+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pen Names

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Pen Names

Due to some unusual circumstances, I am in contact with an individual who has used the same pen name since '99. It looks like someone is trying to debase this with a domain by a very similar name (I own a similar domain name, but it is plural and I did not know this person at the time. I do not currently plan to use it due to this.)

Does anyone have experience with this in practice? Any suggestions on what to do? I don't give a shit about the domain. It's the individual and the proper protection of her creative output that concerns me.

OEC

Default Re: Pen Names

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Due to some unusual circumstances, I am in contact with an individual who has used the same pen name since '99. It looks like someone is trying to debase this with a domain by a very similar name (I own a similar domain name, but it is plural and I did not know this person at the time. I do not currently plan to use it due to this.)

Does anyone have experience with this in practice? Any suggestions on what to do? I don't give a shit about the domain. It's the individual and the proper protection of her creative output that concerns me.

OEC
    To add to the mix. My site was originally going to be for a chick with a different spelling of the name. She isn't a writer though and no longer a factor. I don't expect anyone to know definitively what to do here.

Anything on pen names generally would be helpful though.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I tend not to use them. I never have.

I'm not sure what the problem is entirely. That someone is using a similar name? Nothing to be done for that sadly.

Or is it copyright infringement?

Or just general annoyance that someone is trying to make someone else look bad?

I honestly do not know at this point. I have not found specific incidents of copyright infringement as yet. The same name is being used for different purposes. My inclination is currently to ignore it. I think a response will simply give these people credence they do not deserve.

It is a bizarre situation. I have some experience with pen names, but I have never had an experience like this.

Thanks Though.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread