+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you a good driver?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are you a good driver?

Do you have a drivers license? Are you good behind the wheel? Do your friends and family think you are a good driver? Does the DMV or your country's equivalent think you are a good driver? What characteristics make a good driver i.e. being able to drive really fast, react quickly, know when too drunk to grab the keys, careful at intersections, know a particular sort of car well, etc.?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default Re: Are you a good driver?

I've been driving for 22 years and only had two fender benders that were not my fault. I think the biggest thing is really to be a defensive driver. My dad taught me how to drive when I was young. He taught me, "Never worry about your own driving because you know how to drive. It's all the morons in front and sides of you that you have to watch out for." He was dead on and I've often been amazed at how so many people on the road seem to have gotten their driver's license from a cracker jack box.

Ingridsca1's Avatar Member

I agree with Ajax. I've been driving for about 20 years and have also only had two accidents both of which were not my fault. Hell, I wasn't even in the car for one of them.

I was spending the night at my friend's house, brushing my teeth, getting ready for bed, minding my own business when I hear a screech, bang, crash! Oh shit. You know that's never good. So I go out side and my car that was parked in front of the house has been been hit. So the teenage bitch that didn't know how to drive or have a license that lived literally ACROSS THE STREET, sped away from her house, smashed into my car and then, just to get double points, totalled my friend's truck. How can you do that in 20 feet???? Oh yeah, did I mention that she fled the scene. I told her she was a dumb bitch because its not like we don't know where she lives. And oh yeah, you forgot your purse! Then her sister starts yelling at us and telling us it was our fault?!
    I got a little Jerry Springer at that. Her sister was a drunk, fucking, cunt. Did I mention I'm still bitter? Maybe because the cops weren't even going to give her a ticket. Oh boo hoo, she's just a teenager. I threw a fit at that. I don't think they liked it much when I told them I had a mispent youth- I should've been out robbing and murdering people since you can apparaenlty get away with anything if your an underage piece of shit. I think they MIGHT have given her a ticket after that.

Anyway, she also caused the second accident. When she hit me and my insurance "fixed" the car, they didn't realize that she had messed up my electrical system and brakes. So a few weeks later my brakes went out and I rear ended a truck- not much damage done though. When they looked inside they said my brakes had been on fire and everything was melted. :-(

I'm a great getaway driver, but day to day driving doesn't require enough processor cycles for me to concentrate on it. The thing that makes that scary, is that i'm a road warrior (road tech), so drive quite a bit...

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I can drive anything with wheels, from small cars to 5 ton diesels to forklifts, hell I even drove a tank once (about 200 yards to load it on a boat, controls are kind of like a motorcycle, which I can also maneuver on). The accidents I have been in were young stupid kid shit, but since then there's been no problems. I'm also use to driving on ice, snow, and in heavy rain.

Ingridsca1's Avatar Member

Ugh! I suck at driving forklifts!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I wasn't so great at first, hell I dropped a pallet of cases of water, but to my defense the pallet wasn't put together all wrong. But now, I can have a trailer on the forks and a trailer hitched to the fork lift and do everything, usually completely ignoring my ground guide other than stopping to keep from running over idiots who walk in front of a fork lift.

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Yes - I Have a Driv' Lic'.
    I've been a Driver for over 26 Yrs.

Owned three cars,(*in the Past)

Driven Cars, Moving Trucks,
    n' Etc'...

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Ingridsca1
    I agree with Ajax. I've been driving for about 20 years and have also only had two accidents both of which were not my fault. Hell, I wasn't even in the car for one of them.

I was spending the night at my friend's house, brushing my teeth, getting ready for bed, minding my own business when I hear a screech, bang, crash! Oh shit. You know that's never good. So I go out side and my car that was parked in front of the house has been been hit. So the teenage bitch that didn't know how to drive or have a license that lived literally ACROSS THE STREET, sped away from her house, smashed into my car and then, just to get double points, totalled my friend's truck. How can you do that in 20 feet???? Oh yeah, did I mention that she fled the scene. I told her she was a dumb bitch because its not like we don't know where she lives. And oh yeah, you forgot your purse! Then her sister starts yelling at us and telling us it was our fault?!
    I got a little Jerry Springer at that. Her sister was a drunk, fucking, cunt. Did I mention I'm still bitter? Maybe because the cops weren't even going to give her a ticket. Oh boo hoo, she's just a teenager. I threw a fit at that. I don't think they liked it much when I told them I had a mispent youth- I should've been out robbing and murdering people since you can apparaenlty get away with anything if your an underage piece of shit. I think they MIGHT have given her a ticket after that.

Anyway, she also caused the second accident. When she hit me and my insurance "fixed" the car, they didn't realize that she had messed up my electrical system and brakes. So a few weeks later my brakes went out and I rear ended a truck- not much damage done though. When they looked inside they said my brakes had been on fire and everything was melted. :-(

I've had the same thing where my car's electrical system got effed up by someone rear-ending me at a red light where I was stopped. Pleased the brakes never caught fire though. Wow.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I have no idea if I'm a good driver, no accidents or tickets, but does that really mean anything

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I am a very good driver unless I'm really mad about something, then I get kind of dangerous. O the other hand, I just realized how long it's been since I drove a stick shift and that kind of scares me. I wonder how easy it would be for me at this point.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

driving stick's like riding a bike..................unless you've developed problems with your clutch foot

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

I HaTe STICK, - LOLOLOOL....

I Admit I Can't DRIVE a STICK,..
    all The TRUCKs wer automat',.
    an' My cars too...

My Records very good too.

though I have a "PAST" in stratigic manuvours, n' *Running'.......
    ~ ( *Don't ASK,..it's PRIVATE Contractors <past> work ).....

I'm a very good driver. I sometimes drive a 9 person transit van at work, and you really need to know what the other driver behind, beside and in front are gonna do before they do it. It is usually very easy to see if some muppet is gonna undertake me, and act like a complete arse on the road ( they are normally the boy racers with the huge exhaust and stupid looking spoiler).
    But i admit i also get road rage i fecking hate bad drivers. It is far too easy for ppl to get their licence nowadays, especially when there is less and less driving space now.

I prefer to have someone else drive for safety's sake.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I'm very good driver, just everyone else here Atlanta can not drive. They cause me to a get a little mad...

+ Reply to Thread