+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seen Kill Bill?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Seen Kill Bill?

So I just saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. I had heard that it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the first one and brought the whole story together. I had high expectations. I mean I really loved Pulp Fiction. True Romance was awfully good and I'm happy Quentin Tarantino's original ending got hollywoodized. Reservoir Dogs had some amazing dialog. I even thought his acting was entertaining in Four Rooms. Okay, his adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch was nothing to write home about. Kill Bill Vol. 1 didn't end; it just stopped and the pacing was painfully slow. Well Vol. 2 didn't get any better than Vol. 1 really. Well, it was probably better, but it was still . . . I hate to say it . . . but it struck me as pretty lame. What do you all think?

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

Default Re: Seen Kill Bill?

wow i just rented that...

toodles
    the chris

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

i liked it. i found it funny.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

If your are a fan of samurai movies and old seventies era stuff you'll love it

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    So I just saw Kill Bill Vol. 2. I had heard that it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the first one and brought the whole story together. I had high expectations. I mean I really loved Pulp Fiction. True Romance was awfully good and I'm happy Quentin Tarantino's original ending got hollywoodized. Reservoir Dogs had some amazing dialog. I even thought his acting was entertaining in Four Rooms. Okay, his adaptation of Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch was nothing to write home about. Kill Bill Vol. 1 didn't end; it just stopped and the pacing was painfully slow. Well Vol. 2 didn't get any better than Vol. 1 really. Well, it was probably better, but it was still . . . I hate to say it . . . but it struck me as pretty lame. What do you all think?
    girl under impression =)

i didn't saw it....

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I havent even seen the first one.

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

dont really want too

Amethyst's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperino
    If your are a fan of samurai movies and old seventies era stuff you'll love it
    True my friend. I don't understand how people who haven't watched samurai and yakuza movies or anime could like it. It was very good as a parody, but if you don't get the parody part, it's pritty lame movie.

Sceptic_Messiah's Avatar Senior Member

i have the first one so i might as well buy the second one to complete the set but i wasnt impressed with the volume 1 so i guess i shouldent look forward to anything in volume 2

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst
    True my friend. I don't understand how people who haven't watched samurai and yakuza movies or anime could like it. It was very good as a parody, but if you don't get the parody part, it's pritty lame movie.
    Most people I know who love it have never even seen films from said genre's. You don't have to be a film geek to like it...it's also far from a parody since it uses the genre's and builds on them...he's done that in all his films. I'll go into detail later in the week on what I think about the film/films...but for now all I'll say is....if you dig what it's base don you'll get more out of it...but at it's heart it's a solid story that you can either identify and fall into...or be left out in the cold. While film junkies will desect this till they've shown how uberfilmgeek they are...it's jsut not the point. The story goes where it should given the logic of such films and the reality it represents...as you can guess I love the films...

Having watched it many times you do notice how much the Yakuza,Anime, and Samurai homages end rather quickly since their is MUCH more of an American Western vibe to the entire work than much else. Even in the hardcore Japanese cinema scenes you can practicly see John Fords spirit oozing from shot after shot and scene after scene...not to mention the very john wayne like badass Uma's character portrays in many scenes...

Add the Segio Leone vibe to the mix and you have about as close to an old skool western as you will get. I'll go into more detail on this later though.

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

Both kicked ass. Not without flaws, but i thought they both rocked

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

i watched it a 3 am, so i was fairly out of it, but i did like what i saw, ill see it again today

toodles
    the chris

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

well now he's doing a movie called Hero....I hope it's decent

I think both volumes are great. the first one is full of action. but you'll have to see the second one to understand the story whats going on.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

I liked the "eye-scene" in the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    I liked the "eye-scene" in the trailer
    that was also one of my fav scene's!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by CPRB
    well now he's doing a movie called Hero....I hope it's decent
    Actually the only thing he did on that film was buy it's U.S. Domestic rights. It was a film that did well around the world...kind of a last hurrah of HK Cinema in a way since it's in a dire need of new life.

Quote Originally Posted by publicharakiri
    I think both volumes are great. the first one is full of action. but you'll have to see the second one to understand the story whats going on.

I thought there were a bunch of great scenes in the two movies. And, of course, great dialog because Tarantino is the master of that. But not as much great dialog as in other movies he has done. And I am just not down with making the dough for two movies when you've really only made one. If a movie is good, the audience should not have to wait a year to find out what story there was, if any.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I thought there were a bunch of great scenes in the two movies. And, of course, great dialog because Tarantino is the master of that. But not as much great dialog as in other movies he has done. And I am just not down with making the dough for two movies when you've really only made one. If a movie is good, the audience should not have to wait a year to find out what story there was, if any.
    It was not his call though...the studio asked for the 2 volume cut since a 3 to 3 1/2 hour film would be a tough sell to distributors...only the LotR films got such an easy in with their long running times. Volume 2 was suppose to come out on Valentines day but was pushed back when the DVD of vol 1 was also pushed back...there was suppose to only be a 3 month gap between the releases...but Miramax wanted to let Vol 1. make as much money as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    It was not his call though...the studio asked for the 2 volume cut since a 3 to 3 1/2 hour film would be a tough sell to distributors...only the LotR films got such an easy in with their long running times. Volume 2 was suppose to come out on Valentines day but was pushed back when the DVD of vol 1 was also pushed back...there was suppose to only be a 3 month gap between the releases...but Miramax wanted to let Vol 1. make as much money as possible.

But so much of the pacing was painfully slow. When a scene of someone being buried alive goes on so long that it passes from scary to dullsville, someone needs an edit.

We rented both movies the other night.....Wasted 4 hours of my life...I could have been scatchin my balls or something...

I love Tarentinos work....But this movie just lacked a lot for me..

Hula Hoop Supervisor

But so much of the pacing was painfully slow. When a scene of someone being buried alive goes on so long that it passes from scary to dullsville, someone needs an edit.
    Yeah the pacing of the second film may be a bit much for msot these days...it's actually cut a lot like old westerns and samurai films of the 60's. Very methodical with long scenes and takes meant not so much to convay one emotion but a wide range...boredom is one I hear a lot of when this style is used or those old films are shown.

Sadly though a lot of it is due to the TV...unless a person has a projector set up then these films feel painfully slow at times. It's kinda like watching Lawrence of Arabia on a TV then seeing it on a massive screen...as much as we've educated our eyes and mind their are still huge gaps that ruin an experience. Their are some films I love for example that bore me to tears at home on my home theater set up.

It's bothered me SO much that I'm investing in a projector set up this coming year. Presentation like in any art is a key factor.

Plus lets be honest...we're all far too use to fast paced entertianment.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

I have both on DVD........... the only Tarantino film I don't have is Jackie Brown.

Amethyst's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Most people I know who love it have never even seen films from said genre's. You don't have to be a film geek to like it...it's also far from a parody since it uses the genre's and builds on them...he's done that in all his films. I'll go into detail later in the week on what I think about the film/films...but for now all I'll say is....if you dig what it's base don you'll get more out of it...but at it's heart it's a solid story that you can either identify and fall into...or be left out in the cold. While film junkies will desect this till they've shown how uberfilmgeek they are...it's jsut not the point. The story goes where it should given the logic of such films and the reality it represents...as you can guess I love the films...

Having watched it many times you do notice how much the Yakuza,Anime, and Samurai homages end rather quickly since their is MUCH more of an American Western vibe to the entire work than much else. Even in the hardcore Japanese cinema scenes you can practicly see John Fords spirit oozing from shot after shot and scene after scene...not to mention the very john wayne like badass Uma's character portrays in many scenes...

Add the Segio Leone vibe to the mix and you have about as close to an old skool western as you will get. I'll go into more detail on this later though.
    Sorry parody was wrong word there, my bad. I meant it takes many elements from these genres and makes you smile when there are those cliches you love the most. I didn't want to sound like this movie is only for otakus and film geeks, but I just can't imagine how I would have liked it if I didn't have the background that I have. I enjoyed Kill Bill very much and I hope everyone else will too.
    PS. I love films too

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I really gave up on old QT when Pulp Fiction came out. He's a fantastic writer in my opinion. Not to say he did a "Citizen Kane" or anything like that, I just don't really feel he conveys something that really speaks with me. But, I did see Emelie lately, and I have to say that is my most favorite Chick-flick to date.

+ Reply to Thread