+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interesting Debate they had at the "college"(sp) I goto

Default Interesting Debate they had at the "college"(sp) I goto

If you could grow a clone of yourself without the mind, or other parts inside their cranium that would make them a sentient being, not sure how to explain this part, but:

If you could grow a clone without the clone having any brain inside it, then you could extend your life by doing a brain transplant, would you?

Or would you do the same thing, but give the clone a brain, but transfer your mind and memories into it, so that you would be essentially doing a body transfer/possession.

shesinparties's Avatar Member

Default Re: Interesting Debate they had at the "college"(sp) I goto

no.no.no.
    I even like futuristic thoughts and possibilities but for myself I am really not in to self preservation.This life of mine IS and will be enough....I do wish I could be around when the aliens take over though<wink>
    ok wait.I think I would be interested in the feeling..of being in someone elses body....but long term thought still=no.

Personally, I would rather become a Vampire , or Ascend into a Demon Prince, but that is just me

Hula Hoop Supervisor

As soon as I can "grow my own organ backups" I'm doing it...legal or not.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Hmmm... aside from the direct physical identicallity, I'm not sure the second option is terribly different from just having children and doing your best to teach them everything you know. A lot of people do feel the desire to do that, but In my opinion they try to put a little too much spin on their teachings. Children draw different conclusions from things sometimes, and that's hard to control.

As far as the primary question goes, well, I like me, and I think I'm a good guy to have around and such, but to be completely honest, I'm not sure experience has increased my overall happiness. I've learned a lot of hard lessons about the nature of man over the years, and some of those lessons have been quite grim. I miss some of the ideology of youth and the energy that comes from it. So, I think if I lived longer, I'd just be more unhappy with the nature of society, the inhumanity, people's capacity for self delusion. One thing Vampires lose is their compassion, and I think I know why.

shesinparties's Avatar Member

...maybe there would be a market for people with physical handicaps that might be willing to purchase your 'healthy body clone' to put their mind in...?

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

I would assume that if you were old, and you could transfer your memories into a cloned -- younger-- body, and that this was a "perfected" operation.

If I did this and came out just a human being, and living an extension of the life I'm living now, I would say no. My health sucks, and I don't want to live this way longer than I can. But if I were to come out living a more comfortable life, a completely *healthy* life, and be intellectually smarter, I'd do it once, just to feel what it's like.

Actually I'm waiting for the geneticists to figure out a way to make humans grow functional wings.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage

Actually I'm waiting for the geneticists to figure out a way to make humans grow functional wings.
    Those who have the actual knowledge behind something like this have theorized for it to be possible MAJOR changes to the human body would be needed. The final outcome would look almost unhuman. The strange thing was most agreed that the major hurdle for changes like this to the human body would be other humans. If skin color causes so many problems imagine an entire offshoot of humanity That has wings...social issues seem to be what really hurts ideas like this.

Personally I think it's inevitable. Once technology allows us to modify our bodies in ways only seen in Sci-Fi movies...humanity will no longer look or feel the way we know it today. Our life expectancy has already doubled...so it's only a matter of time that we not only live beyond 100 years on average...that's a LONG time tech wise. So the possibilities are pretty amazing.

+ Reply to Thread