+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acting

Mother Superior

Default Acting

Do you think you could act in a movie or play a part in one if you had the chance? I am pretty good at memorizing and remembering things, I am not sure If I could do it though. I have only acted once in a play in Elementary school. I was the wild monkey, I guess his name is Nikko in The Wizard of Oz. Heh.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: Acting

Everyone can act, just some have stage fright. Acting is what we do 99% of the time we're awake - pretending to smile at the cashier, being interested in a long phone call, not being too tired to go out. Breaking into pictures or staying in home movies is just a case of what you look like and where you are when the lucky breaks pass by - memorizing lines is a plus, but that's what script assistants are for! I can still quote all of Macbeth from 20 years ago but modern dialog isn't strange enough to sink in for more than 10 minutes. Thank the Gods that changing the second verse of a live song is thought of as "creative improv" not "screwing up".

mG

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

My main stumbling block would be my stammer.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

People smile at cashiers?!? For as long as I've been working retail, that hardly happens, most of the time they seem to act like you don't exist and won't quit yammering on the their cell phone. Anyway, that's for a different thread.

I'd like to think I can. I've been complimented on my acting, but I'm so hyper critical of what I do, that I don't ever see anything good I'm doing, just the bad. I don't really have the technique down for stage acting. I feel really uncomfortable acting that broadly so what you are doing can be read in the back row. I prefer to do the more intimate acting that is required for film and television.

Voice acting is probably the hardest type of acting that I have done, but also the most fun. Trying to show your intentions through voice alone is very difficult.

I'd rather not play a lead, though. I'm more of a character actor and would rather do the the supporting roles, which tend to be character parts anyway.

And lastly,most actors seem to think that doing drama is easier than comedy. For me, I find the opposite to be true.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    My main stumbling block would be my stammer.
    You do know that James Earl Jones was advised to get into acting in order to help him get over the stuttering he used to do in his youth?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

In my drama class the teacher had one of those clever sayings pasted to the front of his deak

"Asking ot get inot acting is like asking for admittance to an asylum. Anyone my apply but only the truely insane are committed."

I've learned that this is true. once I got my certificate I was in LOTS of local plays....never the lead though. Most of the plays were musical and my voice didn't hit those notes.

K

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

I think id be a good actor, i really do. BUT i have trouble remembering thing... like someone can tell me a phone number and right after i have to ask to repeat it again... and then again and again i swear.. then again i think i have a problem with numbers. Also im extremly shy. Ive performed on stage with my orchestra many many times and each time i was always a nervous wreck.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I can act. I favor Stanislavski personally. I would probably be the worst celebrity in human history, however.

OEC

ya i had film making and drama in high school ,,that helped me act my way thur life soo far ,,did i win a Oscar r a Emmy ,,NO!
    but id may have been a ok actor ,but im more of a comedian ,and do impov type stuff on the spot ,just ask my freinds ,well you dont know them but im sure they;d say ,ya he can act stupid at times ,and he can act like he knows what the fyck hes talkin about ,.and he can be very funny when he drinkin.....,but he stop so hes so serious all the time lately , would some even go so far as to say " YOU sux !" ,and id say but dont tell any one or they;ll all want some. but ya i could have been a good actor i think ,

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessBill
    You do know that James Earl Jones was advised to get into acting in order to help him get over the stuttering he used to do in his youth?
    Yes, but unfortunately my stammer is a nervous condition. I can't even talk on the phone some times.You wouldn't believe how many times I've had people hang up on my because of it. (That makes me angry, which I hate being.) And then I have to call them back and try again. Which makes me even more nervous, thus we have a very vicious circle.

Bedlamite

I love to act, its the actors that drive me crazy...( -_- )

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

if you payed me I'd do it

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

sure, im a stage actor and movie acting is supposed to be a hell of a lot easier than stage acting.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

If I could i would.. I would like to get into voice acting..

Mother Superior

I have always wanted to do the voice of a cartoon character. That would be fun.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I did a lot of acting in high school but lost interest for the most part. I did voice overs for a student film for some friends that was quite a bit better. I'd be more suited to voice work in general.

I tied a few times in plays but found I could do it but never much liked it. I prefer doing film work in editing or production or direction.

Actors are to annoying and have to much ego, usually.

+ Reply to Thread