do you beave in them?

Default Re: demons

If you mean Believe, then Yes.

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

very much so

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I have a friend who claims he is a demon, and his brother says he is a vampire.
    Who knows.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    If you mean Believe, then Yes.
    yes that's what i was trying to ask. bad spelling day. sorry

so do they mess with our lives?

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

no, unless you let them

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna
    so do they mess with our lives?
    Depends on the Demon that is in question.************

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I have to. I have Two. Well, three if you count my mom, which would make me part demon, I suppose. So, yes, I believe in Demons. Now if you're talking about Gremlins that screw with peoples' lives and waht not, definitly. Even if I've never seen one up close.
    K

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

Even if you don't believe in a "supernatural" demon, there are demons in humanity all around us. I believe that our own actions tend to conjure up demons and plague our lives with shit until we resolve our negativities; or we decide to play with them.

Dead_Fukin_Last's Avatar Member

<----- By demons be driven~~~~~

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

there under the bed..

Quote Originally Posted by SUSIEQ502
    Even if you don't believe in a "supernatural" demon, there are demons in humanity all around us. I believe that our own actions tend to conjure up demons and plague our lives with shit until we resolve our negativities; or we decide to play with them.
    Well, Emotions, thoughts, etc do Create Demons inadverdtantly (Bah, needs spell checker.).

Maybe not in the supernatural sense, but definitely metaphorical/psychological - as in 'he was struggling with his demons'--
    also like the Harpies in Greek Mythology- as one encyclopedia called them 'personified vengeance'-- P.

Quote Originally Posted by pedar
    Maybe not in the supernatural sense, but definitely metaphorical/psychological - as in 'he was struggling with his demons'--
    also like the Harpies in Greek Mythology- as one encyclopedia called them 'personified vengeance'-- P.
    And what is more real to us than our own psychological state? I know of a few people who saw the same shadow-like entities running around their rooms as children, my son sees them too. Part of me says its a coded defense in us to make us stay still and not be prey to some predator, like animals in the wild. Another part of me says,"Fuck yeah, that was a demon in my room"

I believe in vapires

actually I know a few

And what is more real to us than our own psychological state? I know of a few people who saw the same shadow-like entities running around their rooms as children, my son sees them too. Part of me says its a coded defense in us to make us stay still and not be prey to some predator, like animals in the wild. Another part of me says,"Fuck yeah, that was a demon in my room"
    Yes - 'coded defense' is right..and that's what many scholars are now looking at in terms of the origins of religion...Go to Amazon and look up Walter Burkett's books- 'Creation of the Sacred' , etc..P.

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

Quote Originally Posted by publicharakiri
    I believe in vapires
    vampires?

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I have to. I have Two. Well, three if you count my mom, which would make me part demon, I suppose. So, yes, I believe in Demons. Now if you're talking about Gremlins that screw with peoples' lives and waht not, definitly. Even if I've never seen one up close.
    K
    aren't gremlins just one kind of demon? i'm pritty sure your mom's not a really demon. just a mom. sometimes it's the same thing.

Yes - 'coded defense' is right..and that's what many scholars are now looking at in terms of the origins of religion...Go to Amazon and look up Walter Burkett's books- 'Creation of the Sacred' , etc..P.
    Thanks for the tip. I've always thought that there has to be a physical reason why so many people have such faith in something that there is no proof of. Not just Christianity, ALL OF IT. I guess I'm just wired different.

Thanks for the tip. I've always thought that there has to be a physical reason why so many people have such faith in something that there is no proof of. Not just Christianity, ALL OF IT. I guess I'm just wired different.

Well said, I agree.

Yes, Burkett's getting a lot of attention because he's studied domination and food sharing rituals among primates- and that might've been the beginning of what later became what we call 'religion'--look at those Sumerian Babylonian pictures of prisoners showing submission to the conquerors--
    P.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Faith is a complicated answer that science and scholors have been trying centuries to explain...but it's like human will...even when one should be broken they continue. Faith is like hope...you don't need proof...you just need to believe in it.

It's a personal thing that most care little to explain since it really can't be explained. Faith is funny like that...

As far as the original question goes...not in the traditional sense of creatures but I we all have inner demons that are much more devestating.

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna
    aren't gremlins just one kind of demon? i'm pritty sure your mom's not a really demon. just a mom. sometimes it's the same thing.
    I thought 'gremlins' were something dating from around WW II--supposedly creatures who would cause damage to planes when there was no explanation..this was immortalized in the famous Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner..P.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I don't think i believe any of it anymore. But i'm not sure. I've been too burned out by religion to try and figure it all out just yet. I'm still on hiatus.

~Histrionica~

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/deliri...demon_list.asp

A web page listing almost every demon known to man...
    Including the one from which I took My screen Name...

I have read a lot of the stuff on this page..AndI havent even got started good..There is a lot of Info here...

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Asmodeus - Prince of Lust and Vengeance. Always a personal favourite of mine!

If you look into the origins of demons, you'll find another example of a more ancient (and more sophisticated) concept absorbed and then - appropriately enough - demonised by the Christians.

In this case 'daimons' (there are several alternate spellings) were believed by some Ancient Greeks to be morally ambivalent incorporeal spirits that could possess mortals to either good or bad effect.

One of the few surviving versions of this are the Muses - feminine entities that provide artistic inspiration. If you think about it, it's actually a reasonable attempt to explain inspiration. As you're staring at a blank page or canvass, just what is it that conjures those creative - or indeed destructive - ideas as if from nowhere? A form of benevolent possession is as good an idea as any to explain that 'Eureka!' moment.

I guess I just believe that I am responsible for my life. When something goes right, I don't "Thank God" because I do what is necessary for things to go right. When shit goes wrong, even when I did right, I don't blame demons or "God's Will". I just say hey, that that doesn't kill me, only makes me smarter. Besides deaths of my friends, everything BAD that has ever happened to me, has always turned out to be good in the long run.
    So Fuck Demons
    I am the demon
    Or maybe not....and I'm gettin' taken to hell tonight...oh shit

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i used to think asmodeus named himself after the psychobilly band from amsterdam with the same name.

as far as deamons go there must be something in my life which causes horrible luck on my part whis is one of the reasons i dont gamble or get to excited about anything because something always goes wrong. Altho sometimes this bad luck of mine ends up with some prety funny results. I dont know if its a deamon that causes my bad luck but it could be something else like a troll or a hobgoblin

I thought 'gremlins' were something dating from around WW II--supposedly creatures who would cause damage to planes when there was no explanation..this was immortalized in the famous Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner..P.
    good to know. i'm still learning all this stuff that's why i ask.

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i used to think asmodeus named himself after the psychobilly band from amsterdam with the same name.

as far as deamons go there must be something in my life which causes horrible luck on my part whis is one of the reasons i dont gamble or get to excited about anything because something always goes wrong. Altho sometimes this bad luck of mine ends up with some prety funny results. I dont know if its a deamon that causes my bad luck but it could be something else like a troll or a hobgoblin
    i feel that same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    Asmodeus - Prince of Lust and Vengeance. Always a personal favourite of mine!

If you look into the origins of demons, you'll find another example of a more ancient (and more sophisticated) concept absorbed and then - appropriately enough - demonised by the Christians.

In this case 'daimons' (there are several alternate spellings) were believed by some Ancient Greeks to be morally ambivalent incorporeal spirits that could possess mortals to either good or bad effect.
    ? A form of benevolent possession is as good an idea as any to explain that 'Eureka!' moment.

What abt Azrael? I recall him as a character in the Batman mythos-P.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

What abt Azrael? I recall him as a character in the Batman mythos-P.
    Probably referring to the demon Azazel.

By the way, about that Delerium site - it's interesting and intensive, but the use of the word "magick" always makes me shudder and become instantly wary.

But that's just me, after all my experiences i am so sceptical i'm sure it annoys most believers.

~Histrionica~

Scarlett1313's Avatar Member

I do believe that they can come into our lives if you let them know that you are afraid and they can take advantage...I study the paranormal...more of your ghost research and such, but sometimes ghosts are mistaken for a more demonic relation and it can get pretty out of hand. There are so many studies and many times people have been hurt in the process...like an excorsim that hasn't been conducted right. I am def not your everyday historian on this subject, but I do know some part to which led me to say that I do believe, but I don't believe until it has happened to me. I am not like that with ghost activity, because it is more likely to happen, cus of the earths and souls energy. Skeptic or not....I couldn't say, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Histrionica

By the way, about that Delerium site - it's interesting and intensive, but the use of the word "magick" always makes me shudder and become instantly wary.

But that's just me, after all my experiences i am so sceptical i'm sure it annoys most believers.

~Histrionica~
    Yes I know what you mean-- I've met some Wiccans who get very offended if you express any kind of skepticism abt their 'magick' , etc..P.

I am a solitary wiccan/pagan witch and I am very open minded...=), just thought I would share that. Acutally, that is one of the main reasons why I do not belong to a coven.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett1313
    I am a solitary wiccan/pagan witch and I am very open minded...=), just thought I would share that. Acutally, that is one of the main reasons why I do not belong to a coven.
    Well glad to hear it.. I didn't want to smear all Wiccans at all..but I had at least one really bad experience with one practitioner--because actually I do know quite a bit abt 'real' historical paganism..given that I studied it for years and am currently writing a children's book that touches on it..
    P.

Hey no biggie...i totally understand and trust me I have had MANY of my own weird run-in's! good luck with the book.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Histrionica

~Histrionica~
    I think it was LaVey who said something to the effect that anyone who spells magic with a 'k' isn't, and in my experience that's on the money. Crowley introduced the convention to distinguish between conjuring and 'the real deal'. (Also, typically for Crowley, the 'k' was also associated with female genitalia in his eyes.) The trouble is that the distinction between stage magic and 'occult' magic isn't as clear cut as the Beast would have you believe. All of history's best known sorcerers - Crowley included - were a curious blend of con man and conjuror, with just enough dark, inexplicable mystery about them to invalidate any accusations that they were frauds.

Azrael and Azazel are both demons of a sort. Azrael is the Angel of Death, while Azazel is a demon associated with air and goats, especially the 'scapegoat' chased out to die in the desert carrying the sins of the tribe with it according to Hebraic tradition.

+ Reply to Thread