+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead soldier gets no pentacle on his Tombstone!

Default Dead soldier gets no pentacle on his Tombstone!

Source here

For Wiccan soldier, death brings fight

NO, Nev. - Nevada officials are pressing the Department of Veteran Affairs to allow the family of a soldier killed in Afghanistan to place a Wiccan symbol on his headstone.

Federal officials so far have refused to grant the requests of the family of Sgt. Patrick Stewart, 34, who was killed in Afghanistan in September when the Nevada Army National Guard helicopter he was in was shot down.

Every veteran and military member deserves recognition for their contributions to our country,î said Tim Tetz, executive director of the Nevada Office of Veterans Services.

The state's top veterans official said Thursday that he was diligently pursuing the matter in cooperation with Gov. Kenny Guinn, Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Rep. Jim Gibbons, R-Nev.

Sgt. Stewart and his family deserve recognition for their contributions to our country, Tetz said.

It's unfortunate the process is taking so long, but I am certain Sgt. Patrick will ultimately receive his marker with the Wiccan symbol, he said.

Department does not recognize the Wiccan symbol
    Stewart, of Fernley, who was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart, was a follower of the Wiccan religion, which the Department of Veterans Affairs does not recognize.

Wiccans worship the Earth and believe they must give to the community. Some consider themselves witches, pagans or neo-pagans.

The Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration allows only approved emblems of religious beliefs on government headstones. Over the years, it has approved more than 30, including symbols for the Tenrikyo Church, United Moravian Church and Sikhs. There's also an emblem for atheists, but none for Wiccans.

Stewart's widow, Roberta Stewart, said she's hopeful she'll receive permission to add the Wiccan pentacle, a circle around a five-pointed star to her late husband's government-issued memorial plaque.

While Memorial Day services are scheduled Monday at the Northern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Fernley, Roberta Stewart plans an alternative service at FernleyÍs Out of Town Park. She's calling the ceremony the Sgt. Patrick Stewart Freedom for All Faiths Memorial Service.

This is discrimination against our religion, Roberta Stewart said. The least his country can do is give him the symbol of faith as he would have wished,î she recently told the Daily Sparks Tribune.

Wiccan minister frustrated with lack of progress
    The Rev. Selena Fox, senior minister of the Wiccan Circle Sanctuary in Barneveld, Wis., is among those who have been pushing the federal government to adopt the emblem. She said the Veterans Affairs Department has been considering such requests for nearly nine years with no decision.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: Dead soldier gets no pentacle on his Tombstone!

that is true. they classify all pagan or religous symbols and beliefs other than islam, judaism,christianity and budhism as "other" i told them going in that i was a laveyan satanist and other is what they put on my dogtags. sucks though they wont atleast respect his families wishes and put it on his tombstone. there shoudl be a limit to what they can and cannot do.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I had that some problem when i went into the Navy... I told them that I was multi-religious, and they put down "other"..

Multi-religious, cause I rock, and tore apart some religions, throwing out the stuff that is BS, and keeping the good things...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

his family should get like a six foot pentacle and stick it in front of his grave

Its because of the fundamental belifes of those in power ,
    I feel even if( Other) is on the dog tags of those that fought and died for this country ,we should respect the fact the peson gave ther life for the rights and freedom to have what ever they wanted on there tombstone .and im sure that Others< that have gave their life, be it from a different country that have join Our services have what they want on there marker..even if they had different beliefs and god"s""" not 1 god as some may have ..

Of course all in good taste ,if the said person was buried in Arlington then they can say what is a appropriate and make a decision as to what can be on the marker ,a simple pentagram is not offensive to me.but maybe to some it is .
    Any way i hope he gets his Marker ,even in Arlington ,the man gave his life for a country im proud to live in and he deserves it..

Mother Superior

That's the United States Government for you... no dignity even when you died serving this country.

if i got killed in some stupid ass war for a bunch of shithead greedfuck fake ass evangelical christian cornpone oil nazis i'd hope that my family demanded my marker be a cross made up of large engorged penises, with the central piece being a big fist giving the middle finger.

it's the least they could do...

offensive? fuck that, he died for stupid greed, and they want to claim it's offensive? have respect for those who die to make you rich.

then again there's a fundementalist christian group out there protesting soldier's funerals claiming that homosexuals are bringing gawd's wrath down on the soldiers, and their families... i'm a freedom of speech extreamist...but i also think ass kicking's should be legal.

oh well.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

well as much as hte fluffy bunnie set makes my teeth feel raw, I applaud the forward movement in accepting people's personal beliefs, esp in death.
    K

you know keiko i aspire to be a fluffy bunny when i grow up

http://www.buzzpatrol.com/news/funny...you-004049.php

Raven0129's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Multi-religious, cause I rock, and tore apart some religions, throwing out the stuff that is BS, and keeping the good things...
    You mean like being able to have 7 wives?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    I had that some problem when i went into the Navy... I told them that I was multi-religious, and they put down "other"..

you were in the navy too? surface or sub?

lol the EB kickin ass lol ..lmfao

+ Reply to Thread