+ Reply to Thread

Thread: choosing one's time of death

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Default choosing one's time of death

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...icides-UK.html

I've been a huge fan of Mr. Prachett's for years, and was extremely sad two years ago when he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Reading his statement, which I've linked above, really only further solidified my opinions on the issue-I have always been in favor of being able to die in a dignified fashion.

Are you for or against people selecting their own time to die? If you're generally against it, would someone's suffering from a terminal illness change your position?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: choosing one's time of death

Yeah, my grandpa was going to kill himself after he got Alzheimer's

But he forgot.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

They put down animals in the name of "humane", but for humans....Well that's just horrible, evil, and sick...Haha!

I never could understand why it's against the law. A law that's based on religion, I guess....Like most "moral" laws.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

It should be your right to get someone to drag you behind the barn when you've had enough.

at this point most people are scared shitless of dying..............I guess that religion isn't doing what it's suppose to

Most of the folks in the UK who are still of a mind to make these kinds of preparations are heading to clinics in Switzerland where they can have assisted suicides.
    Personally, I don't like that term, but it is, in essense what it is. Needless to say, I would rather like the choice if fate decides I am going to get that much warning.
    I'm also a huge fan of Sir Terry and like Anna, was gutted when I heard that he had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. For a man whose brain is quite that remarkable, to be in a position to have to watch it deteriorate, must be horrible.
    Do I have any ethical objection to someone making plans for how they should pass? No. If they can make that choice and want to depart with a little dignity rather than be a burden to loved ones, or seeing out their days in hospitals or old folks homes etc. why deny them that.
    Anyone with religious objections should feel free to voice their opinions, but not take away someone's rights to what little quality of life they may have left.
    Anyway, if it turns out there are higher powers, I'm sure they have 'got it covered' if a slap on the wrist for suicide is needed.

+ Reply to Thread