+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Macrantha Spider Pictures

Default Macrantha Spider Pictures

This type of spider reminds me of Pinhead on Hellraiser. This specimen is a pregnant female.

Default Re: Macrantha Spider Pictures

I got a pic to work yesterday, I dont know why these didnt work today.
    *shrugs*

I hope you enjoy these pics I took.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

wow. awesome spider and great detail.

i guess that's an SLR you use? what kind?

I've never seen a spider like that outside before.

Someday I want to check out a mouse spider in Australia.

My camera is a Sony Cyber-Shot F828

I love it. My favorite thing about it, is that it makes images look most like the eye sees things.
    I usually increase the color saturation, and contrast. And crop.

Its an 8 mega pixel... but I am most happy with the way the pics come out at 5mp.

This is one of my fave pics I've ever taken. I took it a couple of weeks back.

Please click on the picture to view the biggest version.

Natur is so beautifull. Nice pictures and lame placed copyright Don't blaim me for honesty

By the way, there's something about the last picture with waterdrops. When you look at the drops and thn focus on copyright suroundings tilt a bit. Either my eyes are tired (overworked today) or the picture is dimensional...

Can I be a bitch and say to train on composition?

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

Wow, nice shots! You can see the serrations on that leave.

I got my camera in 2004, but I didnt start using it until around Oct. 2006... I didnt get serious with it until about 6 months ago.

I can take criticism. The reason I add the copyright in different places, thats untraditional, for two main reasons. One, I like to make it part of the pic, and not draw unwanted attn to it, TWO, Certain pics I take, like the orchid ones, people selling a similar one on ebay will search out orchid pics and steal them to sell their product. I add my copyright close to the flower to keep it from being able/noticeable if removed. A lot of orchid growers who take pics of the plant do that.

It doesnt make you a bitch to suggest training, you're just picking up on the fact that I've never had any sort of formal training whatsoever. AND if you're really trying to steer me in the correct direction... thats something to be appreciated.

SO, if you have any pointers, feel free to let me know.
    I've got thick enough skin for that.

Besides, art is subjective. Everyone has their own taste....
    I'm just happy that I get to share some stuff with some ppl.

Orchid pic example

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

very nice ... where did you take those spider pictures?

At my grand mother's house. No one's lived there since she died in '97. In Salyersville Kentucky.

Thank you for your appreciation.

I took the orchid pics in Florida. The one that looks similar to an octopus came from the wilderness in Belize. I knew an 'orchid wrangler' who had a permit to go in and remove orchids before building sites could begin development.

This one I had was a one of a kind, it had crossed with something else, making it smaller than normal anachileum cochleata's (also known as encyclia cochleata) It was definitely one of a kind, but during my mishap in Florida, and my monster in law watering it for meanness against my polite orders, it got a fungal disease from the garden hose and chlorine damage, and it died.

Orchids like this one are known as epiphyte... they grow on trees and dont require dirt... they receive the cleanest water source, without the ground bacteria and fungus' contamination.
    They're super sensitive to ground germs. I went from having close to 100 orchids to less than ten.
    They're the reason I bought the expensive camera in the first place. Why have exotic orchids, and NOT be able to adequately document them?!!!

hmm, i see...you know alot about plants, eh?

I have a green thumb no doubt. TOO bad I cant grow some of the illegal ones ... I could kick some copious amounts of ass!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    I have a green thumb no doubt. TOO bad I cant grow some of the illegal ones ... I could kick some copious amounts of ass!
    it only illegal if you get caught....i mean..>_>

Where I live right now, I'd get caught, but where I used to live, all my plants got ....de-budded.

I can grow the hell outta ... other stuff as well, as you know... the walls have eyes, and if you use my email, I'll go into greater depth. If you wanna know it just ask.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

OK, a house just sitting there? Too bad there's no IT work nearby...

I have no plants growing outside other than my orchids that have made the exodus to my porch....

oh, and something growing under the front of my porch that isnt weed, but something I'll only divulge thru email.... it'll take a yr to bloom anyway... I hope to goodness I'm not HERE by then.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Ekk! That spider would scare the hell out of me. But it is pretty neat looking.

Thank you SS. One got in my dog's ear, and it caused infection to pour out of his ears, and all of the skin shedded off in hunks. That was serious vet bill.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

That spider looks like a Giger creation!

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    Thank you SS. One got in my dog's ear, and it caused infection to pour out of his ears, and all of the skin shedded off in hunks. That was serious vet bill.
    How sad, I bet that was scary. I hope your dog is alright though.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Holy crap those photos are good. I have a Cybershot as well, but I'm no photographer.

Someone poisoned my dog. He died back in '97. I've had three dogs to get poisoned all together, the most recent died in February. Horrible.

BP, thank you SO SO SO much for your compliments!! The Cybershot is a tricky camera. I'm still on training wheels, using all the auto settings.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/f828.html

That tells a lot about it, and has links (if searched in that site) that tells in depth how to use the camera, I just found out how in depth it goes ... TODAY.

I've referenced this site to show ppl what it looks like, if curious... but its also informative to those of us (*ME) who've lost the book, or need better instructions on how to use it, in plain english.

That spider's going to give me nightmares, I bet. It reminds me of the walking statue thing from Beetlejuice.

I hate that it will give you nightmares, but I love that you've commented on it at all..... I'm a new artist that relishes everything about the entire process....

To be completely honest, it freaked me OUT too, because it was on a web meant that it was on a web and not jumping out at me .... thats why I captured it...

Someone recently said to me, Isnt it amazing that something THAT small can make us feel so vulnerable!!!!

Thank you to everyone that cared enough to post in this thread, I'm a new photographer, and it encourages me to keep it up !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicotine
    That spider's going to give me nightmares, I bet. It reminds me of the walking statue thing from Beetlejuice.
    Beetlejuice rawks!!! Thx!

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i think your spider photos are some varient of the Micrathena genus. most likely a spined micrathena - Species Micrathena gracilis. the colours seem a bit off from the ones i found in a book tho. it did direct me to the right genus, and i did a google search from there. led me to this site(one of many): http://bugguide.net/node/view/1996/bgpage

From what I've seen in the hills, those are normal spider color variations of the kind of spider.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to clear that up.
    I can see how I got the names confused... Micranthena is a bit like Macrantha ... the later is a type of orchid I never owned... but find fascinating as well.
    (I think all orchids for the most part look like sexual organs OR ailens or the combo of the two.)

Thank you so much aXa!! You really hooked me up with an awesome link, I dig that stuff.
    I've got a pic of one of these too.
    Somewhere. I'll be sure to share when I dig it up.
    Arrow-shaped Micrathena - Micrathena sagittata
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/92645/bgpage

Once again, thank you so much.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, np. i have a "field guide" to spiders and insects that i looked it up in. oddly, it only had the arrow-shaped versions, not the gacilis. which really pisses me off, cuz i got the book assuming it would list all the spiders known to inhabit north america.

the bug guide site did have a few pics of the spined version that had similar, dark colouration. but none of the photos on their site were as good as yours in showing the true hue of the spider. they mostly looked black or dark brown.

I took this pic around the same time I took the others...pictured above...
    It was taken during the time I used to hang out at the Project 86 forums... and I took a line from one of their songs, and added it to my pic.
    I'm tickled to death that I now have names that fit my spiders.
    Thats ONE of the reasons that I associated it with something else...
    because something that was so kewl to me lacked ... a certain amount of identity.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    yeah, np. i have a "field guide" to spiders and insects that i looked it up in. oddly, it only had the arrow-shaped versions, not the gacilis. which really pisses me off, cuz i got the book assuming it would list all the spiders known to inhabit north america.

the bug guide site did have a few pics of the spined version that had similar, dark colouration. but none of the photos on their site were as good as yours in showing the true hue of the spider. they mostly looked black or dark brown.
    I had no idea that Brown Widows existed... until I got to Florida, and they look like ordinary brown house spiders... only their hour glass is orange...
    There was one housed in our community mail box in the front part... not disturbed by the mail man when he put the large packages in the back.

I'd received a package... and was getting ready to insert the key, when I almost ran into the spider... I went weak in the knees when I saw the hourglass, and was full of confusion.

According to what I've read, they're not as poisonous as the Black Widows...
    But they'll still cause the person who's bitten to get sick.

My best friend, Tara, that died of a heart attack at 28, her mom, got bitten by a brown recluse on the face right near her lips.
    She only left the house for a yr and a half to go to the dr to receive treatments, and had to pack the area with gauze and stuff... She's barely got a noticeable scar on the side of her mouth's corner... but shes still got skin discoloration.
    NO ONE sees her without her make up EVER.

I had another friend, who got drunk at his sister's house, and fell asleep in the floor by the fireplace (it was spring, so they were still using it if the temp dropped low enough, allowing the spider to either come in on the firewood, or thru the chimney...but he got bit on the ass cheek and has a HORRIBLE scar.... he didnt get the expensive treatment that Tara's mom got.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

all hourglass spiders scaare the crap out of me.

when i was seriously nervous around(note: not phobic) i was OK with the bigger ones. just the small ones and the long legged ones.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Not a great picture, but it's got a spider and a flower.

on another note. i wish i had a camera last yeear. i found one of these, though the light was perfect and at a good angle to the sun to really show it off, the greens and yellows looked a heck of a lot more vivid.

Wasp Spider

Headless Bill, thank you for sharing, I like the contrasting colors of the purple, yellow and black.

Those wasp spider's webs with the zig zag in the middle always reminded me of panty hose for some reason.

Headwreck, I feel your pain. Isnt that the worst thing... to NOT have a camera at the inspired opportune moment?!!

That caption is true, and funny as hell.
    My son found a tick in the house today. It had gotten in thru the back door where it was left a bit cracked open to run out an extension cord.

I used to have a black widow as a pet ... not pet as in petting it...
    But I caught one to study it... I kept it in a glass quart jar for a few days until dad found out I had it, and killed it.

When my brother was a baby, one had gotten into our house and was inches away from him crawling in the floor.

When my kids were little, we went over to moms, and they were hiding behind a chair playing hide and seek... and one was nested between the wall and the bricks...
    They were also inches away from it.
    There's a whole lot of spiders in Ky.

I thought I had a pic of the brown widow with the hourglass showing... It must be still on my laptop with the fried power supply.

I did find these though. This was the Brown Widow I talked about earlier.

Does anyone know what the spider was chomping on?

a friend moved from Michigan to Florida and noticed the increase of spiders then. I'm glad i live in a mild climate where the nasties cant survive.

+ Reply to Thread