Default Re: This was really interesting - Jake Ryan does not exist

I Am Jake Ryan

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

*I* ... Am ... Jake Ryan.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Jake Ryan was a fickle and insecure boy. The author is right that that sort of guy doesn't leave his cheerleader girlfriend for the equally shallow unpopular girl, but he often cheats with her to boost his ego. The loser chick is going to be more impressed with him and lots of very desirable guys sometimes stray for that kind of positive reinforcement, especially when their main squeezes forget to give them as much support as they need.

btw who is Jake Ryan? (not joking)

OEC

Strike the Last Question. He does exist under a myriad of different names. He exists at all times and in all places.

OEC

EasyRider's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Strike the Last Question. He does exist under a myriad of different names. He exists at all times and in all places.

OEC
    If I hadn't actually liked in the article in the first post.....

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider
    If I hadn't actually liked in the article in the first post.....
    I tend to view these matters in the abstract. Literally, he is like Amelia said. Figuratively, he's the one who should remain unknown. Once known, he then ceases to exist.

OEC

I enjoyed the Hughes movies despite the fact that his heroes were the guys I hated in high school. While his heroins may have been the quirky girls, his heroes were the papered rich boys. I enjoyed them because they were nothing like highschool. I was so desperate for different even 16 candles was escape. But one thing always bothered me about 16 candles.

Jakes girlfriend was a grade A bitch, but that is what made Jake a weasel. He didn't break up with her, he tossed her. He dumped her drunk in a car with a horny freshman for a pair of panties and practically told him date raping her was AOK. He trapped he hair in the door while he was still with her to talk to another girl on the phone because he didn't have the unshaven dignity to dump her and move on, he just moved on and assumed the drunken freshman date **** would be a good enough hint.

I saw this movie after breakfast club and pretty in pink, and it was the one that soured me. The others were unbelievable, but like I said that didn't bother me. In this one the hero was a cock who everyone loved, and I saw that in real life more then enough. Then Heathers came along and shot, stabbed and poisoned all the popular kids, and that made everything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    I enjoyed the Hughes movies despite the fact that his heroes were the guys I hated in high school. While his heroins may have been the quirky girls, his heroes were the papered rich boys. I enjoyed them because they were nothing like highschool. I was so desperate for different even 16 candles was escape. But one thing always bothered me about 16 candles.

Jakes girlfriend was a grade A bitch, but that is what made Jake a weasel. He didn't break up with her, he tossed her. He dumped her drunk in a car with a horny freshman for a pair of panties and practically told him date raping her was AOK. He trapped he hair in the door while he was still with her to talk to another girl on the phone because he didn't have the unshaven dignity to dump her and move on, he just moved on and assumed the drunken freshman date **** would be a good enough hint.

I saw this movie after breakfast club and pretty in pink, and it was the one that soured me. The others were unbelievable, but like I said that didn't bother me. In this one the hero was a cock who everyone loved, and I saw that in real life more then enough. Then Heathers came along and shot, stabbed and poisoned all the popular kids, and that made everything better.
    I only wish Salinger had allowed "Heather Duke" to carry around Catcher in the Rye as opposed to Moby Dick. That was the original inspiration for Heathers.

I am excited about a new collaboration between Daniel Waters and the lead actress in Heathers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_Death_101
    She plays a stalker, I think it will be very

Some Heathers Trivia:
    Kim "Heather Chandler" Walker - "Do you think I ate a brain tumor for breakfast?" (Died of a brain tumor several years ago)

The actor who played the preppy "Let it be Harvard, I don't think I can handle suicide" Committed suicide in 2000. (I'd have to look up the name.)

The lead actress is from my home town. She was the first person to wish me happy birthday on one of my profiles. She generally no longer speaks to any of us beyond that. She is, however, a sweet woman. Sex and Death 101 should be out this year. It will be my first trip to a movie theater in 5 years. I think it will be an awesome film.

OEC

Heathers has a very special place in my heart. Althought I was raised mostly in SoCal, I was born in Ohio and due to a... dispute with my stepdad I ended up doing a year of high school back there.

I was at a little place called Worthington Highschool in 1988. It was clickish and alien to me. Schools in California had thier problems but they were problems I knew and understood. When Heathers came out I was deliriously happy. It was so on in many ways, except instead of Heathers we had Missys. They weren't as bad as the movie heathers, but it was still such a clickish school it drove me insane. I swore up down and sideways that he actually went to Worthington High.

The amusing part was, many many years later I heard he did.

Worthington, Ohio is known as a very conservative and preppy but altogether a nice surburbian town. It was always rumored that Heathers was based on that town and that something like it might have happened at Thomas Worthington High School.
    I wonder if this generation has a heathers...

Heathers has a very special place in my heart. Althought I was raised mostly in SoCal, I was born in Ohio and due to a... dispute with my stepdad I ended up doing a year of high school back there.

I was at a little place called Worthington Highschool in 1988. It was clickish and alien to me. Schools in California had thier problems but they were problems I knew and understood. When Heathers came out I was deliriously happy. It was so on in many ways, except instead of Heathers we had Missys. They weren't as bad as the movie heathers, but it was still such a clickish school it drove me insane. I swore up down and sideways that he actually went to Worthington High.

The amusing part was, many many years later I heard he did.

I wonder if this generation has a heathers...
    That who went to Worthington? Jason Dean? My sense has always been: had there been a follow up to Heathers, J.D. would not even exist (as much as I enjoyed the lead actor in the role)

As you probably know, Westerberg High is named after Paul Westerberg of The Replacements. (Song Color me Impressed etc). Heathers was filmed in just over a month.

I don't know about this generation, but I do know that Heathers are everywhere. Mean Girls has elicited some comparisons but I thought it was a horrible film. I fear this generation's "Heathers" is acting the damn thing out.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

jake ryan... all I can say is whatever... the popular boy at my highschool was a sack of shit that got fat and bald early in life, and has nothing to show for himself.... there was another article on that site that actually made me mad... it was about the mormons; don't get me wrong here... I'm not religious, but I was raised mormon. all I can say is that the people that wrote that article are nosy piles of shit. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, but I do know that although I left the church at 14, my parents are the best people and the best parents I could have ever wished for. not everyone can day this about thier parents.. but I can say it about mine.... I detest any one saying anything arbtrarary about anything they are involved in.... and yes, the mormon church is based in masonry.... joe smith was a mason.....

sorry, that was most deffinmetly a tangent.....

Sorry, that should be Daniel Waters, the write, who went to Worthington high briefly. Only he knows if the place actually inspired the movie, but from my admittedly biased PoV it sure seemed like it.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    jake ryan... all I can say is whatever... the popular boy at my highschool was a sack of shit that got fat and bald early in life, and has nothing to show for himself.... there was another article on that site that actually made me mad... it was about the mormons; don't get me wrong here... I'm not religious, but I was raised mormon. all I can say is that the people that wrote that article are nosy piles of shit. I don't know why I feel; so strongly about this, but I do know that although I left the church at 14, my paretnts are the best people and the best parents I copuld have ever wished for. npot everyone can dsay this about thier parents.. but I canm say it about mine.... I deytest any one saying anything arbtrarary about anythuimng they are involved in.... an yes, the mormon chgurch is based in masonry.... joe smith was a mason.....
    My late X-g/f was taken in by Mormons as a single mother. It was probably the most stable part of her short life. I don't agree with their beliefs, but they took in someone who was alone and disowned by family. Was she a faithful mormon? Well, no. They tried, though. So few even did.

OEC

Sorry, that should be Daniel Waters, the write, who went to Worthington high briefly. Only he knows if the place actually inspired the movie, but from my admittedly biased PoV it sure seemed like it.
    oh Waters? That wouldn't surprise me. It's a shame Waters doesn't write more. I don't think he realizes how good he is.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    jake ryan... all I can say is whatever... the popular boy at my highschool was a sack of shit that got fat and bald early in life, and has nothing to show for himself.... there was another article on that site that actually made me mad... it was about the mormons; don't get me wrong here... I'm not religious, but I was raised mormon. all I can say is that the people that wrote that article are nosy piles of shit. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, but I do know that although I left the church at 14, my parents are the best people and the best parents I could have ever wished for. not everyone can day this about thier parents.. but I can say it about mine.... I detest any one saying anything arbtrarary about anything they are involved in.... and yes, the mormon church is based in masonry.... joe smith was a mason.....

sorry, that was most deffinmetly a tangent.....
    It wasn't for me.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread