Thread: riot girls-

nyar's Avatar The Crawling Chaos

Default riot girls-

ok-
    I sent some jokes that a current thread had to some of my friends-
    they
    like me
    can't figure out what the fuck a "riot girl" is-
    Is this just another silly little clique?- something for the punky/metal/goth teeny-boppers? I've seen suicide girls- but not riot girls
    please enlighten-

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: riot girls-

I've seen Kathleen Hanna strip...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I've seen Kathleen Hanna strip...
    At this point who hasn't?

Riot Grrls , at least how I remember them, had more to do with all female "alternative" bands that started life in the early 90's music scene. The exact defenition I think later evolved into something a bit more all encompassing in terms of female empowerment in that odd lil era.

Haven't heard that term since I was in High School though to be honest.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Riot Grrls , at least how I remember them, had more to do with all female "alternative" bands that started life in the early 90's music scene. The exact defenition I think later evolved into something a bit more all encompassing in terms of female empowerment in that odd lil era.
    I'm probably stepping on toes or whatever, but I honestly always kinda thought that scene was somewhat hypocritical at its core. I'm all for bad-ass women running their own businesses or leading their own bands, either with an iron fist or perhaps with an aim towards a more compassionate way of doing things. But that scene really bred the fake DIY esthetic when people pretend they are all homegrown and cutesy when really it's all just a big marketing ploy. I really think taking the business and pseudo-artistic tactic of pretending to be little and homey and weak to get an edge in the marketplace is about the most non-empowering scheme I can think of. Riot-grrl evokes images of strength and tenacity and fighting for what is right for the world we live in, and although they had the terminology for that down pat, the words and the actions just never seemed to match up.

This is not to say that every individual that identified with parts of that scene is somehow a liar or a sham. These are actually kinda more my feelings about some of the businesses that wrap themselves in the terminology of that scene, so I guess it's more fair to say that the honestly non-commercial ends deserve more respect than the coat-tailers and trend-jumpers.

Bedlamite

Personally, I've always had an idealised version of the Riot Girl. In my little world, a riot girl is a bad ass who can fight like a man, party like a rock-n-roll star, and is a fashion disaster that inspires. Tank Girl was a Riot Girl. The Girl from the comic "Kill Your Boyfriend" was also a template Riot Girl.

However, having said that, I must agree that the reality vs. my own little fantasy world is different. Most of the time girls who call themselves Riot are poseurs at best...Somthing like Hot Topic Punks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I'm probably stepping on toes or whatever, but I honestly always kinda thought that scene was somewhat hypocritical at its core. I'm all for bad-ass women running their own businesses or leading their own bands, either with an iron fist or perhaps with an aim towards a more compassionate way of doing things. But that scene really bred the fake DIY esthetic when people pretend they are all homegrown and cutesy when really it's all just a big marketing ploy. I really think taking the business and pseudo-artistic tactic of pretending to be little and homey and weak to get an edge in the marketplace is about the most non-empowering scheme I can think of. Riot-grrl evokes images of strength and tenacity and fighting for what is right for the world we live in, and although they had the terminology for that down pat, the words and the actions just never seemed to match up.

This is not to say that every individual that identified with parts of that scene is somehow a liar or a sham. These are actually kinda more my feelings about some of the businesses that wrap themselves in the terminology of that scene, so I guess it's more fair to say that the honestly non-commercial ends deserve more respect than the coat-tailers and trend-jumpers.
    Eloquent as always. Very well said. What riot grrls were supposed to be was a hot idea. The weak bitchy whiners with trust funds and secret major label backers they turned out to be was very disappointing.

+ Reply to Thread