+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite artistic medium

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Your favorite artistic medium

damn...nice work biker, hey man it looks good to me...

Lifestyle.

It usually starts with something visual, personal style-related, but sneaks into many things from there. Concepts become articles of clothing, accessories, body modifications, home decorations and the like. One suggests the next thing that should go with it, and you end up with a 'look', which ends up inspiring what you do with- or seek out in your environment, even into how you approach life itself as ethics flow into aesthetics to complete a picture, accessorize an ideal of beauty.

The choice to balance on the edge of the sidewalk rather than walk normally, or hop a fence to a construction yard and scavenge an end of barbed wire to make something out of rather than buy it in the store - practically, ethically, they may not be of particular virtue, but they can express a mode of personality that adds another dimension to the same whole that includes the clothes you're wearing, the words you choose to read, write or speak, the picture you painted on your wall or even just one you printed because you liked it, the political views you subscribe to. One expression draws attention to the next, gives it context, builds on the impression it left to create a synergetic whole that can be appreciated more than its distinct components. Keep applying your ideals to everything you do, and life itself becomes a more or less uninterrupted roller coaster ride of aesthetic appreciation.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Nice work all. My proffered medium is performance. I drum like a mad-man with marching bass drums and do a lot of sampling and electronic noise, but the focal point of the show is some rather strange spoken word.
    My turn. This is one of the few that reads ok on the page. The others need the delivery.
    Still waters.
    Still skillfully willful. Still standing still. Still teething.
    Still teetering on the brink of an episode, stowed away in the ham-hold.
    Still in the land of the bold and the zesty.
    Still a jest .
    Still a fool.
    Still a pest and a tool.
    Still drooling on your lobster bib, caught in a fib, and still the golden rule.
    Still on a strict diet of carbohydrates and ruffage.
    Still on scout's honor. Still crouching behind the fridge.
    Still in a drawer with the baseball cards and twist-ties.
    Still using hooks and eyes because buttons are too prone to popping.
    Still copping a feel. Still popping a pain pill with every meal.
    Still hanging from a rusty wire.
    Still sitting on the top shelf and you can see yourself your soaking in it.
    Still choking in it,
    and still stoking up the fire.
    Still buzzing and banging and clicking and clucking
    and still stuck in the muck and the mire.
    Still slipping through the crack under the door.
    Still stiff. Still sore.
    Still snoring on the peak in the upper bunk.
    Still a chalky barrium aftertaste.
    Still a broken hiccup.
    Still swingin' on a chain in the brain basin.
    Still chasing your tail.
    Still skipping bail at the wailing wall,
    and still the bear on the ball.

As for visual, I and my wife make these exquisite little puppets. I'll post a pic or two when I get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Lifestyle.

It usually starts with something visual, personal style-related, but sneaks into many things from there. Concepts become articles of clothing, accessories, body modifications, home decorations and the like. One suggests the next thing that should go with it, and you end up with a 'look', which ends up inspiring what you do with- or seek out in your environment, even into how you approach life itself as ethics flow into aesthetics to complete a picture, accessorize an ideal of beauty.

The choice to balance on the edge of the sidewalk rather than walk normally, or hop a fence to a construction yard and scavenge an end of barbed wire to make something out of rather than buy it in the store - practically, ethically, they may not be of particular virtue, but they can express a mode of personality that adds another dimension to the same whole that includes the clothes you're wearing, the words you choose to read, write or speak, the picture you painted on your wall or even just one you printed because you liked it, the political views you subscribe to. One expression draws attention to the next, gives it context, builds on the impression it left to create a synergetic whole that can be appreciated more than its distinct components. Keep applying your ideals to everything you do, and life itself becomes a more or less uninterrupted roller coaster ride of aesthetic appreciation.
    Hell yea! well put. Really, my favorite (or at least most constant) medium is myself and life. Why stop at making art when you can be it. Live it.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

i hate 'artists' they're usually so full of shit. You have to be smart to make art and art is always destructive and deeply philosophical. It is not creative in the typical sense; it is necessarily honest and typically calculated.

There is nothing more appalling to me than the stereotypical 'spontaneous' artist; some turd that takes a photo of his girlfriend shitting in a parrot’s mouth and is too dumb to even realize that he needs other, almost equally dumb people, to reinterpret it for him because in and of itself it means nothing.

Entertainment is creative, and much of what we call art is actually entertainment. Entertainment, a valuable commodity in its own right, is actually given a bad name by those 'artists' who for all intensive purposes are creating entertainment (most of the high arts) and not only refuse to admit that they are entertainers (most are so fucking shit they would never survive in the entertainment industry) but also think that their painting of a shitty beach in Dover is somehow more important than the work of team of guys who just created an entire 3D videogame world.
    Of course these are my opinions only…

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by episode allah
    i hate 'artists' they're usually so full of shit...

... but also think that their painting of a shitty beach in Dover is somehow more important than the work of team of guys who just created an entire 3D videogame world.
    because an imaginary 3D video game world is actually important?

i find it hard to play games after living in the real world for so long... try a first person "shooter" game for real (20 years of combat) then see if you want to play a game... real life IS so much more important than the entertainment/art world (and both my wife and i are in SAG and she is also IATSE and makes a living from the "industry") so while i personally don't like dover beachscapes, i think that all art in its multiple forms are important...

that being said... i agree; the naked/parrot poop picture is not art to me...

i hate 'artists' they're usually so full of shit. You have to be smart to make art and art is always destructive and deeply philosophical. It is not creative in the typical sense; it is necessarily honest and typically calculated.

There is nothing more appalling to me than the stereotypical 'spontaneous' artist; some turd that takes a photo of his girlfriend shitting in a parrot’s mouth and is too dumb to even realize that he needs other, almost equally dumb people, to reinterpret it for him because in and of itself it means nothing.

Entertainment is creative, and much of what we call art is actually entertainment. Entertainment, a valuable commodity in its own right, is actually given a bad name by those 'artists' who for all intensive purposes are creating entertainment (most of the high arts) and not only refuse to admit that they are entertainers (most are so fucking shit they would never survive in the entertainment industry) but also think that their painting of a shitty beach in Dover is somehow more important than the work of team of guys who just created an entire 3D videogame world.
    Wow. That one is so goading I feel almost like a sucker responding to it. Sure, I'll bite.You make a lot of assumptions and definitions. And it seems as though they are being made from somewhere far far away from the actual experience of the people and subject of which you are speaking. I can see hating the things that you've perceived, but don't assume that's the whole of it. You've taken a general example of one unfortunate cross section of commercial "insider" art and used id to generalize an entire subject that reaches in history and concept far beyond anything either one of us understands. You might as well have said "black people like fried chicken"
    or "gay men are effeminate".
    Not all art is entertainment, and, certainly in today's industry, not all entertainment is art. More of an applied science really. Not all music is art, not all painting is art, not all art is art. Art is creative, destructive, reconstructive, deeply philisophical and completely meaningless. Whatever the medium or mentality, it is art when it has juice for someone; be it the artist or the viewer.
    The 3D video game rendering is a mechanical talent that involves artistry. The design that goes into it, usually done by someone else, is employment for an artist. Probably someone with their own artistic endeavors after work.
    (This I acknowledge as a generality and likely not always the case) Neither function is any more or less important unless you consider art to be an evolutionary road map to human understanding (video games not withstanding). Considering yourself more important because you're an artist is more a problem of ego than anything. There's plenty of that to go around in any industry. I'm no more important as an artist than the person who cleans the McToilet. But it's important enough to me to have devoted my life to it.
    And I don't even have a parrot.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

isnt art more to the eyes of the beholder? 3d is a new from of artistic medium, medium that has chance to interact with the user. I belong to a modding forum for the game elder scroll Oblivion. The site displays mods that people have made for this game, for other to enjoy. I take screen shots all the time of landscapes and alot of it is really pretty. I am not way an artist, but i do like to share with others get some feed back be it camera angles or another mod to improve weather, light ect... whatever.

I've thought vaguely similar things in the past, concerning the sheer pretentiousness inherent in many self-proclaimed artists' self-servingly exclusive definitions of 'art'.

You, however, are making the exact same mistake; seeking to abuse the abstract nature of the nonetheless widely glorified concept of 'art' to define it in such a way that those things that you appreciate are elevated above the things you do not.

Certainly, much of the very archetype of the classic artist - the painter who paints random every day sights, for example - has become horribly uncreative, and many people pursue it more because they want to call themselves artists than because they have creative urges they want to express. Art that needs to be labeled 'art' before anyone can begin to appreciate it is fairly worthless, and many creative fields that aren't typically called art and therefore need to stand on their own legs, such as your own example of virtual graphic design, commonly produce things that very much deserve the title.

But calculation is not art, nor is it creative. Rather, the two generally go hand in hand in varying proportions in any process that actually produces something. Determining the formula might be art, testing and improving it, sure, seeking new contexts to apply it in and subjecxts to apply it to, even... But simply having it handed and applying it with predetermined logic to equally predetermined materials? Not really. A team of graphic designers working on a game, at least the lower ranks, are steered not by their imaginations but by demands passed on from the people that pay them - and even the positions that allow more creative freedom, in most games, are told to adhere to a preexisting formula. They may produce some art in what little leeway they are given, but for the most part, they're no more artistic than construction workers following a blueprint.

Art is distinct from science because we need emotion, imagination, to be creative. Science, logic, calculation - these things have many great virtues, but the term 'art' is not merely a measure for generic worthiness. Science can afford to be sober in the realm of the observable, but the closer you get to the theoretical frontiers, the more we see people with creative, spontaneous attitudes succeeding where calculation falls short - and in fact, the scientific method itself had to be established philosophically and creatively where conventional concepts of 'truth' failed.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    because an imaginary 3D video game world is actually important?
    It's important as a piece of entainment if it works successfully as good entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMoses
    it seems as though they are being made from somewhere far far away from the actual experience of the people and subject of which you are speaking.
    Well i don't socialize with artists its true, but i do make/paint things and I still don't call the things I create art. Art is not about making things which look or sound good; those things deserve to be credited as entertainment. True art is made when the individual recognises how vulnerable it is and still digs so deep inside its own skull that it hurts like fucking hell. You have to burn to shine.

You've taken a general example of one unfortunate cross section of commercial "insider" art and used id to generalize an entire subject that reaches in history and concept far beyond anything either one of us understands.
    Actually my example was just sarcasm, i generally hate all 'art on canvas' equally, be it velasquez, rembrandt, vermeer or hopper and to be perfectly honest, if i was going to buy a painting for my wall, I’d probably buy that parrot one I described earlier or at least something from the 20th Century. Of course theres also stuff that i don't hate, like the music i listen to, and it still pisses me off that I can't change the title 'artists' to 'entertainers' in my ipod.

Not all art is entertainment, and, certainly in today's industry, not all entertainment is art. More of an applied science really. Not all music is art, not all painting is art, not all art is art. Art is creative, destructive, reconstructive, deeply philisophical and completely meaningless. Whatever the medium or mentality, it is art when it has juice for someone; be it the artist or the viewer.
    I guess my problem is that i assume (and i'm seriously thinking maybe i should reconsider this) that ART is the highest praise you can give to anything and thats why i don't think that art can be meaningless. Entertainment can be meaningless so long as it passes the time but art can't. And all those songs with 'oh so vague and metaphorical' lyrics eventually mean nothing either, they just sounded good. Well anyway, i generally agree with what you're saying. I just wanted to argue the other side, be the devils advocate so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus88
    isnt art more to the eyes of the beholder?
    I tend to agree with this statement but only in an admittedly elitist way; that is, what’s art to the idiot is rubbish to the genius. Of course if that’s true, all of us ordinary people look like apes from above.

You, however, are making the exact same mistake; seeking to abuse the abstract nature of the nonetheless widely glorified concept of 'art' to define it in such a way that those things that you appreciate are elevated above the things you do not.
    I probably am. But I appreciate a variety of things and a lot of them are what other people consider to be art and as much as like them, thats not what i call them.

But calculation is not art, nor is it creative. Rather, the two generally go hand in hand in varying proportions in any process that actually produces something. Determining the formula might be art, testing and improving it, sure, seeking new contexts to apply it in and subjecxts to apply it to, even... But simply having it handed and applying it with predetermined logic to equally predetermined materials?.
    When I said 'calculation' I meant more like the artist 'setting a course' for the heart of the sun and fighting tooth and nail to get there, even if he doesn't come out the same on the other side. Predetermined logic is definitely the biggest obstacle to art.

Art is distinct from science because we need emotion, imagination, to be creative.
    I would say that science is 'creative' (at least in way that you intend the word). It is after all a reimagining of the world.

Science, logic, calculation - these things have many great virtues, but the term 'art' is not merely a measure for generic worthiness.
    you've really made me think about this one.

Science can afford to be sober in the realm of the observable, but the closer you get to the theoretical frontiers, the more we see people with creative, spontaneous attitudes succeeding where calculation falls short - and in fact, the scientific method itself had to be established philosophically and creatively where conventional concepts of 'truth' failed.
    True science is not as rigid as you seem to make out. If science and math’s could explain art the explanation would be worth more than all the art in the universe combined. And it can, our maths just isn’t that good yet. As you've said, Science has its roots in philosophy (philosophy is Aristotle’s 'first science') but I reject your notion that somehow art is closer to philosophy than science is (this is how I read you anyway). Both philosophy and science try to explain the same principles except that one uses a much more concise and sophisticated language, so concise and accurate in fact that we are not intelligent enough to utilize it extensively.

What is generally considered art is not philosophy, it is the exact opposite, it is an attempt to escape reality in a cowardly, mediocre and worthless way. People reach up to the stars to feel special and unique not realizing that there’s shit running down their legs. As our science grows and grows, the realm of art will shrink and shrink as it is explained away as (at best) disguised entertainment (again I want to reiterate that I hold entertainment in high esteem). Everything that’s happening right now can be explained with maths but the longest book in the world couldn't explain the tip of my cock (!).

I have to say that you make some great points and i appreciate your reply.

No, that pretty much is my point. Science requires creativity to be effective, but that creative aspect is not what makes it science, not part of its defining characteristics. The scientific method provides a structure for reasoning and research to take and proves that when reasoning and research takes this structure, it is useful to us. Practical sciences concerning observable phenomena can get away with looking at existing mechanics and working by process of elimination to come up with hypotheses, but cutting-edge theoretical stuff often has to grasp completely in the dark, relying largely on imagination to try and explain a mechanic of which only the tiniest symptoms are observable.

This kind of creativity is the only creativity humanity is capable of; the mind takes two or more things it knows but does not yet associate, and places them together into an 'idea' because the combined concept matches some criteria we find desirable. We perceive this process as subconscious and 'spontaneous' by neurological mechanic, because it is distinct from other modes of thought that we can follow as they happen and thus more easily subject to deliberation. The artist's mindset is to train this function of our minds, stimulate it through practise by paying attention to odd impulses and insights despite the fact that they are not the conclusions of a methodologically sound effort to create a product of value. (which finally explains how the point that science requires creativity was intended to contradict yours, as you seemed to think little of this 'artists mindset')

Inductively, this is surprisingly effective, and like many 'artists' I can testify to a noticeable process of mental 'expansion' and each indulgement of a creative urge increases the rate at which new ones are conceived. Deductively, well, I'm certain psychology and neurology will explain it eventually, and I even think that if I sat down for it I could make a fairly decent start on the simpler levels. But the eventual reducibility of the phenomenon does not make it less 'art', which seems to be a term people are inspired to use predominantly by the experience of the process - something that is currently entirely distinct from (and by otherwise functional logical intuition, frustratingly incompatible with) our scientific understanding of anything.

And if art is in the experience, then you're not far from the money by describing it as entertainment, as it is certainly pleasant and satisfying - but entertainment implies that pleasantness is the purpose, as well as a certain passivity on the part of an 'audience', which is not entirely in line with the function and experience of art.

Also, glad you appreciated my post; I enjoyed reading, thinking on and responding to yours. (I tend to lose track of the social function of posts in favor of their expressive one, but neglecting nicities tends to unfavoribly sway perception and ends up hindering the communication that makes expression meaningful. blablabla, babble babble bitch bitch...)

Madam Yummi's Avatar Member

I like to work with plaster. I like to make dolls and various other knick knacks out of wire, news papers and stips of plaster. Of course, more then half of them never actually get finished.

Art is subjective.
    Its the manifestation of one's soul by means of expression.

Just like each person jives differently with various personalities of others...
    Each person reacts differently to different forms of art.

No one makes everyone happy all the time.

So what makes anyone think that all art is created equal.

OR that certain methods that are superior to others.

Its NOT THE DIFFICULTY in which the art is created that determines art's value, but rather the depth the art resonates in someone's soul.

I'm a photography girl! And a bit of writing.

I absolutely LOVE photography

I'm SO excited. I'm getting the materials ready to do a new mosaic!!!
    I'm allowing the creative energy to well up... and pull me into a direction I should take for my next piece.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Will u be posting pics? Or is that the dumbest question ever?
    Can't wait to see it though

I think I've showed this somewhere before, but this is something I made a few yrs ago out of an irish whiskey bottle. I grew those flowers too, the blue ones are some of my most favorite flowers ever.... they're white throated (birds eye) Lobelias. The red ones are perennial dianthus.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Will u be posting pics? Or is that the dumbest question ever?
    Can't wait to see it though
    HA! I must have read your mind. I didnt know you wrote that message until after I'd posted the other pics.

THEN and only THEN did I see that you posted that.

I most definitely WILL.

You're a sweetheart.

You should sell that shit. I'd buy it.

Awwww. thats SO sweet!!!

Would you like a custom piece?

http://sinead.carbonmade.com/
    http://www.babysinead.com/category/my-photography

Please note lots of NSFW pics as I loooove naked girls and boys.
    Here are some teasers:

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I have started writing music again.
    Well, music tabs cos I cant read the proper stuff

Tabs are just as legit. If you think of it this way, maybe they're more so legit, because more ppl recognize and read them than actual notes.

That wat I say, but every new musician I meet are all like "You cant raed music and youve been playing the bass for 2 and a half years? You suck!"

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I can only read tabs. I can't read music notes. I say screw those music snobs. Do your own thing. Fuck 'em. You really believe that every single famous musician can read notes? Think again.

Thats right.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

yeah..do what you want.. if people dont like it dont worry about it..if you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Music is about heart, not about book skill.
    Do you think all the great musicians could read?

(this is beside the point... but I just heard the song "Betty Davis Eyes" on TV, and after reading the misheard/mistaken lyrics suggestion.... NOW the song title says "She's got better days aside")

... that's all I hear now.

Well i don't socialize with artists its true, but i do make/paint things and I still don't call the things I create art. Art is not about making things which look or sound good; those things deserve to be credited as entertainment. True art is made when the individual recognises how vulnerable it is and still digs so deep inside its own skull that it hurts like fucking hell. You have to burn to shine.

Actually my example was just sarcasm, i generally hate all 'art on canvas' equally, be it velasquez, rembrandt, vermeer or hopper and to be perfectly honest, if i was going to buy a painting for my wall, I’d probably buy that parrot one I described earlier or at least something from the 20th Century. Of course theres also stuff that i don't hate, like the music i listen to, and it still pisses me off that I can't change the title 'artists' to 'entertainers' in my ipod.

I guess my problem is that i assume (and i'm seriously thinking maybe i should reconsider this) that ART is the highest praise you can give to anything and thats why i don't think that art can be meaningless. Entertainment can be meaningless so long as it passes the time but art can't. And all those songs with 'oh so vague and metaphorical' lyrics eventually mean nothing either, they just sounded good. Well anyway, i generally agree with what you're saying. I just wanted to argue the other side, be the devils advocate so to speak.
    Haven't had time to reply to this when I wanted to. Sorry if it's a little stale. I initially took offense to your original post on the issue. I thought it was a bit like going on a sports thread and saying "I hate jocks, they're all big and stupid." I can definately see where you're coming from, but there is definately a disparity between art and entertainment, or art and craft. I know this first hand, but the line can be fuzzy. Going to a gallery to see art is a form of entertainment, but as for whether or not the art itself is Art has more to do with the artist.
    At the core of each of us is an ever expanding ball of juice. It's a different kind of juice for everyone, but it's still juice. If you don't let off some of this juice now and then you can get a juice back-up. You don't want a juice back-up. Unfortunately it happens all the time.
    Surrounding this ball of juice is a thick layer of muscle. This is what holds the juice in and controls its release. Otherwise it would just spill out all over the place get everyone all sticky, and you wouldn't have any juice left. All over this layer are tiny spincters able to open and close to release juice at a safe rate. You open a sphincter, juice comes out, pressure is released. Aahhh! What opens the sphincters is often some sort of outside stimulus, i.e. a pair of pants you like, a haircut, a tattoo, saying hi to a friend or fuck-off to a bitchy bus driver, or making Art.
    Now the ball of juice is also sectioned, like an orange. There's bigger sections and smaller ones. Some with green juice, some with blue juice, and some with a foul smelling juice that nobody apreciates. There might be a pair of pants section, or a playing the bass section or even a "I like to dress up as a stufed animal and fuck myself with vegetables" section. We don't know why certain sphincters respond favorably to some stimulus and clench tightly when faced with others, (Our laboratories findings on this subject are as yet inconclusive) we just know that they do. It's a matter of personal taste as to which of these sphincters should get a good work out and which would be best left alone.
    The main reason that the juice is quantitatively ever-expanding is that the spincters also accept juices from the world around them. The music that you listen to is giving you juice that you willingly accept because, for some reason, you have a sphincter that naturally relaxes to receive it. Then some music has the opposite effect. Brittney Spears makes my sphincter tighten up like a naked scrotum in January.
    Performance is my favorite artistic medium because I get to open many sphincters at once (and some of the bigger ones too) and release a lot of strange juice that I don't get rid of easily in my daily life without loosing friends. At the same time that juice is being received by a room full of willing sphincters who are in turn relenquishing some of their juice back to me. It's a reciprical juice exchange. I have had shows where I was juicing up the place and nobody was taking it in. The end of the night found juice everywhere and me just feeling drained.
    In all, art is where the juice is. I think what often defines Art is how much juice is involved. A large portion of the entertainment industry is a mass juice producer, piping out gallons of it right into your home, but it's mostly little spurts of it all at the same time. Some of it is artistic, some of it is art. Most of it is formulaic and calculated. Some of the art world is simply craft to the person that made it but art to the person who observes it. I find art in the broken handcuff I found on the train tracks, or the odd collection of normal looking keys that have shown up in my house over the last few years (I don't even know what they go to). And then some of it is made by someone who, in doing so, found art to be what accesses the particular sphincters that make them feel alive.
    Jeez, I meant to respond to specifics in your other posts but got a bit carried away. I've got puppet pics coming, though. And some pin-up stuff too. Just figuered out the pictures thing.

so yeah..i wrote another one..thought i'd put it on here too..comments plz?

#65- Drift part 4

Hey, how have you been?
    Probably still the same
    Not that I really care anymore
    What do you want me to say?
    What existed yesterday can not exist today
    (Just run away)

I guess I should feel bad
    well, I don't
    Save your small talk
    Call me what you want
    It doesn't matter
    No, I don't give a fuck

Drift - I'm not surprised [8x]

Do not pass go
    Do not collect two hundred dollars
    Oh, you found a house [3x]

Drift - I'm not surprised [8x]

Now dude
    Bringer of medicine
    Probably a better architect
    Not that I care
    None of my business

Drift- perhaps a bit awkward [8x]

I just wanna know
    Where did you go?
    Was it something I said?
    Something inside your head?
    Maybe this is best
    Now I put this to rest

Drift - perhaps a bit awkward [8x]

Everything must come to an end
    I've seen it before
    And I'll see it again

Bridges aflame again
    And I'm the one to blame again

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    I like it.
    thanks

Nice. Got music to it?

Puppets! Have made thousands by now, my wife and I, as Puppet Meat Market. Started as a craft, more as toymakers than artists. The more we did them the more they became art.

Nicklno The Fool

The Martyr

Juast a couple older ones. Our newer stuff has gotten a lot more complicated with envronments and mechanics.

+ Reply to Thread