+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wtf hapd to punk

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: wtf hapd to punk

I think the best way to settle the debate about the current status of punk is for us all to go eat sushi and not pay.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I can deal with normal looking people. I pretend to be one most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I think the best way to settle the debate about the current status of punk is for us all to go eat sushi and not pay.
    That line gets the EPIC WIN

DreamKrusher's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I hear you on all that, although I kind of disagree with your "If you become successful as a punk band, ur doing it wrong." statement, but mostly from a definition of success perspective. I think those band did archive their own success, it just isn't the same success a pop band sets out to achieve. Punk doesn't equal fail to me. It's just not about wholesale buying into the greater culture's more shallow benchmarks.

Some of the tastes you are communicating seem a little more 'foot soldier' to me, and that's ok, a lot of the bands I love fall into that realm as well, but I do think there is also room in Punk for more political bands, so long as they are not to weak.

I agree, I just preferred hardcore to punk. I mean, don't get me wrong.. I loved Minor Threat, Conflict, etc,.. I just think hardcore was, well, 'harder'-sounding..
    Everyone has their preferences, I guess.... I realize that alot of those bands are a bit 'foot soldier', but you gotta realize that was in the mid to late 80's...
    I listen to wayyyyy different stuff now.... alot of industrial, synth, darkwave, techno, undercore.... I have always been an intellectual of sorts,but preferred harder music. I mean, Pantera is still one of my fave bands... But now, my fave bands are Deadsy, Dir en Grey, OhGr, the GothCicles, The Birthday Massacre, Cruxshadows... Of course, I still love my Rammstein, Lamb of God, Bolt Thrower, etc... as people mature, (hopefully) thier tastes do as well.... But I will love death metal til the day I die... then you can put me in the boat, lay my guitar across my chest, set me on fire, and push me out to sea... Honestly, tho, punk/hardcore may make a comeback here pretty soon.... times are getting pretty shitty.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I can deal with normal looking people. I pretend to be one most of the time.
    Amelia was posting a Repo Man quote. She can eat in nice restaurants with the best of them and I've rarely seen her take any issue with someone's appearance.

Not in the face . . . thank you.

Normal fuckin' people. I hate 'em.

Repo Man is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I sorta wanted Nicholas Cage to be hotter when I first saw Valley Girl and I thought his freaky ex he fools around with in the nightclub was way more desirable than Miss 818. His looks sort of work better now than they did then somehow though.

All I have to say is "Wild at Heart"

"Oh, Sailor!!!"

" I don't wanna drive.. I don't wanna know how to drive.."

"let's go do those crimes!"
    "Yeah, those crimes"

"But what about our relationship?"
    "Fuck that shit!"

Clearly, Emilio's best work...

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    Amelia was posting a Repo Man quote. She can eat in nice restaurants with the best of them and I've rarely seen her take any issue with someone's appearance.
    I've seen that movie dozens of times and don't remember that line being in it.

I'm not saying yr full of shit, I'm just curious who said it and when... this is driving me nuts.

'That was intense!"

"A repo man's life is always intense!"

ok, ok, I'll quit with the quotes..... such a milestone film for me, tho..

I've seen that movie dozens of times and don't remember that line being in it.

I'm not saying yr full of shit, I'm just curious who said it and when... this is driving me nuts.
    Harry Dean Stanton says it to Mr. Estevez during the first scene w/ them driving at night, like, right before he says "I don't know a repo man that doesn't do speed", and they line up...

"Aliens? Looks like sausage to me!"

"Goddamn dipshit Rodriguez gypsy dildo PUNKS! I'll get your ass!"

I love you guys

"I'll come back later and pick up my stuff when the place doesn't smell so much like shit"

You guys should come over and we'll smoke a joint and watch it on the plasma

We'll get beer that just sez 'BEER' on the can.....

"Wasn't that Otto?" "Otto who?"

I've got... nothin' better to dooooo.... than watch TV, and have a couple of brewwwws...

"I blame society... guuuuurgle"

"Bullshit. You're a white suburban punk. Just like me."

"I had this dream.... It was so real.... I was there, you were there, and we were working in this shitty hotel.. but we were both 60 years old"

btw, this thread has gone off on a major tangent, hasn't it... how punk rokk (j/k)

That's what's wrong with it.

lol

you know what happened to punk rock? Gluesniffing has relly declined amongst young ppl

You know what happened to punk rock? Johnny Rotten got his own reality TV show...

You know what happened to punk rokk? All of the Ramones died, except for Tommy, the short, ugly,Czech one who's a total prick.... So much of a prick, they replaced him with Marky Ramone..... DUDE!!!! OK.... u ppl hav seen Rock'n'Roll High School, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamKrusher
    "But what about our relationship?"
    "Fuck that shit!"

Clearly, Emilio's best work...
    One of my favorite moments in cinema!

Harry Dean Stanton says it to Mr. Estevez during the first scene w/ them driving at night, like, right before he says "I don't know a repo man that doesn't do speed", and they line up...

"Aliens? Looks like sausage to me!"

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Dream, you say that punk is supposed to be rebellous, yet you critisize those that are politcal and are trying to work toward social change, as do most punks. that seems like an ironic contradiction to me.

explain to me how fashion, machismo and partying is counter to the mainstream culture? sounds like a bunch of jocks to me.

punks hate hippies, but the hippies were more about what punk claims to be than punks are. word.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Dream, you say that punk is supposed to be rebellous, yet you critisize those that are politcal and are trying to work toward social change, as do most punks. that seems like an ironic contradiction to me.

explain to me how fashion, machismo and partying is counter to the mainstream culture? sounds like a bunch of jocks to me.

punks hate hippies, but the hippies were more about what punk claims to be than punks are. word.
    You obviously missed my point... I was that way in high school.... I've grown out of that phase.... and when did I mention fashion? All I was saying is that punk isn't as badass as is used to be... I mean, punk is supposed to be fast, loud, dirty... If you wanna be political, go ahead... punk originally was an kneejerk reaction to disco and bloated 70's rock... I think when you get to cavalier about punk rock, you kind of overshoot ur goal... and, yeah, you can't tell me that when ya walk down the street with yer freshly shaved mohawk, bondage pants, buckle boots, and yer spiked leather, you don't feel a bit badass... I think punk has turned a bit hippie as of late.... I dunno... I don't claim to be punk.. ecchhh... the only thing I claim to be is human,and have my doubts about that.... BTW, wow! look how much social change the punks have brought us! Yay... these forums are for expressing opinion and thought, but it seems u keyboard jockeys just sit and wait to pick apart people's threads... Bottom line: punk isn't what it used to be. It has lost it's edge, which I think is partly due to overintellectualizing it... Dig?

I think it's due to underintellectualizing it.

I don't feel like a badass when I walk down the street dressed that way, I feel ridiculous.

I know that punk never started out to be revolutionary, it was just angry youth music and dress. and they did it DIY because they didn't have any other way to di it, but they found out how liberating that is. I think the revolutionary tendencies were always there from the begining, because with any youth movement that potential is there, and I think that they are an insperable part of it just as much as the other stuff. You can't have punk without the things that we can all easily dicern as punkness (and which ahve allowed it to be capitalized upon, unforuntely) but I think that you can't have it either without that underlying thread (after all you can't have anger if there's nothing to be angry about) and it was because they did take that out, that punk suffered.

It just seems that a lot of people have this nostaliga about what punk was, and they say, why isn't it like that today? those that were part of the original punk scene didn't feel any connection to california hardcore. For most people they think that punk died in the 80's, they don't even have a clue that it was even around in the 90's. They just see greenday, but there are people here that lived it and they know what greenday came from. No one knows about the Little Rock arkansas punk scene and what they created.

What all that is to me is a foundation. Sure I was naive, but I don't look back just out of nostalgia for what I did in my local punk scene, I recognize that it was crucial to building the scene I am invovled with today and making my town a place where I like to live in. Whether that is recognized as punk or not, I don't care. I don't rebel against the same things that I did at 16, I've overcome those things. Now I rebel against different things, and that's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I think it's due to underintellectualizing it.

I don't feel like a badass when I walk down the street dressed that way, I feel ridiculous.

I know that punk never started out to be revolutionary, it was just angry youth music and dress. and they did it DIY because they didn't have any other way to di it, but they found out how liberating that is. I think the revolutionary tendencies were always there from the begining, because with any youth movement that potential is there, and I think that they are an insperable part of it just as much as the other stuff. You can't have punk without the things that we can all easily dicern as punkness (and which ahve allowed it to be capitalized upon, unforuntely) but I think that you can't have it either without that underlying thread (after all you can't have anger if there's nothing to be angry about) and it was because they did take that out, that punk suffered.

It just seems that a lot of people have this nostaliga about what punk was, and they say, why isn't it like that today? those that were part of the original punk scene didn't feel any connection to california hardcore. For most people they think that punk died in the 80's, they don't even have a clue that it was even around in the 90's. They just see greenday, but there are people here that lived it and they know what greenday came from. No one knows about the Little Rock arkansas punk scene and what they created.

What all that is to me is a foundation. Sure I was naive, but I don't look back just out of nostalgia for what I did in my local punk scene, I recognize that it was crucial to building the scene I am invovled with today and making my town a place where I like to live in. Whether that is recognized as punk or not, I don't care. I don't rebel against the same things that I did at 16, I've overcome those things. Now I rebel against different things, and that's what it's all about.
    Exactly. Thank you. I guess the scene I was in back in the day wasn't very cohesive, more competitive I guess... I have met some present day punx who are very cool, and active in causes... in fact, a good friend ov mine gave me a copy ov Hunter/Gatherer zine... fuck, I lost it, and now I can't find copies anywhere...

Also, the scene in my town died halfway thru my high school years, and did nothing for this town... this town still sux,,,, there's more of a metal scene here nowadays (Meat Shits, anyone? God, I cant believe they're still around 20 years later)....

I wouldn't sport a 'hawk nowadays, either, but when i had one in my teens, I was, like, one of, like, 4 ppl in the entire town.... I used to get jumped because of it.... but I still felt a sense of pride...

Btw, don't forget about the D.C. scene that was so instrumental in the mid-80's..

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Normal fuckin' people. I hate 'em.
    the normal people are what make that movie so funny....

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

It seems that Punk is alive and well in my part of the world. Read this article about an incident over the weekend. Punk Shit hits the FAN!

I wouldn't sport a 'hawk nowadays, either, but when i had one in my teens, I was, like, one of, like, 4 ppl in the entire town.... I used to get jumped because of it.... but I still felt a sense of pride...
    yeah, you are right there. I have a tendency to forget that things have certainly changed in that regard. There really was a time not all that long ago when mohawks were something that parents didn't want their kids to have. now angelina jolies infant sports one (and even that is dated now!). truth be told that was what I was all about, but it's partly that it's been co-opted and it's mostly that I became too lazy for two hours of hair styling.

BTW, if you're still interested in that Hunter/Gatherer zine you can download a copy of it here: http://www.crimethinc.com/tools/downloads/zines.html

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

You know what happened to punk rock? Johnny Rotten got his own reality TV show...
    The Sex Pistols were as much a calculated media creation as New Kids On The Block. I like some of their tunes, but I like some Monkees tunes too. Gotta take it for what it is.

I think if people just liked what they liked, and didn't assign some sort of morality to their aesthetic choices, we'd have a lot less bullshit. But maybe that would be ignoring much of the power of music (and art in general), especially as a shared experience. Still, subjective opinion is far too often confused with objective truth when we talk about popular music.

One thing that *does* bug me is how we make so many assumptions about the intentions of musicians, often based on emotional associations that are outside of the control of the artists. I could end up hating, say, the Beastie Boys, because I know some jerkoffs who like listening to them, but that's kinda poor logic I think.

I'm saying if you have the same aspirations at 40 that you do at 20, you've learned nothing in the previous 20 years.
    I think you're presenting it as if the aesthetic and the ethos are indivisible and immutable.

Why is fashion even an issue? Liking a particular aesthetic doesn't mean you're automatically embracing a slacker mindset, or that you're doomed to failure in a career sense. Alternately, being successful does not somehow validate your choices and then automagically entitle you to maintain a given aesthetic.

We as a society tend to notice the guy who, at 40, is still on the same plan he was at 20, and spends his time alternately delivering pizza and smoking pot on the couch. However, what's far more common and arguably just as sad are the people who rationalize their compromises for the sake of social validation, and who end up discarding a lot of the things that helped them feel vital and true to themselves.

I'm successful in my career, but I can't imagine putting a single thing to bed because of my age or social perceptions. Not Darkon, not the clothes I wear outside of work...not anything, really.

Like the quote goes, "If you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you've got no heart; but it you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brain." However, if you can't do both in a way that's really resonant with who you are, then you've got no soul.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    the normal people are what make that movie so funny....
    Movie? That's reality baby.

J

+ Reply to Thread