+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ComicCon 2004

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default ComicCon 2004

Got the Comic Con 2004 and X-Sanguin III coverage posted now at http://www.blueblood.net/bb_122.html. Whoo-hoo!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: ComicCon 2004

Reading it now actually...great stuff. Has more color and life to in than most of the comic book only sites.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I like the blue one. Did you buy her and bring her back?

*sigh* I didn't have the funds to go though I really wish I had. A buttload of my fave artists were there and lil geek chicks are always hot. *sigh* maybe next year....
    K

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by keiko

*sigh* I didn't have the funds to go though I really wish I had. A buttload of my fave artists were there and lil geek chicks are always hot. *sigh* maybe next year....
    K
    Yeah I was pretty broke and I never like going there without some serious cash to spend. Plus the portfolio I wanted to show just didn't sit well with me...back to the drawing board for me.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by keiko

K

Haha, we should have! Actually, that's our friend Scar. She always looks awesome. I think that's because she really IS awesome.

Maybe you can come down with us next year? That could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Yeah I was pretty broke and I never like going there without some serious cash to spend. Plus the portfolio I wanted to show just didn't sit well with me...back to the drawing board for me.
    Yeah, I didn't visit as many of the artist booths this year. I kinda meant to, but there is just so much to do. I didn't buy anything really though. There was a Sock Monster puppet that was really cool and I really liked the "The World Is Yours" replica statue form Scarface. It would look good on my messy desk, hahaha...

I didn't find the culture of the convention to be terribly fun though. It kinda did feel a little more like being at the mall and less like being at a silly dorky Con. However, there were a lot of really neet things and a bunch of friends and stuff. So that was cool.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Reading it now actually...great stuff. Has more color and life to in than most of the comic book only sites.
    Thank you Context is so important to me and so many sites seem to be so niched out and focused on one teensy topic that I feel the sharp focus sort of removes the relevance and importance of the thing they made a whole site about. Trying to find the happy medium between that and the sites so general no one could feel really at home there.

I love Scar... She's well.. amazing. It doesn't get anymore simple than that. I'm glad you guys did some cool stuff and took some cool pictures. <3

And check out Yolanda with the blonde hair. It took me a minute to place it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I didn't find the culture of the convention to be terribly fun though. It kinda did feel a little more like being at the mall and less like being at a silly dorky Con. However, there were a lot of really neet things and a bunch of friends and stuff. So that was cool.
    It'll be like that for a few more years at least...it's only now many comic shops are actually making money selling comics again (most get by on selling collectible card games and various comic related merch like action figures) so I'm no surprised it felt like a mall. It's a good thing since many shops vanished over the last 8 years. When the drop off fell it fell hard...books that sold 500,000 copies tanked to less than 300,000 and indies that would sell 10,000 dropped to less than 5000. For a while there it looked like the post comic code years.

One casuality was a little known but amazing shop called Shooting Star in Glendale. It was FAR better than Golden Apple for a few key reasons...1. Their selection was MUCH better...and that's saying something. You could literally find anything and everything ranging from erotic and adult work to old skool strps from the 1940's. 2. They got a good number of local pro's to come in and hang out in a very casual way. Sometimes TOO casual as I would hear many rants and behind the scenes stuff that kinda burst my fanboy bubble at the time. Lastly it was very comfortable and felt like you were combing through a vast unending archive.

Sadly it closed it's doors when comics began to really nose dive sales wise in the late 90's. Plus the owner was burned out on it ...I really miss that shop. Nowadays I order through Mile High Comics...I find all I need but it's just not the same.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Szandora
    I love Scar... She's well.. amazing. It doesn't get anymore simple than that.. <3
    I second that...

One casuality was a little known but amazing shop called Shooting Star in Glendale...
    That's too bad. I wish there were more places to just go hang out, look at stuff we enjoy, and be sociable and stuff. It seems like that's harder and harder to find these days.

+ Reply to Thread