+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nerdy attempt to start conversation

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

Default Nerdy attempt to start conversation

The board's been a little quiet recently, and since I have poor social skills,
    I'm posting a thread about The Hobbit in an effort to get people talking.
    (Sad and nerdy, but I'm trying).

Since I saw (the epic) trailer for the movie, I've started reading The Lord of The Rings
    again. I'm halfway through the Two Towers and it's taken me about 2 weeks. I
    like to re-read the books a couple of times a year, because I think they're a masterpiece
    and I'm amazed at how much Tolkien put into them.

And although I think the books are much better than the movies, the movies are
    fucking incredible too. (Although the slight variations from the books irk me a little).

So...humor me and discuss this with me.

Linkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSoD4BBCJc

Default Re: Nerdy attempt to start conversation

I think I read the trilogy twice, and the Hobbit and the Silmarillion once each... the last time must've been almost ten years ago. They impressed me well enough back then, but I haven't had the urge to go digging on the memory, even after the movies. Classic fantasy seems... tame, to me, these days.

I'll probably download and watch the Hobbit when it comes out, but I'm expecting it to be an entertaining way to spend a couple of lazy hours, not one of those things that melts into your cultural frame of reference and subtly changes your perception of beauty forever after... I wonder what happened to mine, that I feel that way now.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Eh, I can't sit still in a movie theater seat for 3+ hours, so, it's hard for me to get excited. Also, considering I'm not currently dating anyone, it's not likely I'll have any reason to go see it. I'll probably take 3 days to watch it after it comes out on DVD.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I didn't know they were making the hobbit....the other three movies were really good, especially with the extended cuts even though a lot of the story was left out......even the parts that were sort of made up for the movie were alright, a while ago some people made this fan movie that I thought was quite alright

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x93...ion_shortfilms

I do remember a long time ago when I first read the books wondering about that

But yeah, I don't bother much with the movies anymore but I think I will go check this one out

But yeah, I like those books.....hopefully I'll get to reading them another time or two before I fall over

Sierras's Avatar Pervert extraordinaire
    I've moved so many times I'm not so sure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    I didn't know they were making the hobbit....the other three movies were really good, especially with the extended cuts even though a lot of the story was left out......even the parts that were sort of made up for the movie were alright, a while ago some people made this fan movie that I thought was quite alright

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x93...ion_shortfilms

I do remember a long time ago when I first read the books wondering about that

But yeah, I don't bother much with the movies anymore but I think I will go check this one out

But yeah, I like those books.....hopefully I'll get to reading them another time or two before I fall over
    Apparently there was this huge drama about who was going to direct it, and Peter Jackson stepped out for a while, but he's back in now, and that's good to hear, since he did such a phenomenal job on the others.

I've also heard that the main difference between the book and this movie will be the addition of a female character that goes on the journey...as much as I hate it when they add things like that in, I can understand how it makes sense for a film. There are no prominent female characters at all in The Hobbit...if there are even any mentioned. (Which I don't think there were).

But yeah, definitely something I'll actually pay to go see.

Nathan: But it's The Hobbit...it's an epic adventure all the way through!

If The Hobbit is like the other three movies, then that epic adventure is going to be slow paced for 75% of the movie and filled with a lot of walking and buildup. It will probably contain at least 10 spots in the last 30 to 45 minutes when the film could, and probably should, end but will drag on. It's not the kind of movie I can see in a theater. On the other hand, I may end up watching Goon, which looks more like a remake of Slapshot. And that's only because I can get discounted movie tickets where I work.

I'll wait until the movie is out on DVD, download it, then watch it as I get the chance, like the last couple of Pirates of the Carrabian movies that were just unnecessarily long. I understand people wanting to get their money's worth from a movie since it's like $10 for tickets now, but some of the run times are just plain ridiculous.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, I'm sure there'll be some walking........and it probably wont be particularily fast paced, but then niether was the book really. Bah, if I wanted fast paced i'd just go to work............Is it going to be filmed same place as the other movies were?

I never read the books. Minor dyslexia plus a short attention span made school hard enough, much less reading outside of school. I try from time to time, but it needs to be a really interesting book for me to actually finish it.

I haven't read the books but skimmed them a long time ago. I'm at a point now where I mostly read fiction as a reference for writing styles, and tend to criticize every story and piece of literature I come into contact with, but mostly keep it to myself.

I don't know if I'll see it in the theater but if not I'll see it eventually. In one of their youtube vlogs they talked about having to discolor everything on the set in order to get it to show up properly with the 3D cameras, which was interesting.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Can't wait to see it. For me, the Hobbit was always in a different section of my memory then the rest of LOTR. I read it when I was younger and was one of the first real imaginary worlds I spent a lot of time in.

LOTR was amazing obviously, but I was in college and averaged somewhere between 3-18 b0nghits a chapter whenever I read it.

And on that note, if you ever find yourself recovering from surgery and stuck home for a couple months, I recommend Unfinished Tales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Tales . Great for background, side tales... kinda like The Silmarillion I guess... but also super helpful for a quick reference for when all the b0nghits start taking a toll.

+ Reply to Thread