+ Reply to Thread

Thread: this had been another rant, brought to you by...

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Default this had been another rant, brought to you by...

my accidentally acquired kitten, Thimble, and I moved back to TN. i needed to come home. for the most part, people have been very nice to me. that whole southern hospitality thing, i guess. sure, i'll get the odd stare, but for the most part, i've been getting complemented on my clothing choices. weird, huh? i'm used to stares. i mean, let's be honest, i'm sure we ALL get them, and it doesn't bother me. however, something really got to me and it wasn't the bitter disaproval of some seventy year old battle axe, it was little girl and her mother that had me in tears.

i went to the zoo the other day, parasol in hand. sure it was black, but i even wore a dress. because my skin is so damn fair (glows under black light, no make up needed, thanks.) i had on tons o sunblock. i digress, but you get the picture. nice day out. i was happily looking at the big cats when this kid comes toddling over to me. she looked at my arm and says, "Did Satan burn you?" (i have a bit of a burn on my arm. nothing too serious i've come to find out, but it bothers me.). what a charmer. instead of admonishing the kid, or apologizing to me, the mom scooped up the kid, giving me a dirty look, as if it were my fault her kid was heinous or something.

so here's my back assward question: why do people do that? look at those of us that are just a little bit different and make these huge judgements? do they think that they're better than us? what gives them the right to decide? does wearing black, having scars or a limp or some other issues make us less as people?

it pisses me off that people make these snap judgements and i have my own answrs to all that. i'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

AnnieAnatomy's Avatar Wanted in all states

Default Re: this had been another rant, brought to you by...

I get this also,

I had a little girl come up to me the other day in a public bathroom (i was washing my hands at the sink at the time) she watched me for a moment or so and i could see her out the corner of my eye so i turned around and asked her what the matter was, in reply she asked "Are you a goth?" i nodded and smilled (why deny the obvious?) then she looked very serious and said "My momie says that all goths kill themselves before they are 20" i was silent for a moment, then deaply saddened that some one who could make such horrible clames and pass them on to their children, my "momie" was a goth and she taught me tolerence and love for my fellow man.

I know how you feel.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

When I lived in Georgia, stuff like that happened to me all the time. Like the people in the local deli would ask if I drank babies' blood and it was just like, uhm, I'm here buying bagels. I eat bagels, not babies. But it wore on me.

Then I came to Los Angeles and I was sitting in a Starbucks with a fun fur coat on and this little kid ran over and started grabbing it. The kids mother came over and told her to do it gentle and showed her how to pet gently.

I live in California now.

"Does your Momie drink vodka for breakfast little girl?"

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

whoa what a dick move, nothing like this has ever happened to me. i do get the odd look now and then since i moved to a small town in Texas but nothing major like that. My mom says people dont aproach me because i always look mad but i cant help it thats how my face is. maybe you could try giving people "the eye"

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

You need to get a kid and do the same back to them.

Show them what it's like! "Look mummy, that old woman smells like a tramp!" to a mid-20s white trash skank.

I generally get looks cause I'm walking around wearing business attire but sharp haha. Like say Navy blue coat with purple trim, bright purple shirt, beige pants, red tie and matching red leather docs then my sunnies ... mmmm Oakley Juliets ... anyways.

I find people look at me funny cause I look angry alot of the time, or I'm bouncing up and down for now reason, or I'm smiling like an idiot cause I thought of something funny. Other than that, I don't really wear anything out, unless at night, that really stands out. Going out with my exes and stuff however I've seen quite a few assholes point, laugh, make fun, crack jokes etc. And they piss me off.

I've got a question tatum, ever make fun of other people yourself? Like maybe someone you think is conforming to a ridiculous degree, is acting stupid, wearing something hideously bright etc? I'm just interested to know.

If I cop flak, I'm quite happy to. I find myself mocking as much as I receive it so I kinda just deal with it. It's if taunts get physical I get pissed off.

I expect to be made fun of at times, i do dress funny but there are places where i draw the line, for example when people get phisical: although this has only happened once and it wasn't very violent, i kid at school threw something at me... i delt with that good... real good he had a real hard time getting that black lipstic off!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieAnatomy
    I expect to be made fun of at times, i do dress funny but there are places where i draw the line, for example when people get phisical: although this has only happened once and it wasn't very violent, i kid at school threw something at me... i delt with that good... real good he had a real hard time getting that black lipstic off!
    Nice haha.

Exquisite's Avatar Senior Member

I had a little girl come up to me once and say to her mom, "Mommy her hair is blue" the mom smiled and said yup, I smiled down at her too, then she said "I want blue hair its pretty" the mom laughed and said that she could have blue hair when she was all grown up like me.

There are some good people out there, don't let the idiots get you down.

Bedlamite

*nod* Its all a matter of the people. Here in Western North Carolina, people have always been pretty super... The first time I went out in my cloak, there was this Lady staring, and I got nervous... She tugged gently at it, and announced, "I jus' love yer cape, when I was young, I thawt it was Halloween every day!" and she laughed. Mostly my parasol gets looks from the tourists, and the locals get weirded out when my hair -isn't- some odd color. *shrug* Like Exquisite said, don't let the idiots get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    You need to get a kid and do the same back to them.

Show them what it's like! "Look mummy, that old woman smells like a tramp!" to a mid-20s white trash skank.

working on that, actually. adoption is a slow process.

Quote Originally Posted by StolenName
    I generally get looks cause I'm walking around wearing business attire but sharp haha. Like say Navy blue coat with purple trim, bright purple shirt, beige pants, red tie and matching red leather docs then my sunnies ... mmmm Oakley Juliets ... anyways.

I find people look at me funny cause I look angry alot of the time, or I'm bouncing up and down for now reason, or I'm smiling like an idiot cause I thought of something funny. Other than that, I don't really wear anything out, unless at night, that really stands out. Going out with my exes and stuff however I've seen quite a few assholes point, laugh, make fun, crack jokes etc. And they piss me off.

I've got a question tatum, ever make fun of other people yourself? Like maybe someone you think is conforming to a ridiculous degree, is acting stupid, wearing something hideously bright etc? I'm just interested to know.

If I cop flak, I'm quite happy to. I find myself mocking as much as I receive it so I kinda just deal with it. It's if taunts get physical I get pissed off.

i wish i could say that i haven't, but there have been times when my own smart ass comments just can't be stopped and i find myself pointing out some one's idiocy (think Jessica Simpson's chicken of the sea quote.)

With that said though, it's not like i'm vicious, or obnoxious about it. it's more, "oh bless their hearts". And it's not so much the whole, let's judge goths in general, it was that this kid was pointing out my burn, something i'm already neurotic about, and connecting it to another part of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tatum radcliffe
    i wish i could say that i haven't, but there have been times when my own smart ass comments just can't be stopped and i find myself pointing out some one's idiocy (think Jessica Simpson's chicken of the sea quote.)

With that said though, it's not like i'm vicious, or obnoxious about it. it's more, "oh bless their hearts". And it's not so much the whole, let's judge goths in general, it was that this kid was pointing out my burn, something i'm already neurotic about, and connecting it to another part of my life.
    Ah k. It's more so about how personal taunts can get. I can understand that.

And oh yes, chicken of the sea...

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

heh chicken of the sea... ow... my brain...
    guh yeah people can be real dumb sometimes... but theyre evened out by the really cool people you meet once in awhile.
    and and and exquisite i want to dye my hair blue for my wedding heheee... i dont think jamie will let me though

+ Reply to Thread