depressed 24/7
    Try OTC things like SAM-e or St. Johns Wort or GABA--
    or even regular exercise..give it a try.P.

Try OTC things like SAM-e or St. Johns Wort or GABA--
    or even regular exercise..give it a try.P.
    i am lazy tho :P

No, GABA sounds riskier than Serotonin to me! Anyway, how about some crack?

No, GABA sounds riskier than Serotonin to me! Anyway, how about some crack?
    CRACK?!

+ Reply to Thread